Advice needed on a MX500 / PV-DV953 Purchase - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 03:42 AM   #16
Outer Circle

$1099 - that's cheap!

(In Canadian that would be around $1380! The going price in Canada is $2450, a difference of over $1000.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:18 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Now is the time to buy it Frank !!

By the way, onecall.com, will match any price from a legitimate Pana dealer.

I tried to get onecall.com to match a price from Abe's of Maine or Beach Camera but they said those businesses are "slime bucket shops" and won't match the price (at Abes it was about $1020 including shipping - but who knows if and when you would ever receive the 953 from those guys !!).

So I bought it 15 hours ago from onecall.com (out of Spokane, Washington) and it has already shipped out and will arrive in Ohio on Friday, December 5. Also I have a 30 day defective return policy with onecall.com.

Now, I am looking into wide angle adaptors.

I am looking at the Raynoxs HD 6600 PRO and HD 5000 PRO.

Do you have any first hand expierence regarding these ? Do you think I would see any problems when using the enclosed adaptor ring to fit the HD 5000 onto a 43mm DV953 ?

Thanks.

Adam
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:31 AM   #18
Outer Circle

January might be even a better time to buy. :-)

Onecall does not ship to Canada. Personally, I'd go with B&H---not only because they are a great dealer, but because they are one of our sponsors.

I have never seen these 2 Raynox models, but I've read from members that they are very good. Tom Hardwick tested the HD5000, as I recall. There are some threads on this forum about wides for MX cams.

(Yes, you got a great deal. I'm happy for you.)
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:40 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Tom has given me some good advice on the Wide Angle adaptors via email.

On my other camera, I was using a Tiffen .7x (or .75x ?) and it was really good, however that one is heavy and not going to be wide enough for me anymore.

I agree , B & H is very good, a "flower" among the "crap" that comes out of NYC (especially BROKLYN !!).
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:50 AM   #20
Outer Circle

The Tiffen 43mm's are good, but Tiffen's 37mm's are better---not suited for 43mm threads, though. I would go with what Tom and Allan suggest. Okay, I'm out of here. Tomorrow's another day (hopefully.)
Old December 3rd, 2003, 12:42 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey Adam, the raynox 5000 is a beauty, comes with the adapter ring u need.
Emmet Lucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 03:08 AM   #22
New Boot

I second Emmet's post. I ordered the HD 5000 Pro with the DV-953 and it is awesome. Outstanding resolution edge to edge, a bare minimum of distortion, fully zoom-through and negligible light loss. Also no vignetting, even with a standard B+W 62 mm UV filter. However, go with a Tiffen 43 to 37 step down adapter, metal vs. the plastic Raynox and with a slimmer profile.
Robert Mealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 04:30 AM   #23
Outer Circle

Robert wrote:
Quote:
...However, go with a Tiffen 43 to 37 step down adapter, metal vs. the plastic Raynox and with a slimmer profile.
Huh? Why would you get a 37mm threaded Tiffen wide? The Tiffen 37mm is better than the Tiffen 43mm, but I don't think it's a good idea to use the 37mm on the 43mm threaded Pana. By the way, plastic construction does not effect lens quality.
Old December 4th, 2003, 06:20 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Robert and Emmet,

Thanks for the advice.

I am trying to decide whether to buy the RAYNOX HD 5000 or HD 6600.

The advantage of the 6600 is the 43mm thread matches the DV953 thread. But if you guys say that the adapter ring causes no problems, then I should go with the HD 5000.

Regarding the UV filter, you used a regular thread UV filter ? You did not need a slim-line UV filter ?

I don't exactly understand your comment " However, go with a Tiffen 43 to 37 step down adapter, metal vs. the plastic Raynox and with a slimmer profile".

Do you recomend buying a Tiffen 43 to 37 adaptor because it is better than the adaptor RAYNOX provides with the HD 5000 ?

So you find that the HD 5000 stays in foucus through all 10x of the the DV953 zoom ? That is really good. The more I think about it, the better the HD 5000 sounds.

Thanks.
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:04 AM   #25
New Boot

Adam and Frank,

When I spoke of the Tiffen adapter, I was referring to the adapter mounted between the 43 mm Pana lens and the 37 mm Raynox lens (you got this point Adam). IMO, a metal adapter ring is preferable to a plastic one, especially when it provides a slimmer profile. I have no issues with the quality of the Raynox lens, which I find to be excellent (okay, coating could be better, but you can't have everything for $140). Given that, as I mentioned, there is absolutely no vignetting, even with the standard UV filter, the fact that the Raynox has a 37 mm lens mount is of no concern. I had my fingers crossed when ordering the standard filter, given the extra expense of the B+W slim-line, but, again, it works perfectly.
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:21 AM   #26
New Boot

Adam,

FYI, I purcahsed my DV-953 from B&H last week. I have dealt with B&H on several occasions and have always found their service and support to be top notch. If you have not dealt with them in the past you can rest assured they are a completely trustworthy and reliable source.

N.B. They dropped the price the day I received mine and with one call they immediately credited my card the $95 difference.
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:29 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I understand, Robert.

By the way, did you buy any type of lens hood for the HD 5000 ?

If I put a Multi-Coated UV filter on the HD 5000, do you think a lens hood would be necessary to cut down on flare ?

Thanks for the info.
Old December 5th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #28
New Boot

Adam,

A lens hood will probably be my next purchase. The B+W UV filter on my cam is the MRC model, but I still caught some glare when shooting under a bright sun on Wednesday. The glare was minor and my own fault in positioning myself in the shot.
Old December 7th, 2003, 10:59 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Robert,

If you happen to find a good Lens Hood that works well with the HD 5000, let me know. Thanks.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant