Thoughts? Equal or better 16:9? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old January 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #16
Wrangler

Michael, nice pics. What cam? Even though I have a dedicated still camera its still nice to squeeze off a few pics if you're in a pinch with just your camcorder. My digital camera weighs a ton.

It would be nice to have a compact digital camcorder that had great widescreen, low light, and OIS but these days you usually sacrifice low light.

The PDX10 has better low light and 16:9 than the DV953 but is somewhat cost prohibitive at $2000.

So which cam are you leaning to?
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #17
Wrangler

Well thanks for all the great comments, you kinda sent me back to the drawing board :-)

Here's the list again
--------------------------
  • DV953 $1099 + Raynox .5 Wide $139 = $1238
    DV852 $569 + Century 16:9 37mm $319 = $888
    DV852 $569 + Century 16:9 58mm $699 = $1268 (absurd)
    Optura Xi = $1,134.95
    GS100 = $????

My current preferences:
1. I'd love to get the GS100 - but I'm leaving in a week. As luck would have it I happen be going to the Philippines so I might be able to make an HK/Japan/Singapore side trip while I'm there :-)

2. The DV852 + Century 16:9 58mm option makes sense to me. It sounds absurd in the context of this thread, but that lense is an investment I can use with other camcorders.

2. Optura Xi - It's an all in one solution and that counts for a lot

2. DV953 + wide angle - another great choice

*** yes there are three #2 choices - I'm still in the dog house trying to decide.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
nice pics. What cam?
  • An old banged up Canon G2 - which will probably become a 300D in a few months. Those pics are straight from the camera - no post processing - except for the Pbase.com downsizing.

You're 953 pics gave me pause though, nice stuff, the 953 quality is definitely very good
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:22 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
The PDX10 has better low light and 16:9 than the DV953 but is somewhat cost prohibitive at $2000
  • Is the PDX10 a large camcorder? I've played with the 953 and I'm not that distressed with it's low light. So if the PDX10 has better low light and is relatively small I could use it as an all purpose camcorder.

Plus the XLR inputs are icing on the cake ... oh all right, one more trip to B&H Photo, I have to take a good look at the PDX10
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #20
Wrangler

The G2 is still a great cam.

I originally started with a 300D (Digital Rebel) but moved on up to the 10D. I still wouldn't mind having a black G2 for portability.

My old Digital Rebel

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...Picture191.jpg

Below are a few pics of my PDX10. The last is all dolled up with the XLR adapter and a wide angle lens. The PDX10 is compact but built really solid and can get tiresome after about 20 minutes of handheld. I took it to Hilton Head in November and I was glad to have my tripod.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...896(Small).jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...897(Small).jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...040(Small).jpg
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #21
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Wisniewski :
My current preferences:
1. I'd love to get the GS100 - but I'm leaving in a week. As luck would have it I happen be going to the Philippines so I might be able to make an HK/Japan/Singapore side trip while I'm there :-)
-->>>

Hong Kong and Singapore are PAL-lands, sorry, no GS100, but there will be GS70 :)

I am not too sure about Philippines being PAL or NTSC, but the GS100 is not in many places, Japan is the only sure place.
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 01:40 AM   #22
Wrangler

Philippines is NTSC, but it's not a great place to buy electronics.

I didn't have a hard time finding NTSC camcorders, last time I shopped in Hong Kong and Singapore (8 years ago) I just had to ask around a bit. Most vendors seemed to know everybody elses inventory - so it was pretty easy.

But you're right, Japan is probably the best place. If I don't buy something before I leave, I might re-schedule my layover in Osaka to provide some shopping time. Any recommendations for places to check out?
Old January 9th, 2004, 02:00 AM   #23
Major Player

Assuming you're willing to pay cash, buy online from any of the stores listed in kakaku.com, choose the COD (Yen) payment method, and have it delivered to your hotel. Timing is very important though as it takes only a day to deliver and most discount sellers wont agree to defer their delivery (or save the merchandise for you) unless you find a way to pay them in cash immediately. Latest prices of the GS100 cam are from JPY102,000 and above. Note that you have to pay 5% tax in addition to delivery fee and cash handling fee (by the express delivery company)

Otherwise, go to any regular electronic store. Prices should be standard. Dont forget to bring your passport to avail of 5% tax free. If the store has a point card system, make sure to apply for that card (for free) prior to purchase to avail of point back system (8% to 15% of the item price depending on the store and your mode of payment). Same day application and purchase is ok. Same day claim of your accumulated point against another purchase is ok too. For instance, if you buy the cam for around JPY120K and get 10% point, you can use that point to purchase your extra batt or other accessories.

Good luck to you..BTW, are those shots taken in Boracay?
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 02:29 AM   #24
Wrangler

Cool thanks for the shopping tips, I'll keep them in mind.

And, yeah that is Boracay!
Old January 9th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #25
Major Player

If you want to save a little more on the wide angle lens, do an internet search for the 43mm Kodak Ektanar .65 wide angle. It was made for the DC4800 still camera that was positioned against the Nikon 880 in 2000-2001. It can be had for <$50 either online or pickup.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #26
Wrangler

Guy, thats a good price on a 43mm WA adapter. Have you (or anyone else) used this successfully with a Panasonic 3CCD cam?

Is it a coated lens? I'm guessing not.
Old January 9th, 2004, 09:29 AM   #27
Major Player

Tommy,
I haven't used it and cannot find anything quality-wise (coatings, resolution, aberrations, etc.) about it. Dpreview.com reviewed the DC4800 and noted some chromatic aberrations on the primary lens on the camera. However, they did not review the wide angle.

I'm mulling over getting it just for grins. At that price, its not a big financial risk. There are also a companion telephoto and some closeup lenses for similar prices.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #28
Wrangler

Well that settles it, after this whole process, my mom decided that she would be the one to purchase an Optura Xi for our vacation because all her friends had a camcorder too.

And the final selection criteria for an Optura Xi? Oh! It's soooooo cuuuute! I'll take that one :-p
Old January 13th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #29
Wrangler

Yep, I had to have one as soon as it cam out but the limited contrast ratio, poor low light, and hunting AF (in dim light) had me dumping it in just a month. Maybe I had a defective unit so it would be nice to see some of your outdoor frame grabs and to read your thoughts/comments.
Old January 13th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #30
Wrangler

Yeah, definitely, going to give it a good work out - probably the only time it's ever going to be in manual mode.

When I get back I'm taking the money and picking up a DVC80.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant