what cam should I buy, or should I even bother? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 16th, 2003, 06:17 PM   #1
New Boot

what cam should I buy, or should I even bother?

I'm thinking of heading down to Brazil in a couple of months. I may even decide to stay there because of my roving eye and lust for romance with the friendly beach bunnies, I know it's hot, but that's how I like it. I have most of my gear ready to go, like my bathing suit and sun tan lotion (with vitamin E) and shades, but I'm not sure what else I should bring with me. Do I need a passport? Or can I just mingle in with the rest of the beach bums? I want to be the cream of society. My final and least important question is what cam should I buy? I just want to bring a cheap Panasonic because they are chic and I don't want no wencelchild or strumpet stealing my expensive cam, if you know what I mean. Should I just purchase one down there? Right now I own a pv-dv702 and really like it. It's nice and small and easy to use, and I have mostly used it at my local beach. (I almost got beat up once.) Should I just bring this one? Wish me luck on my great upcoming adventure!
Zach Remore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I see that you got tired working at the post office. I don't blame you. They keep threatening to go on strike. I think you should just take the PV-DV702 with you, but perhaps buy yourself a box of 100 or so miniDV tapes. What are you using? Fuji? You can often find them on sale at London Drugs and Superstore. As for the rest of your gear, I think you have everything you need. Oh, do you have a polarizer for your cam? A nice bag? Head down to Leo's on Granville. Might I suggest the Lowepro Nova 4 for your cam? There should be plenty of room to fit in 50 tapes or so. Ahh, another thing: batteries. If I were you I'd buy a few extra battaries---maybe 3, 2 hour ones. Anyway, I wish you luck! You postal guys are a crazy bunch. :)

PS: yes, get a passport. Once you're down there and learn the language, just tear it up and pretend you are a local---and never look back!. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2003, 07:02 PM   #3
Outer Circle

On second thought, just hang on to the passport. If you run out of money, you can always sell it on the black market. :)

It just hit me. You are going to take stills too, right? I'd buy some extra memory cards then. And don't forget to send me some nice pictures of the beach bunnies---er, I mean, the beach. Thanks.
Old August 16th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks so much Frank for your helpful suggestions! So my short list is:

bathing suit
sun tan lotion
shades
My pv-dv702 cam
lowepro bag
100 tapes
polariser
extra batteries
still cards
passport
myself

Do you think I should get a hat?
Old August 16th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #5
Outer Circle

Sounds good---get the hat; and include a tape cleaner. You also might need a plug adaptor for your battery charger. Check it out.
Old August 17th, 2003, 03:34 AM   #6
Outer Circle

I thought of one more thing you may or may not need: a handy dandy little translation book. Never know. It may just come in handy. Now don't go asking me what language they speak down there, but you can ask me which country is bigger, Brazil or Australia. (I know this one.)
Old August 17th, 2003, 05:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Zach,
They speak Portuguese. But, come to think of it, they may actually speak Brazilian that is based on Portuguese. From what I have head, it is not as easy as Spanish but no matter, if you are from Canada it won't be a problem because Canadians are known to be Party Animals and the girls will love you. The only thing is that you better know how to dance, preferably the Samba.

Happy trails, Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #8
New Boot

Yes they speak Portuguese. I'll be using body language mostly. Actually a fellow postal worker went there about two years ago and I've been hearing his stories ever since. All I want to do when I get there is forget everything and just concentrate on the beach bunnies. Maybe I'll even get lucky and find one for my very own. I hate Richmond, I hate the post office, and I hate the weather here. Come to think of it, I hate the beaches here. But first things first. I have to go prepared. Thanks Frank for the translation book suggestion. To answer your question, Brazil is larger than Australia. I looked it up in my atlas. I didn't think it was. I guess they need a big country to hold all those near naked beach bunnies. Just two more months to go. Then I'll be off to heaven. Bunny heaven.
Old August 17th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #9
Trustee

Since your focus is the bunnies, please don't forget the most important piece of gear. Raincoat. No, I don't mean the kind for your cam...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2003, 01:32 PM   #10
Outer Circle

Zach, instead of writing beach bunnies, how about just writing cheeks or bodies? I'm not sure the female members appreciate this term. For example, instead of beach bunny Heaven, write, cheek Heaven. Hmmm. Maybe this isn't the best example. Have you ever thought of going to Cuba? Perhaps you can "save" someone from their free medical, free dental, free education and from their famous beaches. On second thought, perhaps go with your original plan. Personally, I don't like hitting the beaches---too hot, and too much sand for your cam. I only like the local beaches for the view---I never go in the water, because the the ocean is cold and has a fishy smell to it. I miss the beaches around Winnipeg, though, and I've always found September is the best month: the water's warm (and it's not ocean water), no bugs, and less people---but always plenty of single cheeks to fill a roll of film or 2. I hate the heat and I hate the cold---I also hate high humidity---I hate everything I think, today anyway. Kidding. (Toronto humidity sucks.) Where does this leave me? Vancouver of course. Have you checked out Leo's yet? They should have everything you need.

When I finish my roll of film, I'm going to get several rolls developed. I took numerous beach pics with my Nikon FM2T and 100MM E lens---very sharp / brings out the detail. Perhaps I'll scan a couple and e-mail them to you. Perhaps you'll even change your mind about Vancouver. I have a Lowepro Nova 5. It fits all my camera gear. :)
Old August 17th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #11
Inner Circle

A lot of crime down there.
So you hate Richmond? I may be doing some temp work in Arlington and don't particularily want to live in Virginia. Is the state as bad as I think it is?
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant