DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   My first movie and captured still with GS100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/14117-my-first-movie-captured-still-gs100.html)

DooKee Cho September 4th, 2003 04:41 PM

My first movie and captured still with GS100

Hi,

This is my first movie (in my life) with GS100.

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/movie/rain256k.wmv

And this is a captured still from this movie( from original DV AVI capture file)

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/gallery/rain12.jpg

I used the procinema mode(16:9 + frame mode + gamma ?) and Vegas 4.0d for editing. Movie was encoded with WMV Codec V9 using 256K bitrate in Vegas.

I hope you guys enjoy.

DK

Amit Sawarkar September 4th, 2003 05:28 PM

excellent!..nice movie. very clear, and you do have a good subject :)

good footage.
I shot some video too, but am yet to compose it into a movie.
Tell me, what editing/ encoding tools did you use, and on what machine config. I have to go in for one soon.

cheers!
- Amit

ps: I saw the move again from a viewers analytical point of view - as a critique here are some comments/ suggestions to make your next movie better: (pardon the unasked for advice..:)

1. The movie's got a slight whiteish tint, how can it be done away with? (not necessary though, because it gives an effect that some may like)
2. Audience may be held better 'captivated' with a bit of slow zoom in/ zoom out, or a slight pan of the surrounding view, while not completely moving away from the subject. There is background rain noise, and with a slow pan of the camera, you could have also captured the falling drizzle a bit to build up the ambience.
3. The music changes abruptly as the squirrel comes out - maybe a slight sound fade or a blending which will not suddenly appear jarring. (but overall, its a great idea to change music as the squirrel comes out - I wouldnt have thought of it)

cheers again, and happy movie making.. U should enter it in some contests..

Frank Granovski September 4th, 2003 05:53 PM

My, my. What a delightful picture; and the look on its little face---priceless!

DooKee Cho September 4th, 2003 05:54 PM

Thank you Amit !

I used Vegas 4.0 from SonicFoundry. It's very excellent and efficient editing & capture tool. I highly recommend it than adobe premiere.
You can use a trial version from its web page.
Although the whiteish tint is from the default 256k preset for wmv file in Vegas.
If I made it with mpeg2 in Vegas, I didn't see that whiteish tint. I need to find what's going on with wmv preset.

Thank you for your suggestion. I need to learn the technique better. Although I took a shot inside living room through the patio window so that I didn't have much choice for that shot.

Next time I will consider your suggestion.

Thanks,
DK

Donald Craig Forbes September 4th, 2003 11:13 PM

Cool!

I took a few minutes of video on the way home from work a day or two after I got the camera...

There was a rabbit eating leaves on the edge of the parking lot behind where I work (about 11:30 PM...).

Niteshot mode worked prety well but the video is very orange/brown because of the orangy arclights used at the lot and that I had everything in auto-mode except focus...

I didn't know how to use white ballance or the DB gain settings on the camera yet.

I'll see what I can put together from the shots I got that night and post it.

Donald Craig Forbes September 5th, 2003 01:45 AM

Done!

OK,

I put together a little (40 seconds) nightshot video of the rabbit...

It's about 1.7 Mb in the files section of the Yahoo nvgs100k group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NVGS100K/files/rabbit.wmv

Alex Zabrovsky September 5th, 2003 06:21 AM

For DK: I tried to get to your movie page but got a page full of ASKII symbolics instead of the AVI file.
Should I install certain software in order to see your film ?

regards, Alex

DooKee Cho September 5th, 2003 06:28 AM

Hi Alex,

You need Window Media Player 9 for windows.
I encoded it using wmv 9 codec.
If you are using IE, it will be O.K. but other than IE, save it first and open with Window Media Player.

Cheers,
DK

DooKee Cho September 5th, 2003 06:34 AM

Hi Craig,

It's very nice shot with night mode in GS100. The level 2 was 0 lux night mode ?

Cheers,
DK

Alex Zabrovsky September 5th, 2003 06:53 AM

Thanks.
I use Mozilla (Netscape based browser) instead of IE. Will tryt osave the file prior to palying back as you suggested.

Regards, Alex

Alex Zabrovsky September 5th, 2003 07:02 AM

Downloaded and played back - the WMP downloads the necessary codec automatically, but then reports about Error Downloading Codec.

Same effect once opening in IE.

Any ideas ?

Alex

DooKee Cho September 5th, 2003 07:54 AM

Hi Alex,

Sorry for WMP.
You may need to install WMP9 from MS site.
(I assume you are not using WMP9).
There is a wmv9 codec for WMP8 in MS site too. You may try it first. With WMP7 you may not play.

Cheers,
DK

Alex Zabrovsky September 5th, 2003 11:56 AM

Well, installed WMP9 - excellent video, enjoyed, thanks :-).
I guess full-size uncompressed would look gorgeous...

I'm glad I made up my mind for this cam, hopefull will get it in a week or so..

regards, Alex

DooKee Cho September 5th, 2003 01:27 PM

Hi Alex,

Yes. Uncompressed one is much better even mpeg-2 format file looks great.
I'm glad helping you to make a decision.

Cheers,
DK

Samuel Raj September 5th, 2003 01:44 PM

You also have a look at some of 1/2 exposure of night shot of NY and Panorama pic composed by 7 individually taken pictures of Shaver lake,CA. in the Yahoo groups Nvgs100k pictures section

Panorama picture u have to look in IE or MIcrosoft Imaging software to better reduce the resolution to 75 or 50% to view fully.