DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   What's Holding Up Your GS100K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/14342-whats-holding-up-your-gs100k.html)

Patricia Kim September 9th, 2003 11:58 PM

What's Holding Up Your GS100K

Now that there seem to be quite a few 100K owners, I feel I can ask this question. What is everyone doing about camera stabilization. I'm asking here rather than in the tripod/monopod/shoulderpod/bodypod forum because most of the q's and a's there seem more directed at prosumer camcorders. To tell the truth, I'm also not that interested in tripods or monopods, because I'm interested in mobility in small spaces or in crowds. The single appropriate item that has the strongest endorsement is the Steadicam JR, but it's too wind sensitive and I'm too much uf a klutz. So I'm looking at things like the Flowpod, Clip and Go, Hollywood Lite Ultra Lite and VS1, etc. - the smaller and lighter the better, as I'm not very big myself. That being said, I'd still like to hear what owners of small camcorders like the 100K are using for stability and why. Any thoughts?

Frank Granovski September 10th, 2003 12:07 AM

The best way in crowds, is to hold it right: the cam slipped in your right, the left braces the right arm, both arms resting against your lower chest/stomach---breathe gently and stand still, with the knees slightly bent---perhaps with 1 foot forward.

If you're sitting, place the elbows on the table, or on your thighs/knees with the legs bent.

Or lying down, the arms are braced with the ground, or tree, oe whatever.

Being braced is the key, along with breathing gently.

Eng Yew Lee September 10th, 2003 12:24 AM

I mostly do it freestyle. One handed. For a more steady shot, I hold the end of the LCD panel with my left hand.

Depending on the POV you want, I find holding it high above your head in crowds is good. For a kid POV, I cradle it in my left hand (I am left handed) and use the record button in front on the lens.

I get the breathing movement in my shots if I do it the way Frank suggests unless I hold my breathe - then I can only shoot for 40 seconds before the shakes happen :)

For a rock steady shot, I have a little Giotto e.Pod http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/.../HAMPG/REG/391 I can put on top of a table or something, but it can't pan.

I don't have a fluid head tripod. And I don't use a floating stablizer. I am interested in finding something small and non-geeky that I can use to achieve smooth moving/walking shots. Would like a recommendation on that.

Peter Warren September 10th, 2003 06:05 PM

I thought that the OIS was supposed to take care of shake??? In my initial experiments, I find that one needs additonal stabilization. It would seem that a tripod is the way to fly...or a monopod... I have a shoulder mounted rig that looks like a crossbow. I have not tried it yet...

Patricia Kim February 21st, 2004 01:00 AM

I'm reviving this long dormant thread because, thanks to mention of it by members in the camera support forum, I just purchased and received from EVS (a dvinfo sponsor, I think) a dvcaddie jr. I think it's going to work pretty well for me. It doesn't "float," but I don't normally walk and shoot. What I really wanted was something more convenient than a tripod that would allow me to make the best use of the 100k in somewhat fluid conditions using "smoothing" mode (which requires manual focus). I didn't want something that would mean additional weight hanging off my neck (thus giving true meaning to the term millstone) or sitting on my shoulder - or that would have to be braced against my abdomen and require me to hold by breath for an hour while shooting. The guitar strap principle means I can essentially brace the weight of the cam against my hip. Much better for one's lungs.

I'll find out about inconveniences this weekend. I already know the first one is that I'm going to have to learn to depend on the lcd rather than the viewfinder. But that's a small price to pay if I can have a hand free to manipulate buttons and the focus ring. Thought some other users of the 100k might want to take a second look at this item.

Tavis Shaver February 23rd, 2004 02:31 PM

the larger vversion looked pretty cool too, with the "float" feature. Do you think that the full sized one would be too much for such a small cam?

Guy Bruner February 23rd, 2004 04:28 PM

I've got a Glidecam 4000Pro coming for my DV953. I'll let ya'll know what I find.