Additional non-panasonic mic for gs100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 6th, 2003, 10:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Additional non-panasonic mic for gs100?

Had anyone put an microphone on their gs100? Azden? Sony? Any brand? Hate the look of that panny mic...

Will have 16x9 30fps footage up on web in a few days for yall.

Michael
Michael Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2003, 11:13 PM   #2
Outer Circle

As long as a cam has a mic socket, you could use almost any mic (via an adaptor). Are you asking which mics are good? How much do you want to spend? Do you want the mic attached to the cam? Or on your tripod or stand, etc (?)

Beale's Corner has a bunch of mic tests. His website can be found on my links page:

http://www.dvfreak.com/links.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 02:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Frank

I want to use a mic on the hotshoe...is it standardized? to accept other mics? Or will it only accept Panny mics?

thanks
Old September 7th, 2003, 02:20 AM   #4
Outer Circle

That I don't know.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Only Pany's new hotshoe mic is compatible with the GS100 hot shoe. If you want to attach other maker's mic on the shoe, it has to be self-powered.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

And that is a cool little mike. I cannot vouch for the audio characteristics, but the whole package is very managable.
Peter Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Thank you Allan!
Old September 7th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Actually the new mic seems to be the same class as the old Pany VMS1 in terms of frequency response; same price as well, but "physical look" isn't as pleasing as the VMS1 IMO.

By the way, the VMS1 will also work with the GS100, powered through the cam as well. Not sure though if power is supplied through the hot shoe or through mic socket.

Regards
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #9
Major Player

The hot plug on the MX5000 is the old type so it provides only power to the mic (VMS1). I don't know if the power contacts are same for the new hot plug on GS100.
The audio sgnal is via stero mini chinch - you can use it to connect to the GS100 plug too. As GS100 have plug in power mic in may be you don't even need power for any mic but you might experience hum and lower audio quality.

The problem is the zoom capability - for MX5000 it's provided via separate cable to the cam's mini system plug. On GS100 such thing doesn't exists so I don't think you can use VMS1 as zoom mic with GS100.

The new VH3 mic is dedicated to GS70/100 new hot plug and draws everything from there (power, audio and zoom synch).

Canon have similar only hot shoe (no cables) zoom mic for their cameras which is even a bit more expensive than Pana's.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Bogdan I think you're right. Thanks for the input. One thing for sure, the cheaper Pany VMS2 will work fine because it is self-powered.

Yeah the Canon DM-50 hot shoe mic works great with my Optura100...pretty expensive though.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant