Best tape for GS100K - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 19th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Fujis are actually cheaper? :) I wish they were easier to find though. Everywhere I look it's Sony. Yesterday, I'd already given up on finding either Fuji or Panasonic but then I found Panasonic at the Family Mart across the street where I live. :)

Anyway, it looks to me like not switching tapes is more important than the actual model or brand of the tape. I guess I'll just stick with this cheaper Panasonic tape for now.

By the way, Jeff mentioned dropouts in his post. What's a dropout? Does it visually look like a glitch, like a bad frame or something?
Aylwin Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 06:37 PM   #17
Outer Circle

Dropped frames (misses a frame or more), dropped or scrambly audio, blocks/noisy video. All bad!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks Frank, I've read quite a lot on the tape topic after I came to this forum. Before that I didn't care switching tapes but did had some block noise after long use which I thought is due to the LP mode.

Actually I didn't want to recomend TDK - it's just my opinion based on the analog tapes (digital or analog they are magnetic tapes after all).

I'll be checking Fuji too as they did had the best reputation for camcorder tapes (VHS-C). Panasonic has good reputation now for miniDV.

Both TDK and Fuji in Japan seem to have new production line - TDK comes in 3 colors and Fuji is cool white.
Many brands offer also playful transperent case tapes but looking more carefully I found they are of a bit lesse quality even from the standard tapes (specs given by makers).

Aylwin, you buy tapes from Family Mart? They should be quite more expencive there. Which is Nagoya's main electronics shop? For example for Oita it's Besto Denki (nobody in Tokyo probably have heard of that). Go and check in the main city of your prefecture. You could buy also via Internet - 10 Pana cost 3680 JPY without tax & delivery. On hat-in.com if you buy for more than 20000yen you have free shipment. They have large accessory list - go check it out.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 07:55 PM   #19
Major Player

I also read what Jeff mentioned ;)

He also said, He used TDK "SEVERAL" years ago, that means, may be when Mini dv was first introduced, I dont know! And He also asserted, Now TDK may bring better tapes(manufacturers never tell their technology or lubricant;) )

What I understand from Frank's website dvfreak.com, TDK uses similar lubricant like panasonic.

And from my experiences with TDK, I never had any bad experiences with TDK.

I am also just telling my OPINION. like how Jeff expressed his OPINION and experiences.

If any one experienced problems with TDK with current technology, then we have to completely agree!

Since TDK is a full fledged Tape manufacturer like Bogdan said, I have no other reason to shift from what I am using now as long as i had no drop outs in the past.

I did record almost 5 times on the same TDK cassette, Still giving same quality..
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #20
Outer Circle

With my personal cams, I've only had problems with JVC tapes, and they were severe however that was many years ago. Recently, I had a brand new Panasonic dry miniDV head cleaner, and it didn't work---I mean, it would even turn, so the cam would just come up with a tape error message. Nice, huh? I should return it or exchange it for a Fuji "cleaner." :)

Now, in my early days of miniDV, when I worked almost every day shooting, I used all sorts of tape in all sorts of cams. I used what was givin to me to shoot with. The only tapes I recall which never gave us problems were Pana and Fuji. (Yes, we used TDK, Sony, Maxell, Canon, JVC---you name.) Finally the guy I was shooting for got smart and stuck with Pana. However, his 2 Pana cams were garbage, even though one of them cost a bundle (in those days).

Me? Today? I don't like taking chances. Fuji has always come through for me. Some of their pro 35mm SLR/Rangefinder colour film is also top notch---a little expensive though. VCR tapes? Yup. I tried them all. The Sony ones would break all the time. So I use Fuji Pro. Out of about 2000 or more Fuji Pro tapes, I only had 1 break on me. With the Fuji Master, I had only 1 break out of about 300.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 07:15 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Bogdan, thanks for the advice. I know Family Mart's not the best place to buy stuff but I had a brand new dv cam with no tape so I was desperate.

There's Besto Denki but not near where I live. There's also Eiden but they're closed this week.
Aylwin Cal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant