Panasonic camcorder cleaning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 6th, 2003, 03:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic camcorder cleaning

How do you wash your digital camcorder? I use a light water bottle spray, the kind you use for moistening plants. This does not take the hand grease off and I was thinking about using Windex, spraying it on the casing lightly.
Richard Longman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 04:39 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I wouldn't spray the cam. Use a cleaning cloth and gently wipe the housing so that any lodged dirt won't scratch the cam.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #3
Trustee

Spray Windex on a wash clothe, and then wipe the cam
with the wash clothe.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #4
Outer Circle

I wonder if a little Windex can be harmful to the cam's plastic. Just a thought.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #5
Wrangler

I always Endust for Electronics spray which does wonders for LCD screens (no streaking) and puts a deep shine to the plastic. I also use Kensington lint-free wipes to apply the Endust.

Keep that Windex away from my coated lenses! :)

Off topic but don't ever clean a Sony Trinitron computer monitor with something as abrasive as Windex. I've seen way too many monitors destroyed by having their coatings completely taken off.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 07:10 AM   #6
Major Player

I believe that Windex has ammonia in it, and most other cleaners have equally strong or stronger chemicals in them. I have not looked at my instruction manual in a while but I believe it said something about wipe with a "damp cloth" (that would just be water).

To remove oil from fingers/hands and light soil from daily use off of my camcorder body, I periodically use a very mild soapy solution on a "damp" cloth being certain not to get water/moisture into the camcorder. I then wipe off the camcorder body with a "damp" cloth that only has plain water to get rid of any residue. That seems to work O.K. and has not harmed the body nor washed away any of the labels printed on the body.

Hope this helps, Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 09:24 AM   #7
Major Player

To have a 'professional' look, grease, dirt and oil on the cam is a must. Professionals are too busy doing the right stuff (like shooting videos) and no time for side stuff (like cleaning the cam body). :) :) :)

Lens and deck should be clean all the time, of course! For issues on cleaning the lens, please refer to any decent photography or lens site. For teh deck, run the head-cleaner tape sometimes, and blow the mechanisms with a blower (or spray compressed air).
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #8
Trustee

Tommy,
I always use Windex on my Trinitron. What would you advise instead? Is there a coating on the monitor surface?
I thought it was just glass.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #9
Wrangler

Dave,

Its not all Trinitron monitors that have the special silica based anti-relfective coating. I've seen the coating on most all of the Dell/Sony Trinitron CRT computer monitors since 1999. I have never seen this on a TV or other flat computer monitors. Sony claims it reduces eye fatigue and keeps your monitor looking new. I see it as a nuisance because anything other than Endust for Electronics or plain old water will damage this fragile coating and permanently scar the monitor.

The company KlearScreen even has a huge notice to Dell and Sony Trinitron owners on the front page of their website.

http://www.klearscreen.com/
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 02:15 PM   #10
Trustee

I have a 2001 Dell Trinitron CRT! Wonder if I've already damaged it. Would the Endust be good for it? Does it have the same effect as Windex? Where is it sold?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant