DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Need advice!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/19539-need-advice.html)

Viktoras Seputa January 9th, 2004 01:01 PM

Need advice!!!

Hi,

I'm supposed to buy a DV camera. I'm mainly want to use the camera for outside shooting (sports: windsurfing etc.).
I've 2 possibilities: there are both cameras present in my local shop: the MX500 and MX300. And both at the same price.
Is it worth to buy an older one for the excellent capturing quality or should I choose the MX500 to save my money and have the 3 megapix stills but a bit poorer video capturing?
I'll be thankfull for any opinion from you guys :)

Thanks

Frank Granovski January 9th, 2004 05:39 PM

Some owners may disagree, I believe the MX500 is the better cam. There are good features on the MX300, and the MX300 will be a bit better in lower light, but the MX500 is more solid, easier to gip and has sharper resolution. If I had to choose today, I'd take the MX500 over the MX300---I'm basing my judgement on comparing the PV-DV953 with my MX300. One thing to keep in mind is that the MX300 you're looking at most likely doesn't have the newer firmware upgrade, version 1.5 or version 1.6---and this upgrade is difficult to have done with the MX300. Who's going to do this where you live? It'll probably have to be sent to Panasonic Germany. That's extra money stolen from your pockets.

Viktoras Seputa January 10th, 2004 02:42 AM

GS70

Thank you.
That is I was thinking about too.
Then may be I can think even about the GS70?
Contras: Digital stabilisator, 1.7 mpix stills only, ..?
Pros: ...? Any?

Thanks

Frank Granovski January 10th, 2004 05:19 AM

The resolution wouldn't be as high with the GS70, compared with the MX500. There's a lot less video effective CCD pixels---the GS70. Don't you like the MX500? It's a lot more solid. For pics, why not just buy a cheap digicamera?

Tommy Haupfear January 10th, 2004 07:37 AM

The GS70 has by far the worst image stabilization I've seen on a camcorder. I guess the GS70 is just too small for OIS or Panasonic removed it to lower price.

I'd go for the MX500 which has a no resolution loss 16:9 mode and unbelievable outdoors. My outdoor footage from the DV953 in 16:9 and frame mode looks great even on large screen TVs. BTW - the GS70 also does not have frame mode or advanced picture controls (color/sharpness).

Justin Boyle January 11th, 2004 07:39 PM

in video production the gs70 has exactly the same resolution at i believe 520 lines. I saw this in a test i'm not exactly sure what one. somone out there might know. I own a 500 and i am very happy about it but i was also looking at the gs70 and the only fault i could pick with the camera was the image stabilization. I also still believe that the camera is better in low light. this is not because the picture is brighter it just seems that there is less noise on screen. this is my opinion but you say that you will be using it outdoors anyway. the gs70 is cheaper and you can use a tripod but if you want to handhold it buy the 500. THe best thing for you to do is hold them both at the shops and see how they feel and if you find the gs70 too shaky then you need the 500 or a tripod if you would prefer. i would advise also that you use a tripod with any camera anyway. at least a monopod. these are the only things to look at however. the picture quality and color reproduction seem almost the same so the will both impress. the gs70 has some new functions such as soft skin however the 500 has great manual controls if you like to shoot in manual mode. just read through the reviews on the 500 on here and you should get a good idea.

Good luck

Frank Granovski January 11th, 2004 08:42 PM

It's impossible to get 520 playback lines with such low video effective CCD pixels. My guess would be about 460 lines or less. Even the PD150 and DV500 only play back 500 lines, and they have about 80K more vid. eff. CCD pixels.

Yow Cheong Hoe January 12th, 2004 08:06 AM

To make it simple for you: consider your needs, good video, good features, good handling, good price and (for some people) good looks.

Between the MX500 and MX300/350, I'll say that the MX500 will probably beat the MX300/350 when all the above are considered.

For myself, low lights, wider angle and low price are the concerns, so when I bought my cam, I chose the MX350 over the then just-released MX500.

I certainly would love to have an MX500 as a second angle!

Justin Boyle January 12th, 2004 08:14 PM

sorry but if you were going under this presumption frank then you could say that the xl1s is far inferior from this camera. There is a thing called pixel interpolation used on 3ccd cameras. The effective on the XL1s is around 300k and 320k total this is far less then the gs70s 460k odd total. This is more then the XM2 by memory and even less than the vx-2000 own 380k and 340k effective. I am also only telling you what i read on another site. Note also that ntsc is really only good for a maximum of around 520 lines and an effective of only 475 lines so i'm sure this is not too much of a problem.

Justin

Frank Granovski January 12th, 2004 08:28 PM

Quote:

sorry but if you were going under this presumption frank then you could say that the xl1s is far inferior from this camera
No, I'm not presuming "that the XL1s is far inferior from this camera." You are presuming that I am presuming this. The XL1 has larger CCDs for a "cleaner picture" and and uses interpolation to the utmost. Fine playback indeed. :-))

NTSC is 525 lines (NTSC); maximum DV playback resolution is 540 lines (NTSC & PAL); the XL1's been tested to play back 460 lines---source, DV Magazine.