DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   MX-350 Remote (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/14899-mx-350-remote.html)

Tim Hammond September 23rd, 2003 08:10 PM

MX-350 Remote

Hi Guys,

I just bought an MX-350, and can't get the remote control to work! I've put a couple of brand new batteries in it, and still no go. I've got the right battery, but can't find any reference in the manual relating to problems with the remote. Do you need to "Activate" the remote within the menus?

The remote's never been used - not a mark on it - so I don't think it's been dropped or anything.....

Thanks for your help.

Tim.

Frank Granovski September 24th, 2003 06:55 PM

Try pointing the remote to the front of the MX350; make sure your fingers aren't covering anything up. If that doesn't work, something is either broken in the remote or in the cam, or the batteries are dead.

Yow Cheong Hoe September 24th, 2003 08:04 PM

Although I have never tried this, please check on the VCR1 and VCR2 functions on the camera. This allows two remotes to be used on two cameras without confusion. In your case, it may be confused already!

On page 8 of the British operation manual:

Using the Remote Controller

Direct the Remote Controller to the Remote Control Sensor of the Movie Camera and press an appropriate button.
¡ÝDistance from the Movie Camera: Within approximately 5 metres
¡ÝAngle: Within approximately 8o up, and 15o down, left and light from the central axis.
¡ÝThe above operating ranges are for indoor use. Outdoors or under strong light, the Movie Camera may not operate properly even within the above ranges.
¡ÝWithin a 1-metre range, you can also use the Remote Controller on the side (the [MENU] Button side) of the Movie Camera.

Selecting Remote Controller Modes

When 2 Movie Cameras are used simultaneously, they can be operated individually by selecting different Remote Controller Modes.
¡ÝIf the Remote Controller Mode of the Movie Camera and that of the Remote Controller do not match, [REMOTE] Indication is displayed.

Setup on the Movie Camera:
Set [REMOTE] on the [OTHER FUNCTIONS] Sub-Menu to the desired
Remote Controller Mode.

Setup on the Remote Controller:
[VCR1]:Press the [forward still advance] Button and [stop] Button simultaneously.
[VCR2]:Press the [reverse still advance] Button and [stop] Button simultaneously.

¡ÝWhen the battery in the Remote Controller is replaced, the mode is automatically reset to [VCR1] Mode.

Yow Cheong Hoe September 24th, 2003 08:05 PM

BTW, how much did you pay for the MX350?

Tim Hammond September 25th, 2003 05:42 PM

Thanks Guys.

Yow, I remember reading about the VCR1 and VCR2 in the manual! That sounds like the most likely resolution. I'll try it tonight.

I paid $1700 (Aussie Dollars) for it. I don't know if that was too much - but there wasn't much else available - The cheapest 3CCD cameras on EBAY were going for more than that - even ones without DV IN/OUT.

It's only 11 months old and is in REALLY GOOD condition.

Have you had any problems with your MX350???? What should I watch out for???

Thanks.

Tim.

Frank Granovski September 25th, 2003 07:39 PM

Quote:

I paid $1700 (Aussie Dollars) for it.
Man..., that's a steal. That's, what, less than $1500 Canadian? A very lucky snag indeed.

Yow Cheong Hoe September 25th, 2003 11:47 PM

I paid SGD2500 for my MX350 about a year ago, just after end-of-line. The retailers price was SGD3800 at that time.

The MX350 can get heated after 2+ hours of shooting, so you should consider some rest time, but I have shot for 5 hours straight with no problems.

I have just had my LCD hinge changed, probably due to extreme wear and tear (I am a very intensive user of my camera, having run about 100+ hours of tape in less than half a year).

Lastly, to prevent tape jams and missed timecode, always allow the ssllooww (read: very slow) tape wind up wind down time. This means that you'll have to let the mechanincal sounds complete its course before recording and stopping. Sometimes a pain, but ensures that timecode is not loss, and minimal tape damage.

Lastly, remember to tape an extra 10secs before shutting down the camera. A tape reload or a battery change will cause a rewind of about 4 to 8 seconds, and this will override the last protion of the previous capture.

All the best.