GS100K in English on Supervideo.com? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 17th, 2003, 12:53 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
The supervideo.com says the 100k has zebra stripes for exposure control, color bars for calibration (SMPTE??), skin tone adjustment, internal neutral density filter, audio adjustment for mic input, manual white balance
No INTERNAL ND filter on either GS100 or MX5000 - chuck, chuck, chuck.....

Neither are professional camcorders but both can be used for various applications. Color doesn't matter a bit... - cams are absolutely THE SAME!

This has been posted many times in different bits but I'll try to sum up the most important differences:
[list=1][*]Just to mention beforehand that reading the Japanese catalogue (before to buy my GS100) I was shocked that GS100 doesn't have the skin mode in the menu as well as the data setting (shutter speed etc.) With Allan's help I figured it out that skin tone is rather on separate button and the data is recorded by default - you can recal it on playback if you want.[*]Now everything as funcionality is simillar - Pro Functions - Color Bars, Sharpness and Saturation adjustment, mic level and audio meter indication, Zebra patern to help you adjust manually exposure, Manual Focus, Manual White balance.[*]Minor changes - repositioned buttons for Mega OIS, Back light correction and Fade. On GS added buttons for flash activation, wide mode and new function Pro Cinema with cine like gamma. Also new Tele Macro. SD card behind the buttons on GS100.[*]Flatter, sleeker design - shorter, lighter using new smaller batteries GS100. (750 vs. 950 with batt. & tape)[*]Other improvements- slightly better lense (more multycoated surfaces), better noise procesing engine giving real results, nicer grip, better resolution wide mode, slighly better stills.[*]What is worse in my opinion - remote and mic jack now are shared on GS100. While MX5000 mic jack is unpowered it's separate form the wired remote jack. MX5000 (don't know about 953) has mini system plug you can use with sold in Japan Panasonic tripod with remote in the pan handle. MX5000 also have hot shoe vs. cold shoe on 953 as reported (am I wrong?) 953 can't be operated by the MX5000 all weather pack.[/list=1]To end up - I wouldn't go for 953 if I could get GS100 - TV system is same only menus are Jp. You can buy all the accessories offered by Chucky in USA and use the custumer support (for Beachtek, filters, etc.) From Japan you need only GS100 and eventually the all weather pack. The zoom mic doesn't seem to be very successful. Even batteries are cheaper from Hongkong.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 01:11 AM   #17
Tourist

THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO !!!!!
THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO !!!!!

Tommy, as to the skin tone, I'm a pasty white cracker, ha-ha.

As for the CHUCKMEISTER site, it is interesting, but the "Pana rep" explaination about High Def with a knitting machine made me realize to take it with grains of salt, around the rim of a margarita... http://www.supervideo.com/MX7000Q&A.htm
Brian Morlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 02:00 AM   #18
Major Player

I've actually witnessed 2 Jap customers (one male, one female) complaining that new cams are showing their skin pores too much. The seller gladly explained Skin Tone feature and taught them how to reduce sharpness as well.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 02:20 AM   #19
Major Player

To supplement Bogdan's post, here are some rather trivial differences:[list=1][*]the GS100K has a better LCD...actually too good looking that some owners are complaining that video as seen on TV is 3db darker.[*]tape loading mechanism of the GS100 is smoother, quieter and faster.[*]Bass enhancer[*]Better (useful) Smooth Colored Night Mode of the GS100[*]NO Bluetooth capability for the GS100 - that probably reduced the cost by $20.[*]Widescreen modes are very convenient to activate or deactivate.[*]PANY SAID, the GS100 lens hood is more effective (whatever that means!)...well, there is a difference of material (finish) around the opening.[*]Robin Liss complained about the position of some terminals at the grip area of the MX5K. Pany listened and changed their positions. but I feel the new locations are still kinda tight.[*]GS100K's wired remote has a small mic.[*]Continuous photoshot to card.[*]Quick start (1.7 secs). Some owners seem to like this..but better have a huge battery.[*]Self-timer[*]More slow shutter options under card mode.[*]and my most favorite of all, one touch magic strap (LOL).[/list=1]I still don't like the surface finish at the back of the GS100K LCD..it should be improved to be more resistant to scatches.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 06:16 AM   #20
Regular Crew

So the professional black GS100 Panasonic is better than the PV-DV953? Does it cost more? I hope I have made the correct decision with buying the PV-DV953 from B+H. I should recieve it sometime today or tomorrow. I'm nervous now.
Fred Garhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #21
Major Player

I own the silver NON professional model !!!

Fred, if you read up you'll understand that GS100 is refined in every aspect but it's not that far from what you chose. Don't get down - probably it'll fit you well. Especially it will be easier for you using English menus!
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #22
Trustee

If you just have to have the 'pro' black cam with Japanese menus, on your way home from the camera shop stop by a book shop and get yourself a book for learning Japanese katakana. This is the Japanese characters that are used for non-Japaese words like menu, zoom, mode, etc. Armed with this and some common camera knowledge you shouldn't have too much difficulty working out the menus on this camera.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #23
Major Player

You should realize that the silver model is known as "The Silver Shadow" (so named by yours truly). If anyone asks and you tell them that it is called that because it is the Rolls Royce of camcorders, I doubt you will get any comments about it not "looking" pro, more likely to be asked about its features.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 08:06 PM   #24
New Boot

I have been reading the manual for the 953 all day and I really think I like it on paper!

3CCD, top loading, best low light I can hope for (I can live with 1 100W or 2 60W bulbs properly placed), mic and headphones at same time. Is there something missing from the 953 that I don't know I need?

All I have left to do is hold one and see if it's comfortable. I just don't see how I can do better, especially now that it's around $1K all over the place?

It was the same way with my digicam. I spent forever choosing the Canon G3 and I love it until the next thing comes along. Now the new Sony 8MP is out and the Canon Digital Rebel is here. So I'll upgrade eventually but meanwhile I've been out taking great pix with my G3 and I bet it'll be the same for the 953.

Thank's for all your help!

Now where to buy it, what external mike, batteries, wide angle lens, case, tapes, Bogen tripod head.......??? :-)

-Stewart
Stewart Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #25
Outer Circle

Stewart, see this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=17208

B&H carries the PV-DV953

For extras not available in the USA, contact Allan.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #26
Wrangler

Stewart, the Canon G3 is a great digital cam. My mom has the G2 and loves it. The swiveling LCD is something I missed after moving from the G2 and Sony F717 to the Canon 10D. Well that and live preview on the LCD. :)

I was going to get the new Sony 8MP since I'm a big fan of the swivel body design but I believe they have made a mistake by keeping the same CCD and loading it with more pixels. I originally bought the Digital Rebel (300D) last month but immediately upgraded to the Canon 10D.

Let us know how the DV953 treats you and make we can compare it directly to my upcoming GS100k purchase.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #27
New Boot

Tommy, I got the G3 as an upgrade to a Nikon 990 just as the G5 was coming out. I don't like the noise patterns of the 5MP CCD's so I'm not sorry I got the G3 and 420EX flash which I love.

Digital Rebel and 10D are enticing! Smooth 6MP CMOS with high ISO. Lens costs are tough though. I'm just waiting out the reviews of the Sony F828. I know what you mean about the 8MP CCD being small. If the noise is acceptable (big if) it'll be a killer cam with 28-210mm Zeiss T* lens, manual focus, dual media and swivel body! I'm hooked on swivel now.

I'd consider getting the 953 at B&H like Frank suggested but they only offer the MACK warranty. If I have to mail the cam to MACK for repair I might as well get the GS100k and mail it to Japan for repair (well sorta)! Maybe I worry about the warranty too much but when Panasonic only gives you 1 year parts except CCD which is 6 months and 90 days labor it does not instill a sense of "being taken care of" if something happens, even in the first year. Of course, my uncle bought a 5yr GE warranty for his Sony Hi8 and when the tape drive failed, it took him 6 months and multiple mailings to unskilled, "licensed" repair centers to get anything fixed and they made him pay for some of it under "wear and tear" clause. You just can't win sometimes. Anybody care to comment on repair or warranty issues?

A 953/GS100K direct comparason would be great!

You know, all I want to do is get on with the interviews (OMG! I have to ask people questions?) and try to make something watchable for my father! In my mind I see Ken burns but I hope reality will even rate with something on public access.

-Stewart
Old November 19th, 2003, 05:13 PM   #28
Outer Circle

Allan already did an extensive comparison of the PV-DV953/MX5000 and GS100, along with the Sony PC300 and Canon Optura Xi. However, I would welcome Tommy's thoughts between the PV-DV953 and GS100 if he's game.

Panasonic USA doesn't offer extended warranties? Pana Australia does, as far as I know; and Canon and Sony do (here). I haven't heard anything bad about MAC Warranties, though.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #29
New Boot

A comparason I was thinking of might be shooting in a room with various light levels so we could see how a 60W bulb looks, etc. Just a thought. I don't know what Tommy had in mind?

I just called Panasonic (800) 637-2007 and found out they do offer extended warranties! Service is mail-in though with a 10 to 12 day turn-around, sigh. Doesn't anyone do local factory repair anymore? I imagine even if I got it at CC or BB that they would just ship it out to be repaired too.

The extended warranty for the 953 from Panasonic was quoted as:

All parts and labor, unlimited cleanings, 1 preventative maintenence per year costs $174.95 for 2 years, and $249.95 for 3 years. They reimburse you the UPS shipping costs. They also said they offer unlimited extensions so you are always covered. They also offer the plans in 4 month installments with no finance or interest charges.

The Panasonic plans sure do cost more than the Mack (2yr $69.95 & 4yr $99.95 or Repair Master ($109.88 2yr and $149.88 4yr) warranties from B&H and J&R respectively, but you are getting "factory" service for what its worth. B&H is a great place to shop. I never have to worry with them and they have great prices too. Tough decision.

-Stewart
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:03 PM   #30
New Boot

The low-light abilities of the 953 aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting. All the low-light posts had almost scared me away from the cam, but I'm so glad I got it. Shooting under normal household lighting has been fine for me, especially once you learn the manual controls. Sure beats the crap out of my Canon ZR60 in low-light (though that's not saying much)! Unless you are shooting caves or candlelight cermonies, I wouldn't worry about it.

And I'm not sure why all the stress over the color? The Panasonic silver is not a "cheesy" looking silver. I've already recieved a few comments on how slick it looks. Everyone can tell by looking at it that it's not your normal "garden-variety" camera for shooting home videos. Besides, it produces SUPERB footage, and isn't that what matters ultimately?

Just random thoughts from a happy 953 owner.
Brian Sumpter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant