Flare problems on GS100 with filter attached? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 27th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Flare problems on GS100 with filter attached?

I don't know. I'm just asking.

The lens of the GS100 is quite recessed but when a filter is attached the glass is up front with no protection from the sun. The same is true when a wide angle converter is attached. I figure this could case problems when filming outdoors under sunny conditions.

I haven't had a chance to try this out yet though. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are there any lens hood options for the GS100?
Aylwin Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Aylwin, Allan suggested in another thread that you can install your filter (presumably UV or skylight?) over the hood that comes with the GS100k. For adding the wide angle, you have to remove the hood - however, you can still put your filter (again, uv or skylight) between the original lens and the WA. Just make sure your filter is deep enough to hold the WA without damaging either. Hoods are really a problem, and if you find one in Japan that will work with the wide angle, let the rest of us know. I told supervideo he can do us all a service by making sure Panasonic knows this needs to be addressed.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Alwyn,

I'm not familiar with Nagoya, but you should have at least 1 big electronic (camera) shop somewhere in that major city.

Third party rubber hoods are available in big stores in Tokyo in all shapes and sizes and they're very very reasonably priced.

But first things first, please get yourself a JPY1,200 Kenko MC Protector or MC-UV filter and protect you most valued lens immediately. If you're shooting under super bright Japan skies, then use a Kenko Pro ND4 filter. It also costs JPY1,200.

Regards
Allan
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies.

Patricia, my GS100 didn't come with any lens hood. But I have already installed a filter.

Yes, Allan, it's the Kenko MC-UV. Just got it the other day from one big camera shop. :-)

Lately, the weather hasn't been very good so I haven't had a chance yet to shoot outside when it's sunny.

I still have to figure out the lens hood though. I don't remember seeing any lens hoods at the shop that would fit. But then the front part of the GS100 isn't very accommodating. You immediately have the manual focus ring which would make mounting a hood quite difficult. I'll keep looking...

Allan, if you find a suitable one in Tokyo I (and I'm sure a lot of others) would appreciate the heads up. Likewise, if I find one I'll let everyone know.

Cheers,
Aylwin
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:55 AM   #5
Major Player

.....my GS100 didn't come with any lens hood. But I have already installed a filter.

Huh? You must be mistaken Aylwin. The front part of your cam (where the Leica Dicomar is marked) is actually a lens hood screwed onto the lens barrel. It also serves to conceal the diminutive lens of the GS100. Try unscrewing the hood and you'll see quite an eyesore (LOL)...but the cam performs so well for its price...so no problem!

The best thing to do is to bring your cam to the shop and find/try the rubber hood that fits best.
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:55 AM   #6
Major Player

Aylwin, are you sure about the hood? It doesn't look like any other hood I've ever seen, I'll admit. But look at the lens to see if there seems to be an oblong frame around it. If there is, that is the hood. It is actually a separate piece and can be unscrewed and removed. It's not a problem if you're just adding your filter on top of it. But if you want to add the wide angle, you should remove the hood (for one thing, it will interfere with the view you get from the wide angle). This is, by the way, in accordance with the instructions in the manual, so I really would expect your camcorder to have come with the hood, since it is supposed to have been part of the basic package.
Old August 28th, 2003, 02:41 AM   #7
Outer Circle

Those new Pana lenses are small because they're Leica---expensive, (lol). I looked at a GS50 and a TRV22 today. The TRV22 lens is so much bigger, lol, even though these 2 cams are roughly the same size, lol. The Sony has the bigger, 1/4" CCD (verses a 1/6 incher), lol, but it has only 340K video effective pixels. (Lol.) :)

But the TRV22 also has an expensive lens: Zeiss. (Lol.)

:)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 02:49 AM   #8
Outer Circle

For flare-less 540 line performance from your GS100, please remove z Pana lens hood. Screw on z adaptor. Don't put a filter on it, but instead, get yourself a honkin' big after market anti-flare hood, and screw 'er on. :)
Old August 28th, 2003, 03:13 AM   #9
Major Player

So, Frank, does this mean you've moved into the ranks of those advocating no filter use?
Old August 28th, 2003, 03:34 AM   #10
Outer Circle

No. I always keep a filter on on all my camcorders and all my SLR lenses. But sometimes filters can cause flaring, ghosting and vignetting. But a honkin' big lens hood should take care of the sun, plus add some protection to the lens and/or adaptor.
Old August 28th, 2003, 03:47 AM   #11
Major Player

Well, I had no filter and the hood that comes with the camera was on (of course, it's not honkin' big) when I got veiled flaring, so...
Old August 28th, 2003, 04:30 AM   #12
Outer Circle

Another anti-flare technique is to screw on a filter, lens hood or no lens hood, and make sure z sun is behind you. :)
Old August 28th, 2003, 06:14 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Yes, I am mistaken! I didn't realise that that part could be unscrewed. I thought it was just a natural part of the camera casing. There's more to this cam than meets the eye.

Allan, you're right though. It's not the prettiest sight. :)

I guess when I think of "lens hood" I automatically think of a big black rubber/plastic cup. :)

This is really good info for me. At least now I have some idea of what type of lens hood I need. Without the included lens hood coming off I'd have no idea how a 3rd party one could be attached. :)

Okay, off the local camera store this weekend...
Old August 31st, 2003, 06:28 AM   #14
Major Player

Aylwin,

Metal lens hood 43mm (Black or Silver): HANSA brand JPY1,400

Rubber lens hood 43mm : MINETTE brand JPY400

Source: Bic Camera Tokyo
Old August 31st, 2003, 04:17 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info!

Only JPY400 for a lens hood? Amazing! There doesn't seem to be as many choices here in Nagoya.

Anyway, I'll try to have a look the next time I'm in Tokyo. And I should also buy you a beer. :)
Aylwin Cal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant