DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Huge error, with gain... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/22711-huge-error-gain.html)

Marco Mezzalana March 10th, 2004 02:11 PM

Huge error, with gain...

hi,
I've the mx500, and I start shot first serious video. I thought it's better don't use gain to avoid grain. So when I shoted a wedding in a church a set iris to OPEN. Today I try, with vegas, a color correction to conform my shot with my firm xl1's shot....it'was impossible.
The xl1's shot with low light are perfect (accordly to it's price!!!)
Ther's a huge difference beetween the two cameras, I hoped conform the shot via software but it was false hope.

I think my first error was shooting without gain, but how much gain I have to use before the grain appears?
I think it's better use gain then correct brightness via software...

So how about gain in mx500?

Guy Bruner March 10th, 2004 02:43 PM

Marco,
Depending on what lens was used, the XL1S is rated at 2 lux. That is 3-4 F/stops faster (+18 db gain or more) than the MX500. In dim light (15 lux) the MX500 picture will be very dark and have about 50% contrast while the XL1's picture will look like a brightly lit room. It will be very hard to get a comparative picture out of the MX500 in low light as compared to the XL1. Anyway, you should use all the gain available in low light, up to 18 dB in manual, to give you the best picture you can get with the MX500.

Bogdan Vaglarov March 10th, 2004 07:30 PM

9dB is good compromise of brightnes and grain I think.

On GS100 I would recomend even 12dB but it has better noise reduction.

One think to consider if you want to sinc your both cams and don't want to relly on the software totally is to make the canon shot a stop darker.

In any case it's better to experiment first and then go for the real shot. Hope you can solve your problems.

Marco Mezzalana March 11th, 2004 03:52 AM

Yes, In future I will experiment some shot in the location, to test camera behavior...
This time I'will preserve only xl1's shot, next time I will try use mx500 with gain, but I think xl1s has no rival in low light shooting, well, thank for suggest and comprension sigh!!!

Frank Granovski March 11th, 2004 04:01 AM

The MX500 is an excellent cam, in my opinion, especially for its price, but I would never use this cam for weddings, unless there is going to be plenty of light.

Marco Mezzalana March 11th, 2004 06:06 AM

yes I think use it only for short film (so you can controls the light), or in outside (sun light!!!)

Yes it's an excellent cam...

Adrian Douglas March 11th, 2004 06:22 AM

Marco,

Try only using the MX500 for wide shots and keep the XL1 for the close-ups. As the MX500 has a variable aperture lens when you zoom the iris will stop down which will darken the shot. Using thhe wide end of the lens will allow you to use the fastest aperture to let in more light The XL1 has a similar set-up but as you know is better in low light. Also try framing your shots to avoid black area as much as possible as that is where the noise will be most noticeable.

Marco Mezzalana March 11th, 2004 07:07 AM

Yes,
I think it's better My firm and its xl1 shot, and me and my P4 3,00 ghz edit video, and make Dvd or vhs...me and my mx500 do something else...with a lot of light!!!!