DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Sadly I have given up on my MX300 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/18626-sadly-i-have-given-up-my-mx300.html)

Andrew Hogan December 20th, 2003 09:20 PM

Sadly I have given up on my MX300

Since new I have had video "Glitches" and Audio dropouts with my MX300. It has been in for repair several times for replacement parts, new firmwares, and head cleanings.

Got it back on Thursday, from the third attempt to fix it, and I was pleased to have it back so I could use it to video a 14 hour music festival that happens once a year. So yesterday I started filming with it and now it won't even focus!

If Panasonic "do the right thing" by me after I suggest the replace my "Lemon" with a new equivalent video camera, and I get a say in it, what camera should I ask for. MX500 or the new GS100 I have heard of but know little about it. (I don't beleive it is in Australia yet though)

And, would my MX300 wide Angle Lens and Batteries fit on the other cams?

Frank Granovski December 21st, 2003 02:27 AM

Quote:

Sadly I have given up on my MX300...Since new I have had video "Glitches" and Audio dropouts with my MX300. It has been in for repair several times for replacement parts, new firmware, and head cleaning.
This is sad. Did you abuse your MX300? Why would you need to take it in for head cleaning if you stuck with 1, good brand/type of miniDV tape such as Fuji? How many "new firmware" did you get?
Quote:

Got it back on Thursday, from the third attempt to fix it, and I was pleased to have it back so I could use it to video a 14 hour music festival that happens once a year. So yesterday I started filming with it and now it won't even focus!
Why wouldn't it focus? Were you using auto focus in "low light?" (That's a "no-no.") Maybe the manual ring got stuck---dirt got in?
Quote:

If Panasonic "do the right thing" by me after I suggest the replace my "Lemon" with a new equivalent video camera, and I get a say in it, what camera should I ask for. MX500 or the new GS100 I have heard of but know little about it. (I don't believe it is in Australia yet though)
If indeed it was a "lemon," then why didn't you get it replaced by Panasonic sooner? The MX300 is 4 years old.
Quote:

And, would my MX300 wide Angle Lens and Batteries fit on the other cams?
Wide angle, yes. I guess everyone wants a new GS100. :-))

Andrew Hogan December 21st, 2003 04:11 PM

I handle my cameras like they are some sort of precious artifact, I only use New Panasonic tapes, never mix brands and only ever record to them once.

They have replaced firmware twice. (at least to my knowledge)

I tried Manual and AutoFocus. It can focus at around 4x Zoom and higher but not at wider angles. But it can focus at wide angle at a subject to distance of a few inches but won't focus at a distance. Its not my technique, I video bands a lot & for many years.

I bought my MX300 less then 2 years ago. I don't like being without it for months at a time as footage with errors, dropped frames and audio dropouts is better then no footage at all. This is frustrating. I will call my Panasonic Sales Rep again today and see what can be done. I wanted to use it on an overseas holiday next week. I'm just glad I had a chance to find out before I got there.
Is there somewhere I can read about the GS100?

Frank Granovski December 21st, 2003 04:29 PM

If you've had nothing but problems with your MX300 these last 2 years, in and out of the shop severl times, etc, I would get Pana to replace it, or refund your money. Let us know what Pana does or does not.

Note: the GS100 is a Japanese Domestic, a NTSC cam. There are a number of threads here with good info and links.

Frank Granovski December 22nd, 2003 04:25 AM

No word from Pana yet? Was this past monday a holiday in Australia?

Andrew Hogan December 22nd, 2003 05:35 PM

I rang the Panasonic Sales Rep yesterday (Monday, no it wasn't a holiday) but I got his VoiceMail. He hasn't called me back yet.

Then I rang another Panasonic guy in Sydney which I beleive he is the State Manger or something similar and left a message on his answering machine. I tried several times during the day and keep getting the answering machine. This morning "Tuesday" I wrote an email to him stating my current situation and asking for a refund.

I fly to Fiji on Sunday for a long overdue holiday and the Panasonic won't be coming with me. I am very disappointed.

Andrew Hogan December 22nd, 2003 05:46 PM

Just got a call from another guy from Panasonic checking that the focus problem was not just due to the camera's settings.

He is now relaying this to someone else...

I'm glad they haven't shut down for Christmas.

Frank Granovski December 22nd, 2003 07:12 PM

E-mail stuartc@panasonic.com.au right now, Sydney, AU, about your problem. If anyone can help, he's the man.

Andrew Hogan December 22nd, 2003 11:23 PM

Panasonic has fully resolved my situation and I am more than happy with the outcome.

Thanks for your interest Frank

and a big Thankyou to Panasonic Australia!

Frank Granovski December 23rd, 2003 12:32 AM

Glad to hear that, Andrew. :-))

Yow Cheong Hoe December 23rd, 2003 03:00 AM

Ahh... the orphaned child finds his father again, great ending!

Nice to hear that Panasonic service ain't all that bad.

Here in Singapore, they keep the cam for 1 month and they return it fixed. Even a loan set in the mean time!

Dave Largent December 23rd, 2003 07:22 PM

Just curious what Panasonic did to resolve the
situation? Are some cam makers known to have
better customer service than others?

Frank Granovski December 23rd, 2003 07:32 PM

Quote:

Just curious what Panasonic did to resolve the situation?
He's probably not allowed to say.
Quote:

Are some cam makers known to have better customer service than others?
Yes. Pana AU is A-1 compared with the North American cam maker head offices, except for Canon. Canon USA has always been #1, from what I can tell.