Which coat for prominence? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:13 AM   #1
Outer Circle

Which coat for prominence?

We have some here that swear the black mamba is best, while others vow the silver is supreme. Which one do you think is best? Black or silver? What a dilemma! A truely perplexing problem for our discerning MX Forum members for sure.

http://www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

From pure engineering aspect, black will heat up more in sunshine, always bad for electronics and batteries.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:34 AM   #3
Major Player

This topic comes up so often it should have it's own category on the forum (just kidding, just kidding .... put the flame throwers down).

In all seriousness, it would appear that the manufacturer's marketing people monitor cam skin color preferences from country to country (and perhaps market-to-market) according to a current interview with JVC reps on camcorderinfo.com.

Looking through the B&H catalog, it appears that the majority of the cams over $3,000 USD are black. However, silver and shades of gray appear popular with the "Lucky Charm" sized cams.

I still think there is an after-market for customizing the exterior of stock camcorders, just like the after-market for customizing auto dash boards and auto interiors. Wonder if there would be a market for a clear exterior body camcorder so that you can see all the internal workings. Also wonder if anyone is customizing camcorders to enhance performance.
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:21 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Quote:
manufacturer's marketing people monitor cam skin color preferences from country to country (and perhaps market-to-market) according to a current interview with JVC reps on camcorderinfo.com.
This puts a big whole in Fred's black is professional theory. For me, both sliver and black suit my skin colour, though I prefer black. But I'm not going to pay pro prices for a black one.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The black one for me! I never put my camera out in the direct sunlight.
Paul Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:28 AM   #6
Regular Crew

From pure engineering aspect, black will heat up more in sunshine, always bad for electronics and batteries.

cant get silver batteries
Lincoln Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 10:28 AM   #7
Wrangler

I'm just glad the GS100 offers a choice in color. Imagine if we all drove silver cars..

Sure mechanically they are the same...
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Black would be my preferred color. Reason. The camera is likely made of plastic and metal. In my opinion plastic silver looks fake.
Ben Wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 04:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Actually, the silver shadow model matches almost exactly the color combinations of my Apple G4 Titanium powerbook. The one you see on people's laps in all of those Apple ads. Looks pretty good sitting next to the powerbook and flanked by the JBL speakers and my Archos AV320. Also looks good hooked up to my hdtv, which is in the same tonal range. Nobody who's seen it has ever remarked that it looks fake or been other than intrigued by it; those who know anything about videocams are taken by its size and capability. Silver shadow owners, unite! You have nothing to apologize for! :)
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 04:37 PM   #10
Major Player

Here's my vote:

http://store.yahoo.com/jsbstash/silentbobcoat.html
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The first thing I do with my other expensive pro tools is to check all is in working order (and not likely to be returned).

Than I spray them with ugly green or orange paint rendering them useless for thieves to sell them on. We never lost (touch wood) a tool that was marked like that.

Will I be brave enough to do it to MX500?
Old January 24th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #12
Outer Circle

When I bought my Laverda 1000, it was green. The first thing I did was have it painted black (spray paint). My BMW is silver, and I haven't gotten around to painting it black yet. However, with a cam, I wouldn't consider the spray paint option.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant