NLE Software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 12th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #1
Major Player

NLE Software

Does any one spend more than $99 to get Video editing software, Is it worth investing that much for a non professional work?

I hear these are the best softwares

Vegas (#1)

Adobe Premiere

FCP if u have mac

MGI Video Wave(came with adaptec firewire)

Any other software u r using and post your experiences.

I need a cheap software to grab 16:9 footage by this cam. I have MGI, but it doesn't grab 16:9 footage! any idea /suggestion?
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 02:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Maybe Pinnacle?

Hi Samuel,

I'm not sure if this helps but "Studio 8" from Pinnacle has a maximum resolution of 720x480 capture.

The website says NTSC only but my software has a PAL/NTSC setting in the capture mode setup menu. Hmmm...

I'll be ordering my gs100 on Friday and should be able to tell you more on compatibility a week or so after that... (I can't wait) ;-)

If you already have firewire and/or AV inputs in your PC, the software package alone is US $99 direct from Pinnacle, $69 from Gateway.com and you might even find it cheaper if you look around.

Their 'pro' software Pinnacle Edition 5 is about US $650... Yikes!

Studio 8 (OEM version) came with my video card. It was US $45 or so to upgrade to the full version of the software.

Pinacle makes various capture hardware as well if you need it but I've no experiance with that.
Old August 13th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Donald,
Welcome to our GS 100 Camera group!

I have adaptec firewire and MGI software that comes with that,it downloads dv footage from my gs 100 to PC , IT downloads wonderful footage from cam, but when i have 16:9 footage, it considers as if it is also 4:3 and shows the same squashed footage!

Hope you can check with pinnacle and verify how it differentiates 16:9
Old August 13th, 2003, 03:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Samuel, try a google search for reviews of Movie Maker 2. This is supposed to be a freebie from Micro$oft. I've seen some positive evaluations. Not high end, don't know if/how it handles widescreen stuff, but may be worth checking out - on the theory that it's good to learn how to crawl before trying to run.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Patricia,

Long time no see!! Had a good vacation?

Movie maker 2 is only for windows XP, I have Windows ME,

So, May be i have to upgrade to xp to use it or try other softwares
;)
Old August 14th, 2003, 02:04 AM   #6
Major Player

Oops. Well, it may be a question of deciding whether you'd rather pay more for editing software or for upgrading (?) your OS. Anyway, MM2 is discussed as the entry level dv editing software for Windoze in the same breath as iMovie is for the Mac. I'm having great fun with iMovie, so...
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

As far as I can tell, Pinnacle will import DV at whatever resolution it was shot at.

If you film at 720x480, you can render, export back out to DVD at the same res.

740x480 works out to 16:10.6 not 16:9 but the question is, does the DV format even support true 16:9? I'm not sure.

I got an email from Pinnacle tonight to let me know that current, registered "Studio" users can upgrade to "Edition 5" for only US $299... (MSRP $699 - Lowest I've seen it so far was about $650 but I havn't searched all that hard.)

It had some links to various demo videos showing all the neato features of Edition including the ability to expand the interface up to 1600x1200 screen res and to view the video you are editing in any res up to the full DV 720x480 while you are editing it instead of being stuck with a little, low res view.

It also includes 2D and 3D rendering studio stuff so you can make titles and video flip and rotate on screen in realtime before having to render it to disk to really see what you made...

I'm pondering the upgrade.
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:21 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Newbee

What does 16:9 mean ?

maybe stupid ?

Cheerrs,
\
Lincoln
Lincoln Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:22 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hello Samual,

Are you here in Japan?

Just Wondering!
Old August 21st, 2003, 10:35 AM   #10
Regular Crew

16:9 means Anamorphic. The format of Widescreen DVDs. DV supports Anamorphic by stretching the pixels so that they are not square anymore. There are still only 720x480 pixels.

GS100 supports Anamorphic in Wide and ProCinema mode. I have been able to upload clips shot in Anamorphic (ProCinema) format onto my Mac without an issue.

Personally, I prefer to shoot in Anamorphic as it gives me more creative freedom to place subjects on a wide horizon. 4:3 forces you to try to keep your subject centered at all times. To shoot in Anamorphic on a GS100 you may want to get a distortion free wide angle lens. It just opens scenery and allows you to get closer to your subjects.
Eng Yew Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 11:19 AM   #11
Major Player

Lincoln,

No, I am in US, California. :)
Old August 21st, 2003, 07:58 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for the informative answer.....I am seeing clearly now,

Cheers Lincoln,

So we cant meet for sushi and sake and run through the NV-100K........Samual........... since your in Calafornia
Old August 21st, 2003, 08:39 PM   #13
Major Player

Yes lincoln, I wish I will be oneday in Japan to have sushi!!
Old August 21st, 2003, 08:45 PM   #14
Major Player

I eat lots of sushi in CA. (I'm not talking about California Roll) :)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 02:05 PM   #15
New Boot

Hi Samuel,

I'm using both Adobe premiere and Vegas to capture DV from GS100 and both working great.
You can capture 16:9 footage using both program. Personally I prefer Vegas because Vegas is much easier than premiere(to give same effect) and it's using mainconcept DV codec which is better (people said but I couldn't distinguish by my eyes though) than MS DV codec which is used by premiere. However premiere has a lot of third party add-on program. I guess Vegas is cheaper than premiere. You can download demo version of Vegas (I guess premiere too!) and test them by yourself. (http://sonicfoundry.com/download/step2.asp?DID=437)

BTW you'd better upgrade winME to XP or Windows 2000. There is a limitation in filesystem with FAT32 and you should use NTFS filesystem. You know 1 hour DV file used to be a 12G file in hard disk. Furthermore XP(2000) has better memory management system which is important to capture DV without drop frame.
DooKee Cho is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant