converting sound files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 25th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #1
New Boot

converting sound files

I have just acquired and started using my Pany NV-GS100K (more "first impressions" in another thread, if anyone's interested). I'm working on an iMac, using OS X (10.2.6), and wondering how to convert the sound files that I've saved on the SD card to some standard format such as AIFF or MP3. What I have is a bunch of taped interviews that I recorded onto the SD card, which I want to convert to MP3.

I'm currently working with the Panasonic CD, under VirtualPC, but it looks as though I'll have to muck around in Windows a bunch to get it to handle the Japanese language files ok. Until I get that done, I'm wondering if anyone out there using a Mac has found a utility that will convert the Panasonic audio files into something usable.
John McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #2
New Boot

As I understand from the manual, you can't get the sound file directly from SD card to computer. You can play only with the camcoder. You can capture it from "audio out" in camcoder to "line in" in your computer.
DooKee Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #3
New Boot

Here is the authoritative answer to this question, which is as DooKee Choo already suggested: I registered my NV-GS100-K with Panasonic and sent an inquiry to their support people. Their response was polite but conclusive: The videocamera uses a unique format, for which no software is available for reproducing it on a computer or for converting it into another format.

Incidentally, the Panasonic web site points out that, even though the same .VM1 filename extension is used, audio files from their videocameras are *not* compatible with those from their voice recorders. Bizarre, but true.

Sounds like a good task for someone with programming skills... Anyone out there want to create a shareware program for us? Ah, well, I'll just feed stuff into "Audio Recorder," which is a Mac freeware program for recording directly from a microphone to MP3 format.
John McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #4

I have found that this one has many off extras...

http://www.dekorte.com/Software/OSX/SoundConverter/
Old October 12th, 2003, 08:59 PM   #5
New Boot

SoundConverter looks like an interesting program. However, the Panasonic format (filename extension .VM1) is not listed among the input formats.

Have you actually tried this for Panasonic videocamera (not voice recorder) files?
John McRae is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant