DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   IEEE1394 PCI card for GS100K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/13850-ieee1394-pci-card-gs100k.html)

Alex Zabrovsky August 28th, 2003 10:48 AM

IEEE1394 PCI card for GS100K

I'm approaching the deal for GS100K, but have yet purchased FireWire PCI board for
digital video interface (and my m.board doesn't have one built-in).
The question is what would be the recommended firewire PCI board to provide trouble-free 1394 performance once hooked to GS100K ?

Regards, Alex

Aylwin Cal August 28th, 2003 10:57 PM

I'll go out on a limb here and say that the firewire board doesn't really matter. Although, you probably wouldn't want to get the cheapest generic brand model.

I think a lot depends more on your system (processor, m-board, RAM, hard disk, software, etc.). So far, I've tried 3 different firewire options (PCMCIA, PCI and on-board). The cheapy PCMCIA one I tried on 2 different computers. All worked okay but it also depended on system performance. On one PC, I couldn't do anything else while capturing or else I'd get dropped frames. On another PC, I couldn't play music at the same time.

I've since upgraded my own home PC and now have a pretty mean machine. No more problems. :)

Alex Zabrovsky August 29th, 2003 01:14 PM

Thanks. My system is as follows:
AMD Athlon 2200 XP, 512 MB DDR RAM, 2x60GB, Matrox 550G,
Plextor CD-R/W, Pioneer DVD-ROM, Gigabyte 7VRXP MB (3 or 4 PCI free slots)

Does that matter ?

Alex

Shawn Thomas August 29th, 2003 08:23 PM

alex
judging from the edit fourums they are recomending that the card have a texas instruments chipset i have recently purchased against that rec and the chipset that is on the board is VIA
i have used this card with vegas and have had no trouble with it
dropping frames or anything else however i cant say that i recomend any card as i have only used this particular brand with this chipset

the numerous available cards can be had from 10 to 50 bucks off auction sites
open pci slots is a good thing you will need one of them for the card
it can be pushed right in with little effort or experience and most software will auto plug and play

Alex Zabrovsky August 30th, 2003 04:22 AM

Thanks, I'll bear that in my mind once shopping for the board.

Alex

Aylwin Cal August 30th, 2003 05:01 AM

Alex,

Your system looks pretty good. I don't think you'll have any problems. You should even be able to multi-task a bit. Just avoid activities that require a lot of hard disk access. Of course, it's always safest to leave your PC alone while capturing (or rendering).

Alex Zabrovsky August 30th, 2003 05:34 AM

Thanks a lot, I'm totally novice into video editing/processing on PC, mostly did still image processing in Photoshop.

Will have to learn quite a lot.

Alex