Display on regular 4x3 TV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 9th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Display on regular 4x3 TV?

Hello,
I'm almost ready to order just few questions

If you shoot in native 16x9 and hook up to TV (4x3) how does it look?

If you edit in 16x9 and export to tape and give to customer with 4x3 TV what happens?

Any problems with capturing with Adobe Premiere?

Last question for weddings shooters
How is the performance in the field -low light - reception?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Cecotka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

forgot to mention I'm talking about GS 100- black beauty
Old September 9th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Caution new user

I am a very new user to the GS100 but I will tell you what I do know.

In Cinnema mode the widescreen view looks like it would if you brought home a wide screen DVD and played it on your 4x3 TV ( Black band across the top and bottom. In Pro Cinema mode The picture looks stretched out. ( Unless you have a widescreen mode on your TV, then it looks great) I got mine from Allen Rejoso and have been very pleased with it. The GS 100 is a wonderful camera!

As for the other questions, I will let someone who has more experience than myself answer them.
Paul Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Is there a switch in the menu to 4x3 or this option dosen't exist?
What is experience with pros giving tape to the customer who has regular TV and has to watch 2 black borders.

By the way Paul there are 2 kinds of borders one is short maybe 1.5 inch on both sides and deep 2-3 inches.
Which one you have?

Thanks
Mike
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Cam's default setting is 4:3. You activate widescreen (Wide Interlaced or Procinema Modes) by pressing a button. Cinema Mode is set thorugh the Menu.

Unless your customer who uses a 4:3 is OK with a video that is squeezed from both sides (stretched vertically that is), I don't think you should shoot in any of the 2 wide modes above.

Under Cinema mode, you're essentially chopping the image from the top and bottom (width of the black band is fixed).
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The band is 1.5 " on mine.
Paul Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:04 PM   #7
Outer Circle

The size of the black bands is dependent on the size of the TV screen.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #8
Major Player

You mean proportional right Frank? As viewed on the LCD, it is fixed.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:59 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Correct.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 04:25 AM   #10
Inner Circle

the black bands are a mask which only imitate a banded widescreen 1:85:1 conversion

Your 4:3 footage ISNT changed, only masked. Widescreen will change teh field of view though.

IMO, i would not shoot in this format as frame masking can be done in post.

This way you are given more head and bottom room for track manipulation.
On top of that any effects used (particualrly lighting) wont bleed thru onto the blask bands.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 08:57 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks all for your help in making a decision 99% for go.
Old September 11th, 2003, 10:01 PM   #12
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Allan Rejoso : Cam's default setting is 4:3. You activate widescreen (Wide Interlaced or Procinema Modes) by pressing a button. Cinema Mode is set thorugh the Menu.

Unless your customer who uses a 4:3 is OK with a video that is squeezed from both sides (stretched vertically that is), I don't think you should shoot in any of the 2 wide modes above. -->>

--------------

I shoot anamorphic video... not with this camera but rather a native 16:9 2/3" 3 CCD pro camera. I have been looking at the GS100K for a small enterprise I run on the side, specifically because of these modes. Eventually we will all own widesreen "TVs" and these displays can streach this anamorphic video out so it will fill the 16:9 screen.

In the mean time, if you produce your video straight to DVD you can mark the material as anamorphic or 16:9 while authoring. The DVD player will do a squash and impose a letterbox to the video on the fly during playback for today's standard 4:3 TVs. The long and tall anamorphic image is still actually the source Mpeg 2 video stream and can be accessed in this form from the DVD player if you have a widescreen display which as I said before can or should be able to streach the video horizonally.

Broadcasters can also televise this material as 16:9 by using an upconvertor that will streach and line double this material. That is broadcasting an anamorphic SDTV output by upconverting it to an HD format.

Shooting in these anamorhic modes make perfect sense in these situations:

1) If you are distributing on DVD.
2) If you want the production to display correctly on WS sets; in a way it sort of future proofs you... that is until HD (native 16:9) becomes practical/affordable for today's DV crowd... maybe 5 - 10 years down the road.

Hopes this helps clarify what anamorphic video is all about and how it used.

Dave
Dave Kidd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant