gs100k (?) acessories and a crazy amalgam cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 13th, 2003, 01:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

gs100k (?) acessories and a crazy amalgam cam

Hello everyone, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the gs100k.
I was a co-owner of an MX3000 before my girlfriend and I split up and she bought me out (since it was her idea to buy it initially). We bought it from Tim through ebay and he was as honest as could be. I wonder what people think is the best way to get this camera in the states. Also, does anyone think I'm making the wrong choice?
I like small cams, color, dynamic range (low to bright light), don't mind the japanese menus, like 3.5" LCDs, and am willing to spend as much or as little as necessary to get the best cam.
That reminds me: a stereotypical Fifth Ave. camera shop was selling a (PAL) Sony PC-120E for either $699 or $499 (depending on which guy you asked). There must be a hundred of these oddly similar looking stores in this city. The few price placards in their front windows all seem to have been written by the same hand, and in them I've always felt treated as not someone to help but to beat. Anyway, at $700-900 off of B&H's list how bad could the catch be? I was thinking of going for it, but have since read much to suggest I stick with my country's format. With the gs100k this is not a dilemma.
So unless some of you think I should get a PDX-10, or pay $900 for an MX-8, or know where to get an MX-3000, or think that I'll regret anything but an HD-10 (I could be convinced its size is not a disadvantage, relative to an MX), or should get the cheap PC-120, or anything, then what accessories should I buy with the gs100k? PriceJapan.com lists the following:
LF43W (lenz filiter kit; in stock): $25, VBD7 (waist battery; in stock): $156, VBD210 (long battery: 3-4 days after order): $126
SPGS100 (underwater housing unit: in stock): $280, LW4307 (wide lenz; in stock): $112
LT4314 (tele lenz; in stock: $112, SJGS100 (rain jacket) : 3-4 days after order): $66.
LDH3 (video light' 3-4 days after order): $56, FLHDJ3 (video flash; 3-4 days after order): $83
I'm no scubadiver, but that housing could make trips to the beach simply blissful.

Thanks for your time. I don't post much but I am a grateful reader.

Finally I have one more crazy idea: how about a 3 large-ccd camera-only (like what’s used for amusement park ride photography and I’ve seen sell on ebay for fractions of their supposed massive worth) hooked up via s-video to either a portable miniDv deck (like panasonic’s) or even to a laptop? These things often have ½” chips…
Paul Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 02:03 AM   #2
Outer Circle

If "Tim...was as honest as could be," why not contact him? Allan is a member here and lives in Japan. He can also get the GS100 for you. Another option is the MX Source (found on the supervideo pages). Then there's pricejapan, like you mentioned.

Why are you looking at PAL cams?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 02:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Frank

Why PAL? For the higher res, better color, easier film transfer. I believe I've read here you own an MX300. Canada's not on PAL, so why'd you go PAL?
Old August 13th, 2003, 02:43 AM   #4
Outer Circle

1/2 of the videos I shoot are in PAL. (I sell videos overseas.) Also, all my family outside of Canada live in PALsville.

For DV to film transfers, sure, go with PAL. But are you only going to shoot for this reason?
Old August 13th, 2003, 03:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

No, I don't think that I will make anything likely to generate enough interest to justify a film transfer for many years, by which time digital projectors will have become much better, cheaper, and more widespread, making a film transfer less necessary. I'm just going to use this camera to help myself enjoy life.
Old August 13th, 2003, 06:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Paul,

Assuming I could still find an MX3000 (I know of at least 1 display unit and they probably have VERY few on stock still, and at least one used item - cheap but lots of scratches), which one will you be more interested, MX3000 or GS100K?

Oh, if you're interested in PAL, why don't you make an offer for Frank's MX300?

Regards
Allan Rejoso
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #7
Major Player

"1/2 of the videos I shoot are in PAL. (I sell videos overseas.) "

You mean stock footage? I'm curious.
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Stock footage? I don't know what you mean. I had 2 MX300s. One I used extensively, then gave it to my wife's sister overseas. The one I have now, I have hardly used. I use 2 AIWA MX100 VCRs for conversions.
Old August 14th, 2003, 04:10 AM   #9
Major Player

Just verified. The Jap MX3000K can still be obtained brand new (from Japan). Unfortunately, price is still expensive.

$1,395 delivered to the US or Canada.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 05:10 PM   #10
Major Player

You said you sell videos overseas.
Old August 14th, 2003, 06:50 PM   #11
Outer Circle

Yes. I used to sell these ones:

http://www.fustyle.com

But now I sell these ones:

http://www.8palm.com

I also receive PAL footage from overseas, so I have to convert it to view it on my 20" Emerson TV with a built-in VCR which I got for free with the furniture my wife bought some time back. :)
Old August 15th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #12
Major Player

Wow, you must be very interested in Chinese stuff (including martial arts).
Old August 15th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Only with some Chinese martial arts. I've been training in Baguazhang for about 35 years---and I still do, even with my bad back and bad knees. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant