NV-GS300 coming - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old January 7th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #46
Outer Circle

The new one, with OIS, widescreen and good low light. It should come one day. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:25 PM   #47
Wrangler

Yeah, its not often low light and high quality widescreen go in the same sentence (at least not in my price range).

The only way I see that combo possible is for the cam to have VX2100/PD170 specs but with native 16:9 chips (not megapixel 16:9 extractions).
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:21 AM   #48
Outer Circle

In other words, I'm setting my sights toward the horizon. :-))
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:46 AM   #49
Major Player

Yeah, I just read the report on camcorderinfo.com

My conclusion - Pana really show they don't care for the real stuff. Again bow to the ignorent average consumer. Phuu..

Very happy I bought GS100 as I'm sure the replacement will be worse.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #50
Major Player

Frank,
That horizon you are looking for sounds like it is probably going to be on Mars given everything I have read in this thread.

So CES announcements are good news for those that shoot Uncle Louie's birthday once a year and Cousin Matilda's graduation (also a one timer experience). Whoop-de-do! Guess the marketing survey results favor video cams the size of Lucky Charms for limited family use. Sounds like the manufacturer's slogan in 2004 is, "Spare change camcorders for the masses."

The good news is that there are still a couple of pretty good 3-chippers out there that may be the workhorses for the next few years.

Oh yea, one more thing. Since there can only be one "Black Mamba", do you think the Panny DVC80 should be called the "Black Adder" (with all due respect to Rowan Adkins)?

Nick
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #51
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Bogdan Vaglarov : Yeah, I just read the report on camcorderinfo.com

My conclusion - Pana really show they don't care for the real stuff. Again bow to the ignorent average consumer. Phuu..

Very happy I bought GS100 as I'm sure the replacement will be worse. -->>>

It seems Pana's strategy for North American is quite different from Japan domestic market. It is so sad to read that GS100k will not be saled in the US. Good luck for those guys, who got GS100k from Japan.
Honglin Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #52
Outer Circle

Quote:
That horizon you are looking for sounds like it is probably going to be on Mars
...and a most interesting planet, I must say.

Well, no harm in waiting and watching. And I'm also curious what the GS100 replacement will be like in June. Allan, you might want to get ready with this one.
Old January 9th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Over at Cnet thekir CES 2004 articles talk about the new Panasonic
GS120 and GS200. No details, but thats what Panasonic anounced, and is saying both are under 1000.00 US.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #54
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney : Over at Cnet thekir CES 2004 articles talk about the new Panasonic GS120 and GS200. No details, but thats what Panasonic anounced, and is saying both are under 1000.00 US. -->>>

go back to pages 2-3 of this thread for more info and links to the 2 new models
R. Scott Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #55
Outer Circle

The GS120 and GS200 seem to be based on the GS70, and not the GS100. Don't let the higher numbers fool you. I'm placing my bets that the real GS100 upgrade will be for Japan only---at least for a while.
Old January 9th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #56
Major Player

That's funny; the GS100 seems like a better deal than both the GS120 and 200.
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #57
Outer Circle

That's because the deals are in Japan only. ;)
Old January 9th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #58
Major Player

...Allan, you might want to get ready with this one.

Most likely in a more compact form and size. That's why I suspect it could look like this GS200, if not it. Would you guys like something that small with OIS, pro features and decent widescreen. If Pany could possibly squeeze in a 3.5 LCD on that form factor, that would be nice.

One thing promising about the GS200 is that similar to GS70, it could have a slightly better low-light performance than GS100 (as reviewers in Japan have noted), assuming its CCDs are the same low resolution one (360K).

Problem with the GS100 right now is the strong value of Yen. As a result, the black mamba's net US$ price is basically unchanged since 4 months back. Owners who bought that time are very lucky indeed.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:29 PM   #59
New Boot

PAL is for PAL land......

I refer to my earlier post on page 2 of this thread.

Thank you Frank, thank you Tommy, and thank you Bogdan for your help in clarifying my mind on the question of NTSC against PAL. I was rather taken aback by Frank’s strong assertion that
"PAL is for PAL-land; NTSC is for NTSC-land; GS100 = NTSC, so I suggest not to buy this cam if you're in PAL-land."
But later he added a very helpful website for further reading. I followed this and many others. Some were technical enough for my limited knowledge of signal processing to appreciate their explanations and arguments. Much too often one was coming across words such as “fuzzy, jumping, loosing definition, judder, jitter, etc”. This is when I realized that Frank was right with his dictum. Entering the quagmire of conversion between different TV standards will inevitably result in the definition loss and likely to lead to other problems.
Consequently, if I am bent on the Black Samba I have two choices:

1. To buy NTSC version and put up with the loss of definition on conversion to PAL and much lesser problem of the language.
2. Wait for the PAL version and buy a castrated (by all accounts) Black Samba and put up with the consequent loss in functions and performance.

It is a no win situation, so I decided to buy MX500 for the time being from nemonic.com and wait a year or two (or more) for a solid state camcorder. MX500 arrived at the door halfway through typing this post and one and halve days before my departure for Ecuador. It is only now that I got hooked up here to the Internet, so please accept my apology for this delay in replying and many thanks for your help. Now I have a few months here and in my spare time I will put the camcorder and myself to a thorough test, especially when I get to the Galapagos Islands.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:32 PM   #60
New Boot

Frank Granowski said:

“I'll hit the big 50 on March 4th. I don't feel my age except for those darn 80 year old knees and my poor head---infested with lots of white stuff. Nevertheless, I kick and punch each and every day”

Many happy returns to Frank and his knees which preceded him by thirty years. And many thanks for the copious help given readily and unselfishly to so many of us over such a long time.

Clive

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant