16:9 vs. 4:3 Resolution/Cropping - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old January 2nd, 2004, 04:57 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Rob. I did some more reading and think I understand DV Widescreen a little better. The way I understand it is that 4:3 and 16:9 DV is 720x480. In 4:3 DV each pixel is .9091 times as wide as it is tall. In 16:9 DV, each pixel is 1.2121 times as wide as it is tall. So, to make the aspect look correct when displaying 16:9 (e.g., back to a .9 pixel ratio on screen), the camera has to stretch the 4:3 image vertically by 1.3 when it records the 720x480 image to tape.

I guess that Vegas takes that 720 pixels per line and multiplies it by 1.2121 and lists that (872 or 873 with rounding) as the effective number of square pixels per line even though there are only 720 actual pixels.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #17
RED Code Chef

That is completely correct Guy! Good job!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #18
Major Player

Well, all the math aside. Pictures are mightier than words...or some such quote...I have posted a couple of videos on my website that show how well the DV953 macro focuses and its quality in 16:9 frame mode. They are slow motion videos of a liquid drop in MPEG2 (Main Concept) and WMP 9 HD. The DV953 is only about 3 inches from the liquid...incredible! Video rendered in Vegas 4.0.
Old January 7th, 2004, 02:14 AM   #19
Outer Circle

Thanks, Guy! 3 inches away?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 03:53 AM   #20
Major Player

:-) That's my estimate. The shot was taken with manual focus, no zoom and stuck as close to the liquid as I could get. Resolution is fantastic. Those vertical lines you see on the left, center and far right of the picture are wear marks on the outside of the glass along the fluting.
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Guy,

Just saw wour liquid drop clips. Realy nice. I like the resolution.
And you captured the suspense just right. What was the shutter speed?
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #22
Major Player

Thanks for the kind words, Ayosha. It was shot at 1/60 shutter in bright kitchen light, no fill. Maybe if I had had more light, I could have stopped down to increase the sharpness a little or raised the shutter speed to reduce blur.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant