Belated thanks to Yowch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old October 6th, 2003, 08:40 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Belated thanks to Yowch

Thanks to the efforts of our esteemed colleage Yowch, I am now the proud owner of an MX500, along with extra batteries and tapes and filters, all for well under $1500.00 US.

If any of you want to go this route (getting a PAL camera) I can vouch for Yowchs' integrity and dedication without reservation.

Sorry to take awhile in recognizing him, I had some serious personal issues that distracted me.
BTW, Yowch, thank you and your church for all the prayers, it seems to be working. My niece got taken off the respirator yesterday!!!!!

Now, I need to find a US to Europe plug adaptor so I can recharge the batteries :).

And finally, since I've been up here in Arlington/DC for about a month I hope to get some PAL based footage of the various Capitol buildings (Washington monument, Congress, Smithsonian...) if anyone in PAL land is interested.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 03:03 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Where did Yowch get the MX500 for you?

Is the PAL version more expensive than the USA PV-DV953 price ($1499)?

Sorry to hear about your "issues."
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 07:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Good to hear that Sarah is getting better, praise the Lord.

Getting an adaptor for the US power points should not be a problem, or, you can just go and get a similar wire. The socket on the barger is pretty standard.

The MX500 was bought in Singapore, now short of stock in the 'cheap' shops. The dealer brought in 16 sets when I asked for one set for Joe, and in 10 days, all 16 were sold.

Another DVinfo member, Anand, came to Singapore last weekend, and I had to disappoint him that the best price is no longer SGD2,080 (with tax) but SGD2,200 (with tax, of which he recovers about SGD60 when he leaves Singapore).

The recommended retail price in Singapore is SGD2,400.

I saw the MX8 and MX350 still up in some shops, the MX8 was priced at SGD2,000 and the MX350 at SGD2,800.

US$1.00 = SGD1.75 according to most international banks. But going through Paypal, the conversion was 1.71 only, and another 3% fee to Paypal. I could have gotten Joe more stuff if not for this!

All the best in your shooting, Joe!
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think in the future it might be cheaper to do a bank transfer. Last time I checked, my bank charged 40.00 US no matter what the amount.

I'll check about a replacement wire.

Frank, the PAL version ended up being slightly less the the DV953, but it would have been even cheaper if we hadn't used Paypal.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 09:08 PM   #5
Wrangler

DV953 is now hovering just above the $1000 USD mark at decent sites like Buydig.com
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:35 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Thanks, Tommy. So this means that here in Vancouver, this cam costs almost twice as much as buydig's price. What a rip-off!
Old October 14th, 2003, 10:38 PM   #7
Tourist

Hi Guys,

I too apologise for taking so long to Thank YowCH for helping me get this cam for a good price. And of Course, I was busy occupied with the cam. Even though new models have comeby, for people in PALand like me, MX-500 still holds good.

Thank you very much YowCH for everything from getting the camera, to the DIM-SUM dinner, to providing me a chance to meet your wonderful family, Grace and the little naughty angel Esther.... Thanks very much. For any one planning to get a PAL version of the panny camera's and have a chance to go to singapore, its is the place and YowCH is the man.

I really appreciate his selfless attitude in helping me get the cam as well as, helping a novice user like me. I have started using the basic functions of the cam, but havent delved into the intricacies yet, for which DVinfo is my mecca...

See you soon in India, YowCH, and that will be my turn to show my hospitality...

Anand
Anand Thiyag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Yow Cheong,
Where in Singapore are you? Are you based in some shop in Singapore, what is your contact details in singapore. In fact When I visit India, I have to go through singapore, so that I can see you there!

Thanks,
Sam.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 02:11 AM   #9
Outer Circle

Just click on his e-mail button and send him an e-mail. I don't think that he works for any cam shop, though. He's just a nice guy who will get you a good price for a PAL cam if asked.
Old October 15th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks frank, I know his email address.

Thought he can get me his phone number or address to contact.
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 10:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Nice guy? I talk too much!

Drop me a mail anytime, I'll get back to you, but I check my yahoo mail once a week (swamp with junk in there).

The MX500 is out of stock here, at least at the cheap shops that I frequent. The RRP is currently SGD2,400, maybe with 3 free tapes.

I work as an engineer, I do bridges, sometimes buildings. Video is my hobby and a little sideline income to buy toys for my daughter. (OK, I was lying, toys for myself!) And Singapore is too small to actually describe where I am.

Call me YowCH, thanks to the rules here, my name is getting really weird. My family name is Yow, I am Cheong Hoe.
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant