Microphone - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 6th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #16
Major Player

Great Allan!
Well the advantages of the big city I guess.
How much was that VMS2?
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:11 PM   #17
Major Player

4500 + 400 (delivery fee) + 400 (cash handling fee) = JPY5,300 :-)).
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:15 PM   #18
New Boot

I'm disappointed in frequency response of most of the on camera mics which seems to be 100hz or higher. For reference, the recommended THX crossover for subwoofers is 80hz, and good subwoofers can ouput bass into the mid teens. Low bass from musical instruments usually only goes down to 40, or maybe 30 hz (except for organs which can go very low), but you are really going to miss a lot with a microphone that can only record 100 hz and higher.

I really don't want to spend the money, but most microphones I have seen that go down to 20-40 hz are much more expensive than the Panasonic mics and may require an XLR adapter too.
John Uchida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 07:55 AM   #19
Major Player

John, frquency specs doesn't tell everything!
That's why we try to share user opinions here and find the best that works for certain price for a certain person.

In adition a mic having 'cut' out the low frequency range is not a bad thing for live recording. You are more likely to pick up many bad hum and other unpleasent ambient noises if your mic goes so low.

Also real production sound has very little to do with the one we try to achieve (or to improve) with handycams and consumer cheap mics.
The subwoffer low frequency effects usally are exactly this - effects added in the post, not recorded live sounds.

I like actually GS100 function that you can add some warmth to the sound of the onboard mic enabling the Bass gain - I use +3dB. +6dB is over the top.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 11:44 PM   #20
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Bogdan Vaglarov : John, frquency specs doesn't tell everything!
That's why we try to share user opinions here and find the best that works for certain price for a certain person.-->>>

Some specs tell more than other specs. If I'm interested in recording sounds in the 40-60hz range, I can safely eliminate any mic that has a lower range of 100 or 150hz because you flat out won't get anything useful in your recording. Now if I have a mic with a lower range of 30hz, there's no guarantee that the quality of those frequencies will be any good, but you at least have a chance to get something. You may end up having to spend more money to get a more capable mic.

<<<-- In adition a mic having 'cut' out the low frequency range is not a bad thing for live recording. You are more likely to pick up many bad hum and other unpleasent ambient noises if your mic goes so low.-->>>

That's why they have programs like Sound Forge and Adobe Audition, so the user can make the decisions on what to include or filter. If you have a mic that isn't even capable of recording the desired frequency, you have no chance to get a good mix.

<<<-- Also real production sound has very little to do with the one we try to achieve (or to improve) with handycams and consumer cheap mics. -->>>

You could say the same thing about "real production video". Why spend $1200 on a GS-400 when you could get a $300-$400 consumer type camcorder? Answering my own question, to get better video! To get better sound, you need something better than "consumer cheap mics".

<<<-- The subwoffer low frequency effects usally are exactly this - effects added in the post, not recorded live sounds.-->>>

This is not true at all. The ".1" LFE channel channels all frequencies below a specified frequency to the subwoofer(s) no matter what the source. If you are playing back music, you would have basically nothing coming out of the subwoofer if your mic had a lower range of 100 hz. Many instruments go well below 100hz, bass, bass guitar, kettle drums, tubas that you will miss with a 100hz mic.

-->>>I like actually GS100 function that you can add some warmth to the sound of the onboard mic enabling the Bass gain - I use +3dB. +6dB is over the top. -->>>

Well, there is bass, and there is BASS! You are better off doing something with Sound Forge or Audition compared to using an on camera boost.
John Uchida is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant