DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   The best little cams in the whole wide world (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/13659-best-little-cams-whole-wide-world.html)

Frank Granovski August 23rd, 2003 04:41 PM

The best little cams in the whole wide world

Actually, I wished I knew the answer to this one. So I'm asking members for their opinions. 1-chip and 3-chip entries are welcome, as long as they are hand-helds. Don't forget to list their strengths (and weaknesses). You may factor in price or anything else of importance to build your argument. Any takers?

PS: not just Panasonics. All terrestrial brands and models---and their year of conception are welcome.

Alex Knappenberger August 23rd, 2003 05:27 PM

My extra low end Panasonic DV52. For under $400, you can't get anything better. Yes, the LCD screen on mine died, and I often call it a peice of crap, but I keep forgetting how much it cost. Other then that I have like $100 of my goal of about $2500-3000, to save up for a new cam. :D

Frank Granovski August 23rd, 2003 05:44 PM

There we go. For Alex, the Panasonic PV-DV52 is the best little cam in the whole wide world...for the money. I can't argue with that. :)

Frank Granovski August 23rd, 2003 06:52 PM

Though these cams are old, 4 to 5 years or so, I thought the Sony TRV20, Canon Optura, Optura PI and JVC GR-DVL9500U were very good for their time, and still good today. I'd love to have an Optura or Optura PI. These 2 Canons are especially well-build and well-designed. Okay, their resolution aren't up with today's standards but nevertheless their video quality and their operation are pleasing. Also, all these cams perform well with "low light." The original Elura is also a nice shooter's tool. One thing that makes these Canons stand out is that they have OIS instead of DIS, along with a nice F1.6 chunk of Canon glass---not to dismiss their progressive scan CCD. The original Optura and JVC also have a large 1/3" CCD. But overall, I think the most unique out this bunch are the Optura and PI---an ergonomic dream. The Optura is shaped like a heavy, solid SLR camera, and I don't know why Canon discarded this design. To most people it just looked like another SLR camera, and I think it would be quite handy for "stealing" video were shooting video isn't allowed. I'm almost certain that the designers of these gems practiced either Taoism or Zoroastrianism. :)

Young Lee August 24th, 2003 12:18 PM

TRV30

Zach Remore August 24th, 2003 06:29 PM

My vote goes to the Panasonic PV-DV702. It's small, solid and easy to hold and operate. I've never used the manual controls but read they are good. I might still get a 3 ccd camera like that PV-DV953. I think this one is the best little cam in the whole wide world, with the PV-DV702 right behind. This is only my opinion, and I only shoot models outdoors at the beach.

Yow Cheong Hoe August 24th, 2003 11:47 PM

For 1CCD, MX8 (not exactly small). Beautiful colours and great low-light performance.

For 3CCD... well, I can't really say, my own purchase was a trade-off between cost and performance.

Frank Granovski August 25th, 2003 12:23 AM

Come on, Yow. We all know that you wanted to say: MX350.

Yow Cheong Hoe August 25th, 2003 05:13 AM

Well, my eyes are on the Sony VX2000, Sony PD150 or the Panasonic DVX100. But unless my boss is sympathetic and gives me a two-fold pay rise, I'm stuck with value-for-money, which is big-poker MX350.

I may consider the MX500 or the GS100 (PAL? waiting...) when the MX350 croaks but probably not the GS70.

Hey Frank, you are holding on to your MX300, right? That's an ice-cream cone on a match-box!

Frank Granovski August 25th, 2003 04:09 PM

Quote:

Hey Frank, you are holding on to your MX300, right? That's an ice-cream cone on a match-box!
Sorry, Yow, that one went over my head---I didn't understand it. Yes, I still have that new MX300A.

Allan Rejoso August 26th, 2003 08:29 PM

There's a new contender (for best 1-CCD) in the block.

Optura Xi: In good light, video quality both in 4:3 and 16:9 ROCKS!!!

Allan Rejoso August 26th, 2003 08:39 PM

To qualify further..

Played with the Optura last weekend and combined with the finding published in the Sept 2003 issue of a Jap video magazine, in good light the Optura Xi is as good if not better than the GS100. Under 16:9 mode, the Optura is better.

In low light, the GS100 beats BOTH Optura Xi and PC300 (less smearing, better color retention)

Frank Granovski August 26th, 2003 09:59 PM

So Canon's back on top with their flagship 1-chip, eh? That's good. The GS100 beats it out in low light? Really?

Young Lee August 26th, 2003 10:05 PM

And now the GS100K is a great low-light performer??

Allan Rejoso August 26th, 2003 10:14 PM

Yeah unbelievable as it may seem, the GS100 is better in low-light than those 2.

It's more of the OpturaXi and PC300 being poor in low-light.. The PC300 in particular...very bad colored smearing and off-color..the OpturaXi has less smearing but very dull color....the GS100 has the least smearing and able to maintain nice colors..