MX 500 mic shoe too tight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:39 AM   #1
Major Player

MX 500 mic shoe too tight

Client of mine has a Panasonic MX 500 camera. On my advice they've bought a Sennheiser MKE300 mic to use with it. Problem is, the shoe is too tight for the mic's foot, the latter being made of plastic. Any advise?
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #2
Wrangler

Too tight? I don't recall that problem with my past DV953 (NTSC equivalent of MX500) and the MKE300 (see pic below). Have they tried any other mics on the MX500.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...ture%20005.jpg
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Tor,
Is he having problems getting the mic into the shoe, perhaps because of contact with the viewfinder? If so, have him pull the viewfinder out.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #4
Major Player

The plate on the mic holder that's supposed to slide in under the two metal thingies on the camera is too thick - or the two thingies are too low. I'll supply a photo later, but ight now I've got to run somewhere.
Old March 10th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #5
New Boot

(Change the word "thing" into little wheels, thanks to Frank.)

Well, but there are two little wheels that you can turn around. Turn the first as much as possible to above, than the next one you than make some place between the plate and that turn thing. It should fit on the shoe now, and you turn the last little wheelback to secure the mike on the camera.

I've seen a mx500 with a sennheiser on it for sure. I have such a special shoe myself -but then to put up on any microphone I like- and that fits as well when I make some room.

MX500EG, abit IT7 pentium 2,4, 1024MB, 2x80Gb, fx5600, LE 5.5 2x 19"crt.
Richard Troost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Here's the image I promised you:
http://home.hesbynett.no/saltor/_tes...-panasonic.jpg

Has anyone any advise?
Old March 10th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #7
Outer Circle

Thor, I found to have the same problem with my MX300. If it doesn't fit, don't force it! Go to this thread on the "Now Hear This" forum: Finally got my shock-mount. There's one Sennheiser mount that works very well. The lip thing is plastic and slides in easily. To tighten it, I just turn the little wheel.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #8
New Boot

Yes!, I ment the little wheel!, and put in in at the other side, with the vieuwfinder pulled out!. (I mean at the other side as where you put the arrow on the picture.

MX500EG, abit IT7 pentium 2,4, 1024MB, 2x80Gb, fx5600, LE 5.5 2x 19"crt.
Richard Troost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #9
Wrangler

Yeah I noticed that too.

The mic needs to load from the back side of the shoe on the side of the viewfinder (which needs to be pulled back).
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #10
Major Player

I'll try loading from the back. But I don't have the camera here. Can you actually pull the viewfinder back? I know you can tilt it up, but hadn't noticed you could pull it back.
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #11
Major Player

Yup, many new Pany models have flush shoe to give the cam a cooler look, but requires the viewfinder to be pulled all the way back before attaching anything on the shoe (from the back).
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #12
Major Player

Yes, the arrow on the pict pointing from the front of the cam is wrong.

The only way to slide the mic is first to pull out the viewfinder as others are saying. It's also written in the manual - your clients could may be read that part having troubles.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 02:48 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks all around.
I went by the client's place this morning and looked at the camera. Yes, the viewfinder slides back and allows the mic to be installed from the back of the shoe. That solves the problem.

I don't understand why you should need to slide the viewfinder back - unless you're Pinocchio. It can't be made just to accomodate the mic shoe? I mean, it would be easier to turn the shoe 180 degrees. And when you for whatever reason create a function like that (I'm addressing Panasonic now) you should design it so that it becomes apparent, and not cause your customers embarrassment having to run around asking questions about such basic matters - EVEN if it is mentioned in the manual (and I don't know if it is).

If I could have back the hours I've wasted because of poorly designed gadgets - I could have written a book about it. But at least I've been given one more reason to love my Sony TRV 950.
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:19 AM   #14
Outer Circle

Quote:
But at least I've been given one more reason to love my Sony TRV 950
If you like, we could turn this thread into a MX500 verses TRV950 thread; and I can think of 5 things which makes the MX500 a better cam. But if you give me a bit more time, I could think of a few more things. Then again, if someone would give me a TRV950, I would be happy. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:34 AM   #15
Major Player

No, thank you. There are more than enough threads of that kind.
Actually the MX 500 seems to produce good video, which is the most important thing. I'll recommend it heartily to all the Pinocchios I know.
Tor Salomonsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant