It is as easy as 123! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 26th, 2003, 05:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

It is as easy as 123!

To become a film maker all you need is a good professional camcorder and study the manual. If you study more manuals you will become even better film maker. I purchased dv for dummies manual and it has lots of good information about becoming a better film maker. I stand beside myself and want to share this with all of you nice peeople. Have a great day!
Fred Garhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Refer to this thread

Fred, I am a strong believer in practical experience. Manuals don't necessarily relate to real production situations where experience from other shoots gets the job done and sometimes saves the day. I don't doubt that manuals show functionality of cameras, lighting, and sometimes technique but that alone is not going to do it.

Please refer to this thread for the backstory

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=17308
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you James. I will read that link after I read some more in my professional Panasonic silver PV-DV953 camcorder manual and Digital Video for Dummies camcorder manual. I buy three more today. They are wonderful looking professional camcorder manuals these ones:

50 Fast Digital Video Techniques by Bonnie Blake and Doug Sahlin

Digital Video Pocket Guide by Derrick Story

Real World Digital Video by Pete Sharner and Gerald Everett Johns
Fred Garhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 03:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Re: It is as easy as 123!

<<<-- Originally posted by Fred Garhart : To become a film maker all you need is a good professional camcorder and study the manual. If you study more manuals you will become even better film maker. I purchased dv for dummies manual and it has lots of good information about becoming a better film maker. I stand beside myself and want to share this with all of you nice peeople. Have a great day! -->>>

Good luck my brother, you will need it, In the meantime please do post a feature film for your bretheren viewing
Old November 27th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

i have to agree with with james on this one, no matter how much you may know about a camera inside and out, ther eis no way in knowing exactly how a shoot will go until you get there and point the camera at your subject...

i recently did a mini movie for a wedding which started out as a tacky i dream of jeannie clone, but th elocations were just perfect to make it something a little more.

That and the initial music selection was quite tragic,
(this was deliberate tackiness mind you, they wanted it trashy for a laugh)

but after we got to the locations (which i had NOT seen prior to filming) we threw out the storyboard, and went live.

I ended up hanging out of the window of a GT at 80km on a highway with a dvx in one hand holding the cam about 10cm off the ground and a mounted MX500 inside.. now i never considered doing this until i saw the locaiton...

thats just one aspect of one scene...

the point here is that you dont know.

Regardless of how fast i can reconfigure my camera for ANY shoot, my style will need to adapt to accomodate the scene. If i can draw a scene in my mind, the easier it would be however i am primarily an event videographer, which means i DONT have the means to pick and choose how a scene plays out, more likely, i must determine HOW these spur of the moment scenes are presented in the final presentation...

theres alot more to film making and videogrpahy in general than operating a camera.

thats just my 2cents
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 02:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Effort

Fred, I'm just giving you a hard time. I really do admire your effort and understand your excitment of having a new piece of gear. That effort will get you somewhere, keep it up!
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #7
Outer Circle

When I first began shooting miniDV, I just stood there stupid, pressing and re-pressing the start/stop button, and zooming and panning from time to time. As time went on, and conditions changed, I had to figure out the manual settings, and on several different cams! :-(

Though cheap, I always used a plastic tripod. Ugh.

When I got my 1st miniDV cam, I studied the manual and started with auto. Yes, I was an auto man for the first month until I experimented and read the manual some more. :-)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Forgot to add, the 1st miniDV cam I ever used was a "professional," non-Leica Panasonic 3 chip hand-held, which came with a docking station---which I had to use for audio dubbing---and although it was a hand-held, I always used a tripod, and a chair to sit me down. Thanks for the LCD monitor which I could tilt up and down.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant