Thoughts on the AG-DVC7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old January 14th, 2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Tourist

Thoughts on the AG-DVC7?

Has anyone used the DVC7? I am looking for a camera with pro features but can't afford 3 CCDs... Thoughts on the quality of images this camera will produce?
Bob Burbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #2
Wrangler

Wow, I haven't been keeping up with this cam but its now just $859 at Buydig.com.

I'm guessing you need a shoulder mount or to give the "professional" look of a pro cam as thats probably why most are sold.

The DV953 is just $100 more and has 3CCD, OIS, and a great deal more features.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Bob, one fellow from the boards that bought one was basically happy with it. But he bought it really cheap. In my opinion, all it is is a low-end Pana 1-chip, housed in a puffed-plastic body, intended for the shoulder; if you study its specs, you will notice that it ain't no professional cam, even though it's sold through Pana Pro's division in the USA---heck, it's not even a prosumer cam.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 12:00 AM   #4
Major Player

I thought it is a model release for video students, with the right feel of a pro cam, but the budget of a consumer cam.
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 12:59 AM   #5
Outer Circle

It probably is where you live, but in the USA it is sold as a Panasonic Professional. Now what does this tell ya? (Something's not right?) :-))
Old January 15th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
I thought it is a model release for video students, with the right feel of a pro cam, but the budget of a consumer cam.
I didn't notice it at first but the brochure for the AG-DVC7 is nothing but children. I also read a press release from Panasonic that quoted the following.

"The company is targeting the product at education, event videography, sports, and other professional applications"

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/panasoni.../B_AG-DVC7.pdf

Talk about the red headed stepchild.
Old January 15th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #7
Outer Circle

Really? A 1-chip "Pana Pro/sort of" for the kiddies? Ahh, I give up! Pana Pro should add a toy division. :-))

I wonder if it's a good seller? Never know.

PS: now I know it's got the small viewfinder. Kids have small---er, sharp eyes. ;-))
Old January 15th, 2004, 07:44 AM   #8
Wrangler

Panasonic probably made it a big nasty shoulder mount to discourage wayward youths from thieving it.

Ha - I love the sticker on the side that says "For Commercial Use Only". :)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/74415/AGDVC7.jpg
Old January 15th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #9
Tourist

low light shooting

I am hearing the 953 has trouble in low light... would the dvc7 be better.
I am shooting weddings, so I'll be doing a lot of shooting indoors where I can't control the lighting.
Other suggestions for cameras?
Bob Burbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #10
Wrangler

Low pixel count with a 1/4" CCD and it should definitely be better in low light than the DV953 but alas I've never used one.

You might want to read the few short reviews on epinions.com and skim for any mention of low light performance. Usually if no one complains about low light its reasonably good.
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #11
Outer Circle

Bob, if you want to shoot weddings, get yourself a VX2000/VX2100 or a GL2---or even an XL1.
Old January 15th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Interesting that it uses the same body as the dvc-10/dvc-15, which where 3-chip prosumer cams. Those weren't great but they came out early; same chips as the gl1.
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Maybe the AG-DVC7 was designed as a movie prop. The last movie I was background in was Stephen King's TV series "Kindom Hospital" shot in Vancouver Canada and they used a lot of very realistic camcorder props in it. Well anyways that would be a use for it.
Ben Wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi,

I think everyone looked over one aspect of this camcorder that is interesting. It claims a F11 sensitivity @ 2000 lux. Similar to other professional cameras. I have a feeling it is very good in low light. I would love to test this though.
Johann Adler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #15
Outer Circle

Johann, yes, but it's coupled with low resolution. :-))

Read about LUX here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/lux.htm

PS: if you want a shoulder style cam, look at the DVC15 instead. But if you really want a nice shoulder style wedding cam, see if you can pick up a used JVC DV500. :-)))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant