DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   GS 100k and weather shield (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/20606-gs-100k-weather-shield.html)

Bill Hummel January 30th, 2004 03:01 AM

GS 100k and weather shield

This is my first post on this web site and I have been very interested in info on the Panasonic Gs100k. I am thinking of buying one very soon. Could someone describe to me what the
weather shield that has been mentioned looks like. Can the camera be used in heavy rain with this product. Thanks.

Bill

Allan Rejoso January 30th, 2004 06:57 AM

If you mean the all-weather housing, yes that is safe to use under heavy rain and up to 10m depth of water. It's made of polycarbonate and weighs about 630 grams. Pretty compact and light compared to the one designed for the MX5K/953.

Pany also sells a snow and rain jacket specific to the GS100K. It should be able to protect the cam under light to moderate rain (as long as there is no heavy wind). Looks like a horse saddle to me and it's made of nylon.

Paul Jason January 30th, 2004 07:03 AM

If you are talking about the cloth rain jacket, It is nice. It is a heavy cloth that wraps nicely around the camera and has a place to slip your hand under it so you can hold the camera. It is secured by a threaded post that screws into the bottom of the camera. I guess you could use it in a fair amount of rain. The only thing is the front is open a litte for the lens. A little rain could blow in from that way but I don't think it could get to any of the electric parts. Panasonic does make a hard shell type case that is for underwater use if you wanted to make sure that NO water go to the camera.

Frank Granovski January 30th, 2004 08:38 AM

Quote:

Pany also sells a snow and rain jacket specific to the GS100K
Quote:

If you are talking about the cloth rain jacket....
Paul, I think that Allan meant the one made from plastic. I actually have one, but it's a non-Pana rain-jacket. I believe the one for the MX300 is also a plastic wrap. Correct me if I'm wrong, Allan.

Paul Jason January 30th, 2004 09:28 AM

The snow and rain jacket is the one I have. I didn't see Allan's post when I posted. If I had I would not have posted.
I was just trying to give Bill some helpful information till the pros could get here.

Allan Rejoso January 30th, 2004 10:52 AM

Im talking about the same thing as Paul. It looks like a cloth from the outside but that material is actually nylon.

Tommy Haupfear January 30th, 2004 01:32 PM

Here is a pic of each:

http://panasonic.jp/dvc/gs100k/accessory.html

Bill Hummel January 30th, 2004 04:29 PM

GS100

Thanks for the information. I was concerned about moisture issues with the camcorder because I traveled to Malaysia a couple of times with the matchbook style JVC DV1 and it did not always operate properly because of moisture and humidity issues.

Frank Granovski January 30th, 2004 06:37 PM

Right, it's nylon---oops. That's the one I meant. Paul, when you mentioned, "cloth," I was scratching my head. but I guess it does look like cloth. :-))

Paul Jason January 30th, 2004 08:20 PM

Now I know what it's made of. Hopefully I'll remember the next time someone ask.

Yow Cheong Hoe January 31st, 2004 10:42 AM

Re: GS100

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Hummel : Thanks for the information. I was concerned about moisture issues with the camcorder because I traveled to Malaysia a couple of times with the matchbook style JVC DV1 and it did not always operate properly because of moisture and humidity issues. -->>>

That must have been either the rain-forests or quite some years ago. It's hot and dry and absolutely dusty nowadays, especially near the cities.

But when I was in Mulu (Sarawak, East Malaysia), the forest humidity in the morning after a rainy night was too much, and my MX350 locked up. Other than that, I have never faced moisture lock-up. Not even in the limestone caves at Mulu, where the water drips incessantly.

But a rain shield is good. Idea: screw a VERY large Ziploc bag onto the lens with another UV filter (sacrificial). The opening should be at the back of the camera, where you can stick you hand in to hold the cam and activate the controls. If it gets really wet, you may even apply a rubber band on your wrist to keep the water out. If the Ziploc bag is not transparent enough, just cut a hole when the filter is applied. Instead of a UV, you may try a large rubber hood, which will keep the water away.

Bogdan Vaglarov January 31st, 2004 06:59 PM

I don't know about Malaysia but even in Japan at humid or rainy day you might have 'humidity' problem with GS100.

Last time I had it in my room the hygrometer was showing 82% - just 2% above the spec.

It may vary from cam to cam though. If you are lucky enough you might not need any 'covers'.
But if you intend to go to very humid places the all weather pack is a safe bet I think.