Tommy, you got to give us more feedback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old February 16th, 2004, 03:35 AM   #1
Outer Circle

Tommy, you got to give us more feedback

Tommy, you got to give us more GS100 feedback, now that you've had your cam for a couple of months.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #2
Major Player

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

I had the cam for about 5 months. I shot two shorts with it. I used in exclusively in 30fps cinema mode, the 16x9 sqeeze.

I like the cam a lot. Most of the menu options are for the still picture ability, which I never use with a vid cam. So, if you can learn 20% of the menu (which anyone can) you can shoot with it.

It's too small to be taken seriously on a shoot. I had to "sell" the cam to my actors LOL...I did not get the xlr attachment which would have improved audio. I did a lot of audio work in post.

For 1k or whatever it's selling for, hard to beat. But there are many cool things coming down the pike. I think for film pros, just get the dvx100a. For travelers, it's a great cam that fits away very neatly in a small pack.

Hope this helps ya'll...

keep shooting!

Michael Struthers
www.buzzdigital.com
Michael Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

which shorts did you shoot with the gs100?
Langston Sessoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 09:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Frank, if Tommy didn't like the 100k, he would be telling you by now what he's eyeing as a replacement. Instead, all I've seen is him telling people how nice it is to have something small enough to take on trips that shoots in frame and pro-cinema mode. Even low light issues don't bother him, because, as you once told me, one shouldn't shoot in low light, one should add light. So give it up, Frank. Just bite the bullet and get one.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #5
Major Player

:-)
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #6
Wrangler

Sorry for the lack of love lately.

All squenched up in an apartment with a pregnant wife and a 2 year old have really zapped my energy levels of late. We are in the counter offer phase on what will hopefully be our next house. The good news is that the house has a finished basement (aka studio)!

The GS100 has been a blast playing back on TV and I have some new frames/clips that I wish to share with you guys. Hopefully Guy, my next state neighbor, will let me upload a few to his groovy website.

I've had no complaints on the GS100 other than trying to keep the glossy LCD side panel clean. Those micro grooves are murder! Its a well built cam with the features I wanted.

It'll be a low down dirty shame if this cam is not brought to N.A. but at least we have the DV953!

BTW - I have two Japanese friends at work and I have not had to use their expertise even once with all the great translated documentation found on this forum!

More to come....
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #7
Outer Circle

Oh? So it's rather easy getting used to the menus. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #8
Major Player

Tommy,
It's been a loooong time but I distinctly remember being in your situation. My empathy to you and your wife! But, this too shall pass. Exciting times!!

Quote:
The GS100 has been a blast playing back on TV and I have some new frames/clips that I wish to share with you guys. Hopefully Guy, my next state neighbor, will let me upload a few to his groovy website.
Just say the word and you'll have your own album to post in at your leisure. If you register, that'll make it easier for me to set your permissions so you can control what you want to do with the album. Michael Wisniewski is also interested in posting some Optura Xi clips and grabs when he returns from vacation (lucky dog!). I know you also have some from your previous cam, so maybe we can get some good, real-world comparisons up for our forum compatriots. I'm really interested in your pro-cinema mode, for example.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #9
Major Player

Yeah, I hate that glossy part of the body. Pany actually anticipated that issue and in fact included a recommended cleaning procedure of that body part in the instruction manual, with matching illustration too..wipe vertically along the direction of the micro grooves (LOL).
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #10
Major Player

which one's easier to keep clean, silver or black?
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #11
Major Player

same problem Tavis. the silver has micro grooves on the LCD side panel too that easily trap dirt, but light colored dusts and fibers should be less visible in a silver.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 02:33 AM   #12
Outer Circle

Quote:
Just bite the bullet and get one.
I was almost there last week, but I decided to beef up my gear instead.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant