DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   953 ok for films? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/14298-953-ok-films.html)

Adam VanScoyoc September 9th, 2003 10:59 AM

953 ok for films?

Hi,
I was intending to buy a GL2 next spring, but to save money I have decided to rethink that decision and do a little more research. I have my heart set on a 3-ccd camera. I was amazed at how inexpensive the Pana 953 is. I could save around $800 from the gl2. There are a couple things I am concerned about. I have read that the 953 has an outstanding picture, but it is poor in low light. My question is, if I'm using it to make short films, I will be lighting the scenes anyway, so does it really matter? I could see if I wanted to film the kids birthday party or do some kinky things in the privacy of my bedroom, but even if I film outside at night, I will have 500 watt halogen lights illuminating the scenes.

I really wanted to try the frame mode on the gl2, but I keep reading about progressive mode on the panasonic. Is this the same thing, or does that just have something to do with the still images? I am confused by that.

I am not a professional, just a guy who likes to make goofy shorts, so I cant see spending the money for an xl1s or something comparable.

What do you guys/gals think about the 953 for me?

Frank Granovski September 9th, 2003 01:00 PM

The PV-DV953 has higher resolution than the GL2 but less zoom and it requires more light (than the GL2). Both cams are great cams in my book. If you're going to light low light scenes, then by all means go with the PV-DV953. The 953 has better 16:9. (It also has frame mode.) The 953 doesn't have manual low shutter settings, however. Personally, I'd go with the 953---but if I needed a cam to shoot weddings and funerals, I'd go with the GL2.

Adam VanScoyoc September 9th, 2003 01:25 PM

wow, thanks for the quick reply!
Sounds like alot of bang for the buck.
when you say it has frame mode, is that the same as frame mode in gl2? if so, I think my mind is made up!

Frank Granovski September 9th, 2003 01:33 PM

Yes, they both have the same type of frame mode mode---Panasonic invented frame mode, by the way. Both cams also have great color saturation, it's just that the 953 has about 40 more horizontal playback lines (razor sharp). So that should answer your question. I really love the GL2, but when I got to try a 953, it blew me away.

Peter Jefferson September 10th, 2003 04:41 AM

in good light the 953/mx500 is VERY comparable to the Higher end 3chippers. Resolution is incredible however im a little intrigued as to Frank's comments (sorry dude, i love ya but i dont get ya on this)

"The 953 doesn't have manual low shutter settings, "

the lowest ive had it going was 1/50 (frame and interlaced modes) and 1/25 Card still mode which is pretty much standard for most cameras i think???

Adam VanScoyoc September 10th, 2003 10:16 AM

can anyone direct me to any videos on the 'net that were shot with the pv-dv953? Especially any short films. I know that due to compression it won't be a true representation of video quality, but I am still interested.

Thanks

Frank Granovski September 10th, 2003 05:07 PM

Peter, I'm talking about the manual shutter settings below 1/60th (or 1/50th for PAL).

Example: 1/30th, 1/15th. In video mode of course.