DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   DVX100 and GS100 working together? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/15835-dvx100-gs100-working-together.html)

Paul Jason October 16th, 2003 11:06 AM

DVX100 and GS100 working together?

Will footage shot on these two cameras be able to be used together without a huge difference in quality. I understand that there are different modes one can use on the DVX100 that the GS100 can't do. What modes could one use that would be able to get the two to look similar?. Thanks.

Peter Jefferson October 16th, 2003 12:03 PM

one thing i do, is run both cams in frame mode.

I use a 953/mx500 alongside a DVX and the trick to it is the detail level as well as frame mode on teh MX and Progressive on the DVX

Im in Pal Land so resolution line steps and colour difference can be noticable especially in darker footage.

First off, I turn down the detail level, to chop out the Jaggy edges DV is so famous for. This also gives a softer look, but if ur planning on taking stills frm tape during capture, this is ONLY good for images about the size of a standard photo, nothing bigger...
I also have the DVX matrix set to either cine or high. Master pedestal is dropepd down to -2.
the MX colour range is also dropped so you dont get those harsh colour peaks.

Its a tricky thign to do as both cameras are VERY different. so most of the time we're switching settings on the fly

Paul Jason October 16th, 2003 01:49 PM

Thanks Peter for the reply. What detail and color settings do you use on the MX? I am sure you change them from place to place. I'm just looking for what would be a good starting point.

Peter Jefferson October 17th, 2003 08:21 AM

i did a wedding recently (fast and cheap so no DVX used with it) so i set the detail level to -4 from centre. this gave that nice smooth broadcast look with out the jagegd pixelated edges (im PAL so resolution "steps" are a little higher and alot more noticable) Colour was dropped down 2 notches from centre...

with the DVX, I actually take BOTH cams to the loaction about a week before, as sometimes the lighting does effect the way the image is portrayed on screen... so i need to know what settings each cam need to be on to save on Post Production colour correction.

Most of the time, both cams are on a low detial setting, with low colour saturation. DVX Cinegamma is used, but MX usually runs BW and Slow Mo shots...

theres jsut so much within the DVX, its pretty hard to explain it all here.

Experimentation is the best way to find out thou.

Mike Cecotka October 26th, 2003 09:11 PM

Hi Peter,
Can you check if wired remote control from small Pana cams works with DVX.

I want to build zoom control for GS 100 but have to be sure.

Thanks
Mike S. Cecotka