question for gs100 owners outside Japan at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 27th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

question for gs100 owners outside Japan

I`m currently visitng Japan & going home stateside soon. I am wondering what are the cons of getting the GS100 (other than warranty)?

I`m thinking that getting the picture into US WinXPP is not a problem through the firewire, right?

For still shots I`m also assuming a SD card reader will do.

I understand Japanese so the menu & use of the camcorder shouldn`t be a problem.

Am I loosing anything by not being able to use the software that comes with the camcorder?

Thanks,
Robert
Robert Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 06:31 AM   #2
Outer Circle

There are no cons besides having to send it back if you need waranty work if you understand Japanese as you mentioned. You are not missing anything with the software, if you have other NLE software etc. On the upside, you get a fantastic little 3-chip at a good price. (Get the black one; it'll probably hold its value better if you ever decide to sell it.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Frank! At around 101,000 yen, about $935, I think it`s a great buy (Internet price from kakaku.com site).

Well, the only brush I had with editing was when I used to edit my Hi8 footage using Pinnacle`s consumer editing software like Studio200 & Studio400.

I`m assuming that consumer level editing software is also sufficient?

Thanks,
Robert
Old November 27th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Yes. As long as you have firewire installed on your PC.
Old February 26th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

When I was in Japan I couldn't get hold of a black GS100k afterall at that price. All the shops on the Kakaku had silvers. So I left Japan empty handed.

Since my return stateside, I asked my family in Japan to keep looking out for the black GS100k to surface at close to the silver GS100k's price but no luck.

I finally gave up & decided to get it through pricejapan tonight ... now the waiting begins.

I need to search for the important GS100k threads ;-)

Robert
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Hope everything works out with getting the cam. :-))
Old February 27th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, I'm psyched. Hope they don't tax me @ port of entry sicne it's for personal use :-)

I've searched a lot last night & I think I'll stick to Fuji miniDV tapes per your numerous posts. I remember Fuji MP was what I stuck with when doing Hi8 so I expecting similar. Sounds like they also have only one type in USDM so makes ordering simpler.

Robert
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Many of us have had a great experience with Price Japan. I am confident that you will too...

Peter Warren
Peter Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Where is Price Japan located? Japan, or somewhere else? I mean, it's just a portal type store front, in which dealers join for a fee as an avenue to market their goods, right? Who owns Price Japan? Just curious.
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

They're located near Akihabara --- Geek Heaven. I always visit Akihabara when I go home to Japan. From their About Us section: "PriceJapan is business company ("YugenGaisha; PriceJapan" in Japanese words), composed of 4 staffs. We are located in Tokyo, Japan (near Akihabara, the largest electronics town in world)."

I don't think retailers join to sell their item but it's more like Pricejapan call themselves 'shopping agents' ... as soon as we place an order they try to get it from their cheapest supplier.

FWIW, Kakaku.com is like the Japanese version of pricescan.com - that might be a portal where retailers join to post prices.

Back to Pricejapan .... I really was impressed with their service --- definitely a service oriented outfit.

Robert
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Frank, there appear to be a number of sites like pricejapan - some run by non-Japanese - where they make available through the internet some of the latest products on the Japanese market that are not usually available outside of Japan. Dynamism.com is one for laptops, handhelds and similar gadgets. Audiocubes.com is another - for headphones and portable audio equipment. I've shopped at Audio Cubes and pricejapan. Both are very good at responding to inquiries, ensuring that you can track your order, etc. But pricejapan's service in terms of quick delivery can only be compared to B&H - and that's saying a lot.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #12
Outer Circle

Thanks!
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

So I Paypal'd Pricejapan on Thursday night.

The camera was in my local DHL hub on Monday morning but the DHL shipping form didn't have the street address on it for some reason & it sat at the hub yesterday. Since I was tracking via web, I called the street address in & they delivered it in one piece this morning.

Haven't had a chance to play other than fire it up throug hthe AC to make sure I don't have any dead pixels <g>. I guess the camera has to wait until the weekend due to business.

Can't actually believe that it came so fast.

Robert
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:16 PM   #14
Outer Circle

Glad to hear it arrived so fast!

Did you get an extra battery with extra juice for it? :-))
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #15
Regular Crew

No, I'll probably get the large cap waist battery later on.

I just ordered 10 Fuji cassettes & a Panny cleaning cassette. I couldn't find Fuji cleaning @ B&H so I assumed that Panny's cleaning cassette will do since the wrapper seem to say it's 'dry' type.

I'll need to read up more about the wide angle lens (Rayonex) since I want a want a wide angle lens. Oh, yeah, I'll get some filters too.

I started reading the manual in the hopes of trying to understand the different modes: progressive, cinema, pro-cinema, etc ... more than anything I got further confused. I need to re-read the pages <g>.

Robert
Robert Sato is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant