DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Just bought a dv852! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/22070-just-bought-dv852.html)

Adam VanScoyoc February 27th, 2004 01:57 PM

Just bought a dv852!

Ok, I've been waiting for a year and a half for this tax refund so I could finally go digital. I was originally going to get a Canon gl2, then decided to do a little research and get something less expensive. After reading dvinfo, I chose the Panasonic dv953. About three weeks ago, my wife and I were discussing finances and I started feeling guilty about spending a thousand dollars on a camera so I started doing a little more research and decided on the 852. I really had my heart set on a 3ccd model, but after reading some good things about the 852, I decided to go for it. It will save me over $300 from the 953 and has optical image stabilization and other features that the lower end 3chip Panys don't have (and great low light recording from what I understand)

My tax refund was electronically entered into my bank this morning and I already bought the camera ($629) and a play station 2 (sorry, but that was for the whole family).

I hope this thing takes nicer video than my old sony hi-8.

Tate

Samuel Raj February 27th, 2004 03:52 PM

Where did u buy? B&H no more stocks this unit. Did u buy online or local?

Adam VanScoyoc February 27th, 2004 04:15 PM

Hi,
Unfortunately I was too late to buy from B & H. Someone mentioned pcvideoonline, they had it for $579 or something but I was afraid to order through them because of their terrible ratings on resellerratings.com. I got mine from Smartbargains.com. at $629.00. Their ratings weren't all great, but they didn't have that many and the ones that were very dissatisfied were related to shipping. one even said it was shipped but they never received it. That sounded more like a shipping problem to me. Super saver Shipping was only $4.95. I received an email that said it may take 7 to 10 business days to receive it. I'll keep you guys informed. A week ago the webpage said there were 19 left. Now there are 10. They're going fast.

I noticed the thread earlier about a rectangular lens hood. B & H has the Hama for $16.99. Someone even posted a picture of one installed on their dv953. I think that looks great! Do we know for sure if it will fit on the 852? If anyone has one installed I would love to see a picture of it. I already got a 43-55mm step up ring off of ebay so I could use some of my filters from my slr.

I'm excited, can you tell?

Frank Granovski February 27th, 2004 04:39 PM

I'm jealous. :-))

Yow Cheong Hoe February 28th, 2004 02:17 AM

You won't regret it if it's for home videos, about the best thing that ever existed!

For more 'pro' application, you might need some manual controls that the 852 lacks, but that me telling your future...

You'll enjoy the cam, I did, and for a year. (My ex-MX8 is the PAL model of the 852).

Adam VanScoyoc March 1st, 2004 05:56 PM

I'll just be using it to make goofy short films for the entertainment of friends, family and more recently to post on triggerstreet and maybe different online sites. So far I've been using the hi-8 so this has to be an improvement.

I received an email from smartbargains stating that my camera was shipped today. One step closer...

Oh yeah, I checked their site tonight and it said there were only 7 left, so if anyone else wants one, better hurry.

Chuck Logsdon March 1st, 2004 08:24 PM

I got number 8. ;-)

<<<-- Oh yeah, I checked their site tonight and it said there were only 7 left, so if anyone else wants one, better hurry. -->>>

Thanks for posting your find here. I had been looking for a DV852 and had not been able to find one.

This will be my first camcorder in about 10 years. I've had two Canon 8mm models before this one.

Frank Granovski March 1st, 2004 08:58 PM

So, http://www.smartbargains.com has 7 left at $629 US? I wonder how long that will last. :-))

Aykut Ozen March 1st, 2004 10:42 PM

dv852 for sale

I'm selling mine if anyone interested for $570.it's less than a month old...i will upgrade to the new AG-DVC30...Brand new condition with Usa warranty,original box,manual everything plus 43mm Tiffen UV filter...

check the link for more info

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=22233

Frank Granovski March 2nd, 2004 12:54 AM

You'll miss the "low light" with the DVC30, I'm sure. I think that the DVC80 will be the better buy over the DVC30, except that the 30 has the night thing and frame mode.

Adam VanScoyoc March 3rd, 2004 05:36 PM

WoooHoooo!

Just got my camera today!
I ordered it on Friday. Got an email saying it was shipped on monday and received it Wednesday. Not bad for $4.95 "super saver" shipping that was supposed to take 7-10 business days after it was shipped! I don't understand why they shipped it ups instead of usps, but I'm not complaining.

I just got home from work and ripped open the package. that's as far as I've gotten. First impression- it's alot smaller than I expected! It makes my sony trv58 hi-8 look kind of big.

Well, I'm going to go play with it.

... The camera that is. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Chuck Logsdon March 3rd, 2004 07:59 PM

Good news, Adam. I just got my email notice a few minutes ago from smartbargains that my dv852 shipped today. But, I paid the extra $12 for two day air.

BTW, did smartbargains charge you state tax? They did me. I am in NC, but the UPS tracking says the order was picked up in OH.

P.S. A little irony...I ordered the DV852 from smartbargains on Monday afternoon. As they warned, it would take up to two days to ship. (It did.) So, I will get it on this Friday.

However, on Monday night, I ordered a bunch of tapes from tape-resources. I picked the supersaver shipping. They shipped on Tuesday and I got it today.

Frank Granovski March 3rd, 2004 09:52 PM

Adam, Chuck, nice catch! The PV-DV852 sold for twice that a couple of years ago.

Adam VanScoyoc March 3rd, 2004 11:28 PM

Hey Chuck,

I looked at Smartbargains and noticed at the bottom of the totals when you are in checkout it says tax will be charged to ma, nc, and ky residents.

I got to mess with the camera a little tonight and am loving it so far. it's dark out now, so I tested it in low light indoors and it is doing pretty good. I already did a side by side comparison with my hi-8 and noticed that the picture was clearer with a lot less noise, even in auto mode. Haven't tried manually adjusting it yet.
I can't wait to see what this puppy will look like outdoors in the sun!

When I first tried capturing video, I kept getting colored blocks show up for a single frame now and then. I changed a setting in vegas- unchecked enable dv device, or something like that, and captured again and the blocks weren't there. Don't know if that was the problem or just a coincidence that it happened to work.

My real problem is- all the video I've captured with my analog card is not recognized! I have a short video I was getting ready to release on the internet, but none of the video will work now. It's an unrecognized format. What the heck? Is there any way to get this back? I didn't think it mattered how it was captured, I mean, it worked fine before. Plus I have a bunch of clips on my hard drive from other films I was working on. Can anyone help?

Frank Granovski March 3rd, 2004 11:37 PM

Quote:

I kept getting colored blocks show up for a single frame now and then.
Do you get this during playback with the cam? If so, run a tape cleaner through it:

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm