Telephoto Lense Buying Help Needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old December 9th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #1
Tourist

Telephoto Lens Buying Help Needed

I have a PV-DV852 with 43mm lens dia.

For a 2x teleconverter do I want to buy one that is less dia like for example 37mm?

or ...

Is it best to buy one "larger" then my lens?

What effect does using one smaller (or larger) have on the resulting zoomed image?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:03 PM   #2
Outer Circle

I think the best would be to get one with the same thread size, and the next best would be to go bigger, with a ring to step down to 43mm. But I assume that there may be exceptions, depending on the adaptor model. Perhaps Tom Hardwick can suggest some tele's.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 05:45 AM   #3
Outer Circle

bump
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #4
Trustee

Bob,

go with a bigger one- a few sizes up on the filter threading and use a step-up ring to adapt it to your dv cam- this will aid in WA shooting and produce less vignetting when shooting wa......but you can't go too much larger as the center portion of the lens is where the best optical quality is found and you'll notice distortion throughout the zoom range- my rec is about 3 or 4 mm more than your DV cams threads, if available.

Also- stay away from the cheap sub $200 Kenko, Raynox, Sunpak 2X tc's -go for the Sony HG series and Century units- they're great! (If optical quality is of concern- ........if you're just playing around- then get what you can afford)
Old December 17th, 2003, 02:30 AM   #5
Trustee

I got the 43mm Canon 1.7X tele for my Panny PV-DV53. To my surprise, at the widest there is
only slight vignetting in 3 of 4 corners -- and it is
not visible on the LCD/viewfinder. It is outside the
TV safe area!
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant