DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   GS70 or GS50 compared to TRV50 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/21889-gs70-gs50-compared-trv50.html)

Ron Evans February 24th, 2004 05:45 PM

GS70 or GS50 compared to TRV50

I have heard much about the low light perfromance and image stabilizer performance on the GS50/70 but is there anyone who has personal experience of either of these camercorders and TRV50 vintage Sony's. I am looking for a lower cost camcorder to have as a companion to an AGDVC30( when they come out ) which will also be used to playback non Sony tapes for editing. I have looked at the GS50 but for just a little more the GS70 looks attractive. Currently own Sony PC10, TRV50 and DHR1000 deck. I rent AGDVC200 and DVX100 occasionally and thus have Panasonic tapes that I do not like to put in my Sony's since they cause all sorts of cleaning problems.

Thanks,
Ron

Frank Granovski February 24th, 2004 08:02 PM

You already own a DVC30? I heard they won't be out until March 4th, 2004. A DVC80 might best match DVC30 footage. Regarding tapes, don't mix them.

Ron Evans February 24th, 2004 08:28 PM

No I don't own a DVC30 but I am planning to when they come out. Yes I have personal experience of mixing tapes. When I first got my SOny DHR1000 I played back a Panasonic tape I had recorded in a rented VX1000. It immediatly locked up the DHR1000 that had to go back to Sony!!! That is why I want a another camcorder that isn't too expensive since most of my friends do not use Sony tape but would like me to use in some of our skiing and sailing videos. It would be easier if I had a camcoder to use for compatibility and since I intend getting a DVC30 when they come out would give me a set to use with tapes other than SOny.

Ron

Tom Kronberg February 24th, 2004 09:24 PM

I own a GS70 and I think it's a very nice little three chip camcorder. Anything specific you need to know?

Frank Granovski February 24th, 2004 09:34 PM

You can use any miniDV cam to use as a deck.

Ron Evans February 25th, 2004 07:05 AM

Tom,
Concerns are for low light and EIS. I don't expect it to see in the dark just how it compares with a typical Sony( my TRV50 is not as good as the much older PC10 for example but has much less video noise), does it get grainy or loose colour? Does the EIS work in good light or just in low light?
Frank
IF I am going to get another cam for a deck I would like it have some value as a camcorder.

Ron

Yow Cheong Hoe February 25th, 2004 10:17 AM

My opinion on Panasonic vs Sony:

Sony consumer cams are grainy, washed out colours and poor autofocus.

Panasonic consumer cams are pretty nice in colour, less grainy and good autofocus.

At prosumer, they are both OK, but I like the warmer colours on Panasonic and also the much lower price.

When I say autofocus, I mean that the cam focuses fast enough, and yet not sudden or jerky. Sony cams to date has a slow refocus and often can't decide fore or background, tends to hunt.