DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Frame mode 16:9 frame grabs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/21782-frame-mode-16-9-frame-grabs.html)

Guy Bruner February 22nd, 2004 05:55 PM

Frame mode 16:9 frame grabs

I have posted a new album on my website of 16:9 frame mode frame grabs from videos I took today in North Georgia around Woodstock, Elijay and Amicolola Falls.

Frank Granovski February 23rd, 2004 03:44 AM

Thanks, Guy. I'll take a look as soon as I get a chance (and not with my old computer and slow connection).

John Gaspain February 23rd, 2004 04:18 AM

whats with the color?

it looks like -20% saturation?

Richard Troost February 23rd, 2004 04:20 AM

Guy,

They look nice - the frame grabs- , but, like mine a little blue.
I bought the warm cards to overcome that blue, but it isn't alway's practical to use. (Balancing on two stones in a stream, trying to hold a warmcard in front of your mx500.) So I started to put them trough the "one step correction" of Paint shop 8 which made them look much better.

I do like to see pictures taken in the country of other MX500/DV953 owners. And your pictures are quit sharp, sharper than mine so far. My old Finepix 1300 pictures look sharper, but I need to do some more practicing I think. And your pictures are yust frame grabs!
When I get it right I will put on some pictures from my surroundings taken with the MX500 of course.

Guy Bruner February 23rd, 2004 06:08 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : whats with the color?

it looks like -20% saturation? -->>>

It was a bright day and most everything is still in winter mode here. Everything is a little flat. I didn't do anything to enhance the grabs so the gamma is exactly like the video (sorta videoy). I didn't use a white balance card so auto set the WB. I thought most of the color was pretty close except for the Sixes Mill shots which were bluer than real life.

I shot most of the video with Tiffen UV and .6 ND filters.

Guy Bruner February 23rd, 2004 06:18 PM

Ok, I have posted a few comparison pix that I took with a Fuji Finepix 602Z so folks can see what these DV953 872x480 frame grabs look like when compared to a 2048x1536 still camera. Actually, I like taking frame grabs from a DV widescreen video. When you print them on 4x6" paper, they fit really nicely.

Richard Troost February 24th, 2004 01:49 PM

Guy,

I was a bit too fast, sorry. Your sixes_mill and 02 and 3 are a bit blue, but, also your finepix Multifalls. It looks like a kind of winter blue, and it looks like its winter indeed, no leaves on the trees. But I think I know why that blue shows

I was talking some pictures with the mx500 this morning in the kitchen from the children , sometimes the sun came through, sometimes the sky went allmost black. When I had pour lights, the pictures had a blue tone, when the sun shined, they look fine.

I haven't printed one yet, but, I went to the carnaval this afternoon with the mx500 (The weather was so bad the last days I had left it home) and I took a picture, first on the card, then on tape. The one on tape seems sharper on my monitor than the 2048x1496

I see that blue on video when the light is changing also. With my editting software ( Liquid edition) I can change the look easy to something I almost like (the blue turns into a kind of white, so the shot looks "white" instead of blue.) but I still want to find a way to overcome this on shooting.

I put some pictures on my homepage as soon as I have room again, now it's filled with pictures from the carnaval taking with my fuji finepix 1300.

(forgive me my English, I'm finetuning that also...)

Guy Bruner February 24th, 2004 02:26 PM

Richard,
I posted the blue Finepix photo deliberately. It and the blue 953 photos are due to poor white balance. Usually the cameras do a good job in automatic of setting white balance, but it is sometimes hard to tell when you are outside and the sun is glaring down on your LCD whether the balance is right or not. When I had camcorders with black & white viewfinders, you could not see this. I have a really gross VHS tape that I shot 20 years ago that didn't get straightened out until I turned the camcorder off and back on (B&W viewfinder). Sometimes you can see it on the color viewfinders.

Probably the best thing to do is to manually white balance before every shot from power up of the camcorder using a white card that is fully illuminated with the primary light source. I did not do that with these clips. The camera got it right most of the time and I wasn't shooting anything critical. It can be corrected in post but that is no excuse for not doing it right in the beginning.

Richard Troost February 27th, 2004 01:47 PM

Call me stupid, but, I always wondered about that blinking -sometimes steady- white spot in the viewfinder when I was making pictures. I did what Guy also did ones, I opened the manual. That opened a brave new world :<))

Now I know why my pictures are blue and/or not sharp!!
But, do you have also trouble getting a green spot on a moving object ? It's almost impossible for me to take a picture -one with the spot green I mean- of my children when they are playing in the backyard. Anybody an advise ?