Anyone using Panasonic PV-GS70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using Panasonic PV-GS70

Just saw this camera, looks good on the outside, a 3CCD camera I've seen it for around $700. Just wondering if anyone has or has used one of these and can tell me if they are any good or not. I currently have a GL2 and am looking to get a second camera, but I can't afford a second GL2, but I'd like something sub-$1000 with similar picture quality to the GL2.

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:04 PM   #2
Major Player

This for some reason is not a popular camera. It was the one i was looking to buy until i saw a mx-500 second hand in the paper for very cheap so i bought that instead. however i felt that the gs-70 was a good camera for its price. i don't thing anything could beat it at that price. is still believe the video quality is much similar to the 500 and it is probably even better in low light. The reason for this is not because it picks up more light it is the filters they use or software. it seems that this camera has less noise then the 500 in low lit scenes. this is of course favourable. the only big problem with the camera is the image stabilizer. it is useless and a camera of this size and shape is hard to hold still without it. I wouldn't even bother using the camera unless it is on a tripod. If you don't mind this the by all means it is a reasonable camera but if you need to handhold then buy the 500(953) for a little more and get OIS almost as good as the canons some say better. make sure you read the forums plenty of info and a few good links.

Justin
Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:20 PM   #3
Major Player

The DV953 is your cam. Read the reviews here and here. Read all the posts on this forum. If you want to see some frame grabs and video, go here.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:03 PM   #4
Major Player

I respectfully disagree on the stabilizer of the GS70. I find it very effective despite the small size of the cam, probably because of the shape, orientation and excellent balance of the cam. This cam really feels great and steady on hand (I have regular hand size) The overall image quality is what I find lacking and its AF hunts, but then Pany did not produce the GS70 to compete with its own 953 and GS100.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:45 PM   #5
Wrangler

The GS70 is definitely a nice size but a few more dollars would be better spent on the DV953.

You can compare the image stabilzation and low light performance of the GS70 and DV953 with the dvspot.com reviews linked below.

http://www.dvspot.com/features/

Don't forget about the GS70 replacements that are scheduled for a March release (GS120 and GS200).

Here are some features that are sorely missed (by me) on the GS70 as compared to the DV953.

Optical Image Stabilization
Quality 16:9 mode
Frame mode (same as your GL2)
Individual color and sharpness settings
Zebra stripes and color bars
Manual audio
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant