DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Firewire (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/22751-firewire.html)

Robert Sato March 11th, 2004 09:56 AM

Firewire

For Firewire cable to connect GS100 to PC what exact pinout do I need? I should've gotten the VW-CD1 accessory but didn't. When to CompUSA & there were 4pin & 6pin ...

Thanks,
Robert

Guy Bruner March 11th, 2004 01:07 PM

You will need a 6 pin (large connector on the PC) to 4 pin (small connector on the camcorder). This is provided you have a standard firewire card in your PC. Most of them come with large connectors. Laptops have 4 pin connectors. So, if you have a laptop or plan to capture/edit on a laptop or to transfer video from one DV cam to another, you should also get a dual 4 pin.

Robert Sato March 11th, 2004 01:26 PM

Thank you Guy!

I'm gonna head out & get 4-4 & 4-6 since I have both laptop & desktop to play with.

Robert

Tommy Haupfear March 11th, 2004 04:44 PM

Here is a pic to compliment Guy's informative post.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...5/IEEE1394.jpg

Oddly enough I've seen Dell notebooks lately that have 6pin connections.

Robert Sato March 11th, 2004 07:55 PM

Thanks Tommy.

Funny shopping story ... went to CompUSA & picked up the cables. Total for 2 cables came up to $75.

Got home & got on the 'net ... exact cables came to a total of $28 . Wow, I can wait for the cables.

Robert

Tommy Haupfear March 11th, 2004 08:08 PM

I know what you mean.

Using the Pricewatch.com search engine I found a deal that has a firewire PCI card, firewire cable, and even editing software for $9.99.

Robert Sato March 19th, 2004 05:21 PM

Just a follow up. Seems like the only time I get to spend time with the gs100 is only on weekends :-(

Got the Belkin 4pin-4pin fireware cable ($12.99 shipped from accupc; they were out-of-stock on 4pin-6pin).

For me some interesting findings on connecting to my XPPro laptop via firewaire or the USB cable included w/the gs100 kit.

USB: After installing the USB driver from the CD included in gs100, the gs100 works well as webcam using AIM. Can't see any picture improvement over my Logitec webcam ... guessing it the encoding algorithm of AIM that can't take advantage of the resolution.

Firewire: Somehow doesn't work as webacam when using firewire connection even though it pops up a message to put the gs100 in webcam mode. BUT works great as realtime capture (record mode) of Windoze Movie Maker.

Hope I can have more play time with the gs100 :-)

Robert

Rick Tugman March 21st, 2004 06:00 PM

Robert:

Beware of cheap cables - glad you got the Belkin cables. I had a firewire cable that I purchased at Costco some years ago. It went bad on me and believe me, it was not mishandled. One minute it worked and the next it didn't.

I have been buying Belkin cables because they come with a lifetime warranty. The warranty is probably good as long as the company is in business :-) But I think you did the right thing getting the Belkin cables.

Good luck with your GS100.

Bogdan Vaglarov March 21st, 2004 07:34 PM

Robert,
USB is intended for Web cam and/or Still pictures download from the SD card.

Use the Firewire connection to capture DV (.avi) raw video to your hard drive. You better do that on your desktop (asume your HDD is bigger than the laptop one).

You will need third party editing software (not the one wich came with the cam). Movie maker 2 for Win XP (download from the MS homepage) should be good to get started (it's free).
Than you edit your footage (cut, erase unwanted, add transitions, titles, etc.) and render to MPEG2 for DVD-R recording. Watch on your DVD player.
Cheers, Bogdan

Robert Sato March 23rd, 2004 05:00 PM

Bogdan,

Thanks for the clarification. Bummer on the Firewire & webcam. I was able to use Vistura as a webcam through the Firewire on my Dad's eMac when in Japan so I thought Windoze will have the same capability on their Firewire driver.

I checked out the Movie Maker 2 ... seems like a good start for me to delve head first into DV editing. I was already looking at Vegas but now I'm wondering if that is too much for a beginner? Only editing experience I have is the Pinnacle line thus far (Hi8 footage). Studio200 & Sutdio400.

Robert