beware of low batt with DV953(or any other cams) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 11th, 2004, 11:35 PM   #1
Major Player

beware of low batt with DV953(or any other cams)

Keep an eye on your battery level. I was shooting some snowboarding and noticed some serious artifacting in the trees ruining the images I recorded, then the focus stoped, 15 min later the battery was dead.

I believe my experience was due to the extreme cold(20F) but just so you guys know, if you are doing a shoot and your battery says you have 25% left...You dont have 25% you actually have alot less because it will ruin any footage you are shooting.

I keep all batteries at least 50% full when shooting now.

Just thought you might want to know./
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #2
Outer Circle

Yes, it's a good idea to charge your batteries beforehand; and cold weather will shorten the running time of the batteries. That's why I always bring 2 or 3 fully charged batteries with me when going to shoot---and my battery charger with cable to plug the cam into a wall socket (with a surge protector in-between). :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: beware of low batt with DV953(or any other cams)

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : Keep an eye on your battery level. I was shooting some snowboarding and noticed some serious artifacting in the trees ruining the images I recorded, then the focus stoped, 15 min later the battery was dead.

-->>>

Is it really due to low battery or that the mechnisms froze? When my batteries run low, everything stopped at the same time. I have shot to the last bit of juice quite a few times. However, I wouldn't really know, as the only snow I get here is in the fridge. :-)
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:31 AM   #4
Major Player

yes thats what i would have thought. The cameras now days have suitable metering that they know what voltage the camera is running at. The camera will cut out as soon as it goes under that voltage. i would suggest that is a physical problem rather than and electrical problem well at least not due to the battery. there might be artifacts because the ccd probably doesn't work to well at that temp i don't know. I too only see ice in the freezer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant