Allan, what's happening in Japan? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:49 PM   #1
Outer Circle

Allan, what's happening in Japan?

Any news yet about whether GS100 production will resume? Or news about a replacement model? What are the dealers saying?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Frank,

PJ seems out of stock. I actually have 1 black mamba which the wife forced me to keep (she wants to make sure we'd have one for ourselves) until I find another one (at around the same price I got it).

Stocked-up and sold black mambas during the past 2 weeks more than I ever did during the same period anytime. Tavis just missed out on the last one by a day.

kakaku listed discount shops are nearly sold out too. The cheapest listed price as of this morning is JPY107,000 but that seller does not indicate that he has one on stock (that's the 5th column). The cheapest seller with stock is listed at JPY110,000; that is around JPY10,000 higher than the cheapest price the GS100 was ever listed in kakaku. In some big retailers, of course there are still some silver GS100Ks to be found.

Bottom line is, those who want to get the GS100 now will have to pay more, will have to accept longer delivery period, and most probably settle with the silver.

This situation is temporary. The fact that I can find 50 new and shiny boxes of the MX5000, I expect Pany to resume limited production of the GS100 soon. I think Pany concentrated its assembly lines on the 2 new models coming at the end of this week (but most probably will be available on shelf as early as today). After testing the response of the market on the GS200, availability of the GS100 should become more steady (than it is right now), and hopefully, prices in kakaku will go down to around JPY100,000, and/or the Yen depreciation will continue.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:44 PM   #3
Outer Circle

Thanks for the update, Allan.

Didn't MX3000 production go for 2 years?
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Didn't MX3000 production go for 2 years?

Yes I believe so. Right now, there are at least 2 shelf units I still play with that are being offered at "clearance price". Definitely no head usage but lots of scratches on the body.

It's really a shock why Pany stopped production of the GS100 in 7 months. I felt it was selling well enough. I actually sold a LOT more GS100 than the MX5K. But of course, business is business and Pany would rather make more money by selling new cams that are cheaper to make.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:12 PM   #5
Outer Circle

That's bad news. I've been down this Pana road before, actually, a few times.

In the USA, the PV-DV953 came out in early April. In Canada, it came out sometime in June, as I recall. Didn't the MX5000 come out June 1st or July 1st almost one year prior to the PV-DV953?
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:17 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<...what's happening in Japan?>>

At this very moment, it's sunny and mild. A crow is cawing outside my window. ;)
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Right now it's 9:20 PM, and the crows are in their nests sleeping. I feed them (and the gulls) every morning. In fact, I just took a bunch of "chicken" pictures yesterday. For some reason, they were scared of my camera this time. Must be because I had my pocker lens on it, the 135mm. :-))
Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Maybe it's my fault. ;)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:07 AM   #9
Outer Circle

Hmmm. Could be. But I suggest against offering your services as the forum scape-goat.

Back to the topic..., let's hope that Pana doesn't blow 2004: if the GS100 is going to be no more, then at least, Pana please, give us a worthy replacement, or at least let us know that one is in the works. :-))
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:34 AM   #10
Major Player

My prediction.

The real upgrade to the GS100 will be released in Japan and the US at the same time this summer.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:59 AM   #11
Outer Circle

I always had a feeling that, Rejoso, was a magician's name. ;-) (Finger's crossed.)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant