DVC30 question - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 9th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #46
Major Player

I believe the DVC80 will disappear. 16x zoom...nice. A lot of folks will be interested in the cine-gamma frame mode...supposedly similar to the DVX100, and a carryover from the GS100K. It is a lot cuter and can be somewhat stripped down to make it look like a consumer cam (although Frank will be happy to hear that it is BLACK). I am disappointed that they gutted the 16:9 mode. I won't buy it for that reason alone.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #47
Trustee

Yep. 16x lens does it for me. The DVC80 10x lens is not very good for wildlife video. The DVC30 with 2x converter lens would get out to 32x which is just about right for me. If the image quality is as good as the GL2 the choice is clear since the DVC30 has several beneficial features that the GL2 does not. Also, they are not that far apart in price. After a few months they should be even closer.

Regards,

Mark W.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #48
Major Player

Three (3) blade iris with built-in ND filter.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:16 PM   #49
Major Player

DVC30 or VX2100 or GL2???
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:21 PM   #50
Trustee

Hey Guy,

Nice waterfall shots on your web page. Take a look at Mark Morrison's guide to "Waterfall Walks and Drives in Georgia...". I think they have it at the Inn up at Amicolola. If not, I saw it at the store atop Neel's Gap. It gives all the detailed directions to some popular and mainly hard to find waterfalls in N. Ga.

Regards,

Mark
Old March 9th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #51
Major Player

Thanks, Mark. I think there is a web site on GA waterfalls, too. Or, waterfalls of N. America...something like that. Haven't looked at it in some time. Do you have any of your wildlife shots up on the web?
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:51 AM   #52
Regular Crew

I appreciate all the information that DVinfo forums provide. I have before and will now throw my two cents in.

I have been trying to get into DV from still since last Summer. I hve tried a plethora of cameras and found them all to be lacking. I walk a delicate line between ability and capability. The latter to come with experience. Anyway the DVC30 may be the camera that gets me to open my wallet. Sure I like the DVX100's, but I'm no cinematogropher, nor am I paid! I tried the Canon ZR65 - not for me. I then upgraded to the DV953. While I really tried to like this camera it just wasn't meant to be.

Then I tried a PDX10 - way too many smeer problems, terrible balance... OK, try a GL2. Good video, good controls, but the viewfinder was the pits. (Its OK if you shoot from the LCD but remember I'm comming from the SLR stills realm.)

So In my mind there are two candidates. I was all set to buy the DVC80 when I followed the rumors and later confirmation of the DVC30. Smaller size, bigger zoom, better processing (?). I can't wait to get my hands on this baby!
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #53
Trustee

Guy,

I don't have anything posted yet. All my stuff so far has been in the print media and have been slowly making the shift to dv. I am working on a commercial web site that should be up in about 6 months to showcase 2 videos that I have been working on for the past two years. I will also have a photo gallery on the site.

Regards,

Mark W.
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #54
Obstreperous Rex

Earlier in this thread I had indicated that I'd find out the lens filter thread diameter on the DVC30. The product manager informs me it is 43mm. Sorry for the delay,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #55
Outer Circle

Thanks, Allan. So it has a 3-blade iris.built-in ND filter; and the threads are 43mm (thanks, Chris). The same threads mean everything should fit from the MX and GS cams, but most professional filters will be unavailable since pro filters usually start at the 49mm thread size (and up).

Tom, could you give us "your take" on 3-blade iris's?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #56
Trustee

Chris,

Thanks for the info. B&H has a cannon 43mm 1.7x lens but I don't know if it is and good. See it here....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=233580&is=REG

Do you think the Sony 2x lens with a 58mm to 43mm step down ring would be a better choice?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...#goto_itemInfo

Regards,

Mark
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #57
Major Player

43mm? Frank, any chance this lessens the possibility of the gs400 appearing in NTSC format? (Okay, my mind works in ways mysterious even to me, but as you mention, 43mm is not the normal "pro" lens.)
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #58
Major Player

I was just at the B&H site and they have some spec posted. I don't know if they are a mish-mash possibly of the dvx100 specs or not, but they're sayin 1/4" ccds and 72mm filter diameter. Actually makes more sense, given the way the cam is being pitched. So could Chris' Panasonic contact have inadvertantly let the cat out of the bag about the successor to the 953 being in the works?
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #59
Trustee

This is crazy. I've been trying for 4 weeks to simply find out the filter thread size and keep getting diffenent opinions even from the Panasonic folks. The reason this is important to me is I need maximum telephoto capability for wildlife topics and it is an economic issue.

DVC-30 with 72mm threads means century optics 1.7x tel at $850.00 or total package price around $3,100. If its DVC-30 with 43mm threads means 1.7x sony or 2x century with step down ring at in the $250 - $350 range or package price about $2,500

Also if its 72mm then that opens up the option for the PD170 at around $3,250 with tel lens.

I guess the right answer may come only when someone finally gets one in their hands and give us a report for sure.

Arrg!!!!!
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #60
Major Player

If it makes any difference, the dvc-30 is being advertised as coming with built-in wide angle capability. That would seem to suggest that 72mm is correct. There is a small brochure you can download from the Panasonic site. I don't recall it mentioning 43 or 72 mm, but I think it did mention the wide angle aspect. If you take a look at the B&H site, even though it's possible they could have mixed up some info from the dvx100, the specs they are showing for the cam are consistent with the brochure - at least from what I recall (sorry, I dumped the brochure from my computer sometime ago). And awhile back there were no specs listed on the B&H site, so...
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant