DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Hi to everyone:) need help deciding DV852? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/18412-hi-everyone-need-help-deciding-dv852.html)

Aykut Ozen December 16th, 2003 02:40 AM

Hi to everyone:) need help deciding DV852?

First i would like to say hi to everyone and thanks to this great community...

I'm 24 y/o musician highly interested in film making,editing and visuals...in the past i did couple of projects with the dv cams that i borrowed from my friends and now it's time to get one for myself...I was totally decided on the dv-953 before someone posted here that DV852 is going for $569 at B&H.Now i know comparing a 3 chipper vs 1 chipper is not right...but people say the image quality is close and plus you get good low light which i think is important for my projects in mind...I also have good knowledge with NLEs...So would you guys recommend DV852 over 953 and save some money for other accessories.Is it possible to get pro results from this consumer dv cam with the help of a solid NLE?I will use this cam for mostly film like projects(exg:indie films,music videos,experimental stuff)

is 953 worth spending an extra $500 over 852?

Thanks to everyone

Aykut

Yow Cheong Hoe December 16th, 2003 03:01 AM

If you do mostly indoors and under inadequate lighting, the 852 might just be better.

However, considering that you may need to control the audio input, the 953 will have that function.

Editing and such are exactly the same for the two cameras.

I dare say that the 852 is the highest/best consumer cam, and the 953 is the lowest/worst of the prosumer cams in terms of quality (I am sure many will disagree with me, but...) but Panasonic series are definitely very affordable.

Aykut Ozen December 16th, 2003 03:21 AM

YowCH,

Thanks for your reply...Anyone know a web site that i can see some sample frame grabs from dv852 or good review...(i searched almost everywhere with no luck)or can anyone post some low light and daylight frame grabs as well as the Letterbox/16:9 from dv852...

Also dv852 has a additional mic input right?If i get a nice mic can i use it with this cam?

Thanks

Frank Granovski December 16th, 2003 05:24 AM

Sure, I'll help you. :-)

My opinion is this. For that super B&H price for the PV-DV852, you'll simply not find a better deal and a better "low light" 1 chip cam. My advice is: when opportunity presents itself, seize it, or else you will lose it.

Regarding the $500+ for PV-DV953, no, I don't think it is worth it, since you mentioned your shooting will be with lower light.

In some ways I agree that the PV-DV953 is the worst low-end prosumer 3 chip, but in other ways I would say that the GL2 and TRV950---and even the DVX100---would be king of this not so honourable crown. With any cam, you pick it for its features. For the money, I think the PV-DV953 is a fantastic cam---depending on what you need in a cam.

Dan Brown December 16th, 2003 08:42 AM

Frank, please elaborate on your negative comment respecting the DVX100(and I assume DVC80) cams. I am pretty well set on the DVC80 (a huge investment for me) and I find your comment most troubling.

Thanks..

Yow Cheong Hoe December 16th, 2003 09:13 AM

The biggest negative I give for the DVX100 is the price: way beyond what I can afford to buy. :-)

The biggest negative I have against the DVX80 is that it is NTSC (I live in PAL land).

Well, if you have specific needs, cost is no longer a concern. If you need to balance cost against performance, you'll always see better stuff out there. I know, I am balancing more on cost than performance. But seriously, given the cost of Panasonic against Sony or Canon, the features and quality is certainly good.

Back to Aykut, The 852 has mic input, but I am not sure if this input is amplified by the cam or not.

Tommy Haupfear December 16th, 2003 09:17 AM

I agree with Frank in that if you want the DV852 don't delay. Last I heard they had five left and its not like they are making anymore!

Take a look at what our creative friend Alex accomplished with a $300 Panasonic PV-DV53. He's 15 and proving that you can get great results in post even on a tight budget.

ftp://24.209.61.85/Harsh%20Manner%20...All%20Fear.wmv

Dan Brown December 16th, 2003 09:21 AM

Enough waffling already!!!! I just ordered a DV852!! WoooHooo!!!

This will be my first forey into video. If it takes off, I'll upgrade later. If not, I'll shoot the kids and neighbors with it.

Tommy Haupfear December 16th, 2003 09:35 AM

Congrats!

Let us know how it all turns out.

Frank Granovski December 16th, 2003 12:29 PM

Congrats, Dan! Wise move.

Quote:

Frank, please elaborate on your negative comment respecting the DVX100(and I assume DVC80) cams. I am pretty well set on the DVC80 (a huge investment for me) and I find your comment most troubling.
I carefully wrote that with the lack of 16:9 in mind. The PV-DV953 has very good 16:9 with the PDX10 even slightly better 16:9----but no progressive other than the 15fps cartoon look. ;-)

Aykut Ozen December 16th, 2003 07:03 PM

out of stock!

Dan , i think you got the last one:)...it's out of stock now at B+H...Anyone please let me know if it's available in another reputable store at same price range?...or maybe that means i have to wait for the new US version of gs100k:)...

Frank Granovski December 16th, 2003 10:01 PM

My advice was: when opportunity presents itself, seize it, or else you will lose it. Tommy first posted this PV-DV852 info 1 month ago. These types of fantastic deals don't hang around for the undecided. It's first come, first serve.

R. Scott Hanson December 18th, 2003 11:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Yow Cheong Hoe :

Back to Aykut, The 852 has mic input, but I am not sure if this input is amplified by the cam or not. -->>>

So... anyone know about the mic input on the 852 and whether or not it's amplified by the camera? What are the pros/cons of that? Is it possible to obtain very good sound with an external mic on the 852?

One last question: everyone says this model does a great job on color accuracy even though it's not 3CCD, but would it pass for broadcast quality? I will be using it for some documentary film work (in addition to everyday stuff). I wish it was a top-loading machine too, but you can't have it all for under $600...

Yow Cheong Hoe December 18th, 2003 11:47 PM

So... anyone know about the mic input on the 852 and whether or not it's amplified by the camera? What are the pros/cons of that? Is it possible to obtain very good sound with an external mic on the 852?

One last question: everyone says this model does a great job on color accuracy even though it's not 3CCD, but would it pass for broadcast quality? I will be using it for some documentary film work (in addition to everyday stuff). I wish it was a top-loading machine too, but you can't have it all for under $600... -->>>

I am pretty sure that the sound from an external mic will be fine with the 852, the worry is whether the cam amplifies the sound from the external mic through the mic jack.

As for broadcast, if you a shooting a documentary for TV stations using a MiniDV 3CCD cam, most likely it'll be rejected, even the XL-1s can't cut it. However, if clips from home video is used within a documentary, and the clips are from the 1CCD 852, I am pretty sure that the result is pretty decent. I have matched the Mx8 against the MX350 (1CCD vs 3CCD), my audience couldn't tell the difference between the two cameras (given good lighting) although on closer scrutiny, the MX350 is sharper and higher contrast. In dim lights, the 3CCD retains colours while the 1CCD greys out, but the 1CCD can capture lower lights than the 3CCD.

You can actually get $600 cams with top loading, look at the new GS series. However, the stabiliser is digital, the lens are smaller, the blah blah blah... I would re-iterate the fact the the MX8/DV852 is a gem in the Panasonic line-up.

R. Scott Hanson December 19th, 2003 12:03 AM

Thanks, Yow. OK, I am submitting my order for a DV852 at B & H... RIGHT now! I don't know if it's the last one or not, but it says in stock as of this moment... There's also one on eBay with full warranty for $564 from another camera shop in NYC.

I was going to wait until January's CES show for new announcements, but this seems like too good of a deal--and it sounds like I'll be pretty happy with it for the money (I wanted the DV953 or GS100K but can't afford it). I actually spoke with a Panasonic rep today, and he said the new models wouldn't be released until April at the earliest--and perhaps as late as September for some models.