DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   I have some pro-'sumer PV-DV953 questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/18081-i-have-some-pro-sumer-pv-dv953-questions.html)

Richard Longman December 8th, 2003 02:35 AM

I have some pro-'sumer PV-DV953 questions

1. Is the pro-'sumer PV-DV953's Leica lens made from glass or plastic? I read plastic was replacing glass in cameras.
2. I have a Tiffen UV filter. Should I buy a Leica UV filter?
3. I read here that the pro-'sumer PV-DV953 is a good digital video camcorder. Will there be a better model replacing it?
4. How long will the PV-DV953 last me? Will it become outdated in the near future? When is that?
5. Did I make the correct decision purchasing the pro-'sumer PV-DV953?
6. How important is a wide angle lens?
7. Will there be better, longer running batteries available any time soon for this model?

Thank you and good night.

Chris Hurd December 8th, 2003 03:02 AM

1. Pretty much all camcorder lenses are glass. The "plastic" thing is simply an unfounded myth.

2. No. The Tiffen will work fine as long as it is the proper diameter for mounting on the Leica lens.

3. All manufacturers *always* have new products in development. If you wait for the next model, why not wait for the one after that as well. If you're waiting, you're not creating. Therefore, *now* is always the best time to buy.

4. Depends on how well you take care of it. Federal law mandates that the manufacturer must provide service and support for seven years past the date of discontinuance. These days DV camcorders are revved frequently. A replacement may be only a few months or even weeks away. So what, though. When a new one comes out, the old ones continue to work. Concentrate on what you have in your hands, don't fret about "the next new thing" because that's an endless cycle.

5. Only you will know for sure. However it is an excellent, inexpensive 3CCD camcorder.

Someone else can take a shot at 6 & 7 -- hope this helps,

Dennis Sladek December 8th, 2003 03:50 AM

I've owned the DV953 since April and I'm very pleased with it. You'll want a descent quality (vs. junky) wide angle adapter if you want to capture large groups of people closely or for stuff like video tours of the inside of homes.

Why not just get an extra battery if you're concerned of running out of power? Batteries are cheap enough, 3rd. party.

Extra battery @ B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=227282&is=REG

Extra battery @ walmart.com
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A81460%3A82070

URL to Panasonic battery
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...l%20Camcorders

Frank Granovski December 8th, 2003 04:18 AM

Leica filters don't fit. The angles of the threads are made for Leica cameras only. The Tiffen is fine, as Chris wrote.
Quote:

6. How important is a wide angle lens?
If you didn't worry about a wide angle adaptor before, you probably don't need one now. Adaptors steal resolution and light. Why bother for simple shooting with a consumer cam? A tripod and extra batteries are much more useful.

Brian Sumpter December 8th, 2003 08:29 AM

I haven't had my 953 for long, but I'll take a shot at some of these.

1) Glass, as mentioned above.
2) Tiffen works great on mine, also mentioned above.
3) See above. :)
4) See above. :)
5) I definately like mine, and don't regret the purchase in the least.
6) I haven't used one, but I can see a need for it. When shooting in a cramped environment, I frequently wish I had one.
7) I've found batteries online that are 3000+ mAh. I don't have a URL handy, but they are out there. The stock 1600 mAh lasts a lot longer than I expected as well, so a few of these would probably last you the better part of a day.

Enjoy your cam! :)

Patricia Kim December 8th, 2003 02:22 PM

Re WAs from a total amateur's point of view: if you like your cam enough, you will find yourself using it more. The more you use it, the more likely you will want to take that shot that could have been so much more fun or interesting with the WA. A WA on my cam is almost a permanent fixture at this point. The only question is which one I use when.

Jamie Patterson December 8th, 2003 07:08 PM

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but do DV953 batteries work in the GS100K? I am shopping around for a 2nd battery for my GS100k, but they are all well over 130$.. at least in the stores I've looked at here in Japan. Do 3rd party batteries work with the 100K?

<<<-- Originally posted by Dennis Sladek : I've owned the DV953 since April and I'm very pleased with it. You'll want a descent quality (vs. junky) wide angle adapter if you want to capture large groups of people closely or for stuff like video tours of the inside of homes.

Why not just get an extra battery if you're concerned of running out of power? Batteries are cheap enough, 3rd. party.

Extra battery @ B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=227282&is=REG

Extra battery @ walmart.com
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A81460%3A82070

URL to Panasonic battery
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...l%20Camcorders -->>>

Richard Longman December 8th, 2003 08:22 PM

Wow! Many thanks to your answers and the battery links. I will forget about the adaptor for now.

Carlos E. Martinez December 9th, 2003 05:35 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jamie Patterson : Sorry if this has already been discussed, but do DV953 batteries work in the GS100K? I am shopping around for a 2nd battery for my GS100k, but they are all well over 130$.. at least in the stores I've looked at here in Japan. Do 3rd party batteries work with the 100K?
-->>>

I also don't know if GS100K battery replacements question was discussed here, but I would risk saying you can use DV953's and MX500's batteries alright.

In their manuals the AC adaptor outputs 7.8v and 7.9 respectively, and the batteries should provide 7.8/7.2v and 7.9/7.2v. This is quite likely reduced to 5v inside the camera, so I would even say that 6v batteries may probably work on them, but do not use them 6v having a look at the service manual. Though nothing will blow: they just may not work.

My Sony Hi-8 camera uses 7.2v batteries, but I carry two external adaptors: one by Bescor, which does not specify voltage but seems to be 8.5v; another which is a 6v battery that I bought on a store. They both work perfectly well and last much longer than the original batteries.

Carlos

Carlos E. Martinez December 9th, 2003 05:39 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : but do not use them 6v having a look at the service manual. Though nothing will blow: they just may not work. -->>>

Sorry, misprint. Do not use 6v batteries without having a look at the service manual. Even if nothing will blow, I can't be hold responsible if anything happens to the unit.

Carlos

Yow Cheong Hoe December 9th, 2003 12:03 PM

The GS70 uses a smaller battery compared to the MX500, so I'll guess that the GS100 would also be smaller than the MX500. A quick check on battery serial numbers will solve this problem.

Carlos E. Martinez December 9th, 2003 01:56 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Yow Cheong Hoe : The GS70 uses a smaller battery compared to the MX500, so I'll guess that the GS100 would also be smaller than the MX500. A quick check on battery serial numbers will solve this problem. -->>>

If it's smaller it's probably because of capacity, not voltage.

Nowadays, with batteries on the outside, it's very much a question on how much a battery will unbalance the camera. They should all fit, lasting more or less according to capacity.

Assuming that the battery will be smaller because a new model is so isn't really a fact. Consumption is probably the same or more, as LCD screens drain most of the power. The larger the screen probably larger the drain.

In the manuals they specify voltages, and as long as the battery fits and is the right voltage you are on.

Carlos

Richard Longman December 9th, 2003 04:48 PM

I would only buy batteries for the pro-'sumer Panasonic PV-DV953 and not for those other models. Thank you again for the links!

Frank Granovski December 9th, 2003 05:52 PM

MX5000, MX500 and PV-DV953 batteries are all the same in way of fit and compatibility.

Allan Rejoso December 9th, 2003 07:05 PM

the 953 and GS100K have different batteries..and you can't interchange them unless you find a way to route the battery to the cam terminals (and probably attach the batt to the cam using duct tape or something.

Jamie, you'd better check the link given by Bogdan on batteries for the GS100K...those are equivalent batteries (allegedly using Pany cells) and can be bought in Japan at less than half the price of genuine Pany batts. don't worry you're still under warranty...just don't tell Pany you tried equivalent batts.

Hi from Mexico City.