DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   question about video light for 852 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/19998-question-about-video-light-852-a.html)

Kaushik Mukhopadhaya January 18th, 2004 10:19 AM

question about video light for 852

I could not wait for 3CCD pana cams. I ended up buying pana 852 from B&H.
Now I am looking for accessories. Other than a UV filter and an extra battery what do you guys think about a video light? Does the pana video light model PV-DLT9 work in the accessory shoe? I was wondering why no one uses a video light in low light situations.
Also, the 5 hour battery looks bulky compared to 3 hour one. Do you guys think I need a 5 hour battery over 3 hour one if I use video light for taking picture in low light?
Thank you very much for reading my post.

Guy Bruner January 18th, 2004 11:02 AM

I don't use a video light because I find that increasing the room lighting is preferable. When I had my JVC, it had a light built into it. Almost invariably, every time I used it the subjects complained about the spotlight in their faces...ruins the video because all you get are folks squinting and complaining. Also, there is a cone of light that looks like you shot your video with a flashlight. Foreground subjects are brightly lighted and the background is dark.

Kaushik Mukhopadhaya January 18th, 2004 11:44 AM

My previous cam was JVC too

I had JVC GR-AXM50 model that had light built into it. However, nobdy compained about the spotlight in their faces except my two years old son. I guess I was taking video when people were less suspecting.
Pana has a spotlight mode that neutralizes any additional brightness created by a spotlight. It may defeat the purpose of using a spotlight though.

Tommy Haupfear January 18th, 2004 12:18 PM

I'll use an on-camera light when in a pinch but I'm not a big fan of the "deer in headlights" look. I use a 3w that runs off the camera battery and a very cheap 20w that uses spare camcorder batteries.

Quote:

I could not wait for 3CCD pana cams. I ended up buying pana 852 from B&H.
I guess you're referring to the upcoming GS120 and GS200?

Fred Alberni January 18th, 2004 01:19 PM

I bought the 20W Bescor light from B&H. It's battery is big and bulky. The light can swivel up and down. The light is nice and smooth and widespread and is not spotty. However, the battery lasts no more than 15 to 20 minutes. For about $30, you might want to carry it your camera bag for those situations that really require additional light. BTW, I don't think the shoe on the DV852 and most other Pana models are hot. You can't get a 3W light and run it off the main battery.

Kaushik Mukhopadhaya January 18th, 2004 04:03 PM

<<<I guess you're referring to the upcoming GS120 and GS200? -->>>
No, I was thinking of GS100K w/ English manual.

So your GS100K has hot shoe, right?

Kaushik Mukhopadhaya January 18th, 2004 04:09 PM

<<<BTW, I don't think the shoe on the DV852 and most other Pana models are hot. You can't get a 3W light and run it off the main battery. -->>>

Manual says a stereo microphone can be attached to the accessory shoe. I was hoping that the shoe is hot.

Fred Alberni January 18th, 2004 05:15 PM

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see anything on the shoe to indicate that it is a hot shoe (on the DV852).

I've never used an external mic. But I think you can install one on the shoe and there must be some sort of a short cable on the mic that plugs into the MIC connector on the camcorder.

Kaushik Mukhopadhaya January 18th, 2004 06:17 PM

I found the manual for PV-DLT9. Yes, you can use the light in the hot shoe. I can't post it since it's a pdf file. here is the link:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PVDLT9.PDF

Tommy Haupfear January 18th, 2004 06:46 PM

Yes, the GS100k has a hot shoe but I don't believe the DV852 does. If I recall my Japanese equivalent of the DV852 did have a hot shoe (NV-MX1000). That doesn't make a lot of sense but then again why did they give the DV852 such a small LCD when the Japanese version got a 3.5" LCD.

Which cam is the PV-DLT9?

Kaushik Mukhopadhaya January 18th, 2004 07:34 PM

PV-DLT9 is a video light for Panasonic cams. The link I posted says that this is a video light for PV-DV900 not PV-DV852. Fred and you could be right. 852 may not have a hot shoe after all.

Yow Cheong Hoe January 18th, 2004 08:37 PM

The "spot light" feature is not for cancelling the effeects of spot light, but to expose the image to allow less overall exposure such that the target of the spot light (performers) will be correctly exposed. In spot light situation, on auto exposure, it is inevitable that the subject/performer is over exposed as the carema will average the whole screen, including the pitch black portions.

As for camera lights, try to improve ambient lights and avoid a video light. The 852 is already a good low light performer, try it out with real shoots before getting the video light. And the cone of light will be there, and so will the harsh shadows and long shadows behind the subject.

Dave Schwab January 20th, 2004 08:09 PM

The PV-DLT9 definitely doesn't work with the DV852. I purchased this light just last week to use with my 852 and was out of luck as the light requires a hot shoe, which the 852 does not have.