DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Fresh owner of new "black beauty" needs help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/14677-fresh-owner-new-black-beauty-needs-help.html)

Alex Zabrovsky September 18th, 2003 05:53 AM

Fresh owner of new "black beauty" needs help

Hi.
Just got my new GS100 (black) purchased from Allan. Posted into GS100 owners community thread already.

There is a software CD coming with the cam, however I realize I shouldn't install Japanese UI, but rather the driver only.
Can somebody enlighten me what exactly to install for USB card reading/writing support as well firewire (if required, have not yet acquired firewire board neither cable - will do soon).

I have Win XP Pro.

Also, a quick question (haven't yet read through the translated material that came with the cam and also downloaded one - will learn in near future):
retracted the viewfinder, but couldn't figure how to push it back to storage position. How to do that ?

Alex

Paul Jason September 18th, 2003 06:49 AM

software driver

This is how I got my usb to work with the camera.
After you have the computer booted up, put the CD in the drive. (Holding shift should keep it from auto-runing) plug in the usb cord to the computer and to the camera. (Have your camera in the card mode.) This is done by pulling down on the on/off switch two more times after turning the camera on. The yellow/orange LED will light up. XP says new device found and will ask if you want it to search for new drivers. It should give you an option on where to search for this driver, type in your cd/dvd drive letter with a backslash like D:\ hit next, next, next, and you should have it. Hope this helped.

Just a note, different modes of the camera cause the computer to ask for different drivers but they all install the same way.

The view finder should push forward and down. Its'a a little firm but don't force it!

Alex Zabrovsky September 18th, 2003 08:09 AM

Thanks Paul.
I've tried pushing the finder back lightly, but is seems I have to raise it in parallel to the body, since once retracted it sets down.
Not sure made myself clear though... :-(

Alex

Paul Jason September 18th, 2003 10:42 AM

view finder

I'm not 100% sure what you are saying. Looking at the camera from the back you should be able to pull the view finder to you a little over an inch. From there, it should be able to pivot almost 80 degrees up. (maybe a bit less) While it's up you should be able to push it forward and back to your liking. You will feel a click when it is to the stop point of the position. The only one that does not have a click point is when you pull it up away from the camera.

Alex Zabrovsky September 19th, 2003 04:24 AM

Thanks, just managed to install USB driver and retrieve the first image I shot on card.
Thanks for the help.

Now, proceeding further, next step would be connecting the cam to TV through A/V to check playback and preview on TV.
953 manual I downloaded requires wtiching off both cam and TV set prior to connecting. Sounds strange. Do I really must to switch off the power of both devices prior to connecting A/V cables ?

Is there a menu in GS100 disabling/enabling A/V output for tape playback and simple preview (with no tape loaded, just picture coming as seen on LCD ?)

Alex

Amit Sawarkar September 19th, 2003 01:26 PM

It worked fine with me without switching off, but as a 'best practices' it would be better to have at least the cam switched off before plugging in any cables.

Also, I didnt have to change any presets.