DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   GS100K? Newbie to take the plunge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/19703-gs100k-newbie-take-plunge.html)

Dave Kim January 12th, 2004 08:49 PM

GS100K? Newbie to take the plunge

Hello all.

Been following most every thread and msg board regarding miniDV cams for the past year or so and most recently, been 'googling' like crazy for any info on the GS100K, especially on a possible North American release. Well based on what I've read on Panasonic's track record and the recent unveilings of Pana's offerrings at the CES, looks like it ain't gonna happen.

Here's some history. My search for a cam goes back to the release of the sony trv950. Aside from the numerous comparisons made with the 900, I guess I didn't have the $2000+ to spend and figured I'd start doing serious research on the net. While I should have been studying harder in dental school, I delved into the nuances of video tech and realized the vast array of cams out there to buy.

Because of my lust for the technical and the desire to have the best of what was offerred, I even tried to rationalize higher end cams, namely from sony and the other big companies. We're not talking the $5000+ stuff but things like the VX-2000, etc.

This went on for many months, where I'd take an occasional hiatus from this pursuit until I got wind of new releases. This journey took me into looking at the GL-2 from Canon, to a recent love affair with the DVX-100. Sure, all good stuff but then... REALITY struck.

1. Got married - wife would kill me if I spent this amount of cash, no matter what I had in the bank.

2. Expecting a child - will surely need a cam soon! Already missed video taping our first sonogram appointment.

3. I'm just a dentist, not a pro videographer. Maybe I'll consider the hi-end stuff if I really get addicted to this stuff.

4. Wife will never use it if it is too big and clunky; I now have a digital SLR which she absolutely refuses to touch. I bought her a canon pocket digicam and she's taken about a 1,000 photos of our dogs and carries it in her purse everyday.

5. If I keep waiting for the new stuff to come out, I'll never buy one.

So, based on what I've read, I like what I see in the gs100K and feel confident in what I have learned from all these posts and msg boards. Seem like a good balance of manual controls, portability, performance, features and (hate to say this) looks. Yes, the minute I saw that sleek black case, I just loved it, much like the reaction I had when I saw the japanese version (all black) of the canon GL-2.

Having done the research of the pv953 manual and looking at the current translations of the japanese menus, I feel comfortable with the katana characters.

Some of you probably have figured out I'm korean by my last name but this provides no unfair advantage. Born and raised in NY and now living in VT, I read korean like a monkey would, write like a chicken would (chicken scratch), and speak korean like a two year old.

My many thanks to all of you who have directly and indirectly contributed to enlightening me in my pusuits for a cam.

Cheers!

Dave 'flyfish' Kim

Frank Granovski January 12th, 2004 09:03 PM

The US Dollar is down, so the Japanese Yen is up. You will be paying more today for a GS100 (than 6 months ago).

Tommy Haupfear January 12th, 2004 09:18 PM

Jump on in, the waters fine. :)

I do believe I could have written word for word this same post except I was actually crazy enough to buy every cam I pondered.

I started with a Digital8 for my wife's sonograms and I was put off by the lackluster image quality. I then moved to a VX2000 and it was just too large for vacations and ate up my entire video budget (and then some). I now use the GS100 (black of course) and its mostly for home videos since I have a rambunctious two year old daughter and twin boys on the way. I convinced work to get a VX2000 and I use it for the low light events.

Its been a month so far and I still haven't gotten around to reviewing this cam completely but I've pretty much weaned myself off the Japanese cheat sheets and I'm comfortable navigating the menus.

Just make sure you have some fairly decent lighting in the house as you surely know these 1/6" 3CCD wonders aren't the greatest in low light performance.

Well dentist, tell me there is another option besides a night guard for Bruxism. Other than my wife slapping me up side the head.

BTW - my wife also won't have anything to do with my D-SLR but who said thats a bad thing? ;)

Nick Kerpchar January 13th, 2004 04:56 AM

Dave,
You only have to ask yourself two questions regarding the GS100K. First, do you want your wife to ever use the camcorder. Second, do you think that she will use it since it has the majority of labels and menues in Japanese. If the answer to the First question is, "Yes", and the answer to the Second question is, "No", then you better look at some other camcorder. And just from your comments I gather your wife is expecting. Then this may not be the best time to expect her to learn Japanese controls on a camcorder (or using a Japanese-to-English cheat sheet). On the other hand, she may enjoy the challenges of learning a new language and how to operate a camcorder for one of her life's most important events. I guess there is a Third question. Do you have the patience and money to send the GS100K back to Japan for servicing if it breaks (I have not heard anyone say that the GS100K can be repaired in the U.S. as there is no U.S. Warranty)? If the answer to the Third question is, "No", then you better look at some other camcorder.

Good luck with your decision and best wishes for a healthy baby, Nick

P.S. Sounds like you are a thorough researcher, however, you better make a decision on a camcorder soon or the first tape you shoot will be of your child's graduation from college. :)

Frank Granovski January 13th, 2004 05:03 AM

Quote:

Got married - wife would kill me if I spent this amount of cash, no matter what I had in the bank.
How about a Sony TRV38? It's pretty good bang for the buck.