Specs, please. I can't wait. - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old April 16th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #61
Outer Circle

I guess then next week is THE week for all announcements? Like FULL GS400 specs released? The wait is over?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #62
Major Player

hmm here are "different" specs of the same model but from Pana-ES
http://www.panasonic.es/fichamod.asp...demod=NV-GS400
George Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #63
Major Player

Hmmm, that says the front thread is 43mm but the zoom is only 10X??? Which differs from Frank's picture and from other (British) postings. I don't think anyone knows what features this camera is going to have...including Panasonic! :-(( The "picture" they are supplying is really just an artist's rendering. Looks more like an avatar than a camcorder.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #64
Outer Circle

The 2 pics I posted were taken by Pana Technical; the few specs I posted were from Pana Technical. Hopefully there'll be more specs on route, but I don't think the GS400 is a completed product yet, or at least it wasn't when I posted that info. I should be hearing more about this cam later today or in the next few days. Pana for some reason does have this one tightly under wraps; and I don't know why.
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #65
Major Player

hmm here are "different" specs of the same model but from Pana-ES
http://www.panasonic.es/fichamod.as...odemod=NV-GS400

It also mentions the CCD being megapixel 1/6" x 3, with 800K effective. Well, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this GS400 turns out to be simply a PAL version of the great GS100. So what's going to be released in Japan then?

Even the lens focal range is identical to that of GS100 and MX5K.

Probably trivial but the site mentions the built-in flash to be type GN-05. Just for reference, the GS100K and MX5K use type GN-06 while the new GS200 uses type GN5.5

On top of the speculations, could be lots of typographical errors :-))
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #66
Major Player

Allan,
That link you posted comes up 404. Anyway, I don't think anyone has really been given the real specs for this GS400 version. Who knows, maybe it'll be a miniDVC30???
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #67
Major Player

sorry that I posted the Spanish Pana disinformation.
the specs before were usually taken from more than onse site, and from only sites that were not posting conflicting specs.
(there are few of those, on of them Pana-es)
looks like the Pana-es have no clue what cam is soming, but the rest of the specs from Russia, UK , BE and others point only to the specs I posted before.
but who knows... until I read the specs in my manual at home after I buy it it will never be sure =)
Old April 19th, 2004, 12:42 AM   #68
Outer Circle

Here's a bit of GS400 info.

http://www.grandeye.com.hk/etx/900/index.html

10X, same CCDs as the MX5 and GS100. Nothing about the widescreen---whether is MX5 widescreen or the better GS100 widescreen.

(1/6" CCDs)

Furthermore, it won't be out until July sometime, Down-Under.
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:14 AM   #69
Major Player

Frank that info you just posted is False!
the info on that page was taken from from Pana-es (there's even a link from that page to the specs on pana-es)
and this is the Only web-page (pana-es) that states those specs.
(which do not make sense by the way, you can't have 4Mega and only 800K pixels IMHO)
anyway... if I had to bet on something, I would stick to the specs posted before =)
(1Megapixel 3CCD etc...)
Old April 19th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Trying to disect and reverse engineer "conflicting" technical specifications is becoming to be an art as well as a science here at dvinfo. :)

I just can't see how the 2 in 12X can be mistyped to be a "0" and come up with a 10X. O and 2 are in almost opposite sides of the keyboard. A probable explanation would be the execution of a "cut and Paste" operation from a pre-existing tech spec of another product perhaps and no proofreading was done on the released specs.

Or are all these sometimes conflicting specs just part of a grander conspiracy to tickle the brain cells of the forum members into coming up with a pre-production list of user defined features which can still be included in the final product? hehe :)
Joby Arandela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #71
Major Player

=) yeah... it's like cracking the world ;-)

I think thats was the result of incomplete info sent by Pana-headquarters, and they used the old specs (maybe of NV500) and edited-in the available info.

looks like Pana has sent incomplete specs to all international Panas, but seems like each time they send different part of the specs. Thats how we ended up in that mess, but yet being able to put things togather a single spec at a time.. =)

To have a conspiracy the Pana headquarters had to be having smart policy and full control... but that does not seem to be the case =) just look at how they waste the whole potential of the Canadian market, and practically given it away to Canon.
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #72
Outer Circle

Quote:
sorry that I posted the Spanish Pana disinformation.
That's all right.
Quote:
To have a conspiracy the Pana headquarters had to be having smart policy and full control...but that does not seem to be the case =) just look at how they waste the whole potential of the Canadian market, and practically given it away to Canon.
Good Area 51 material, but I kind of agree with you. :-))
Old April 20th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Hi Frank,

Just like you have, I tried sleuthing around asking for specs or CCD and lens sizes but came up empty handed. Hope you dont imind (or Pany too) if I place snippets of communication in here?

Please advise.

As an example, here's a snippet from what I received sometime this week:

=======Start of Snippet=======
"I can see that you live in the US, and therefore I have to warn you that NV-GS400 is a European version, with PAL TV system, so it will not work properly in the US, where you use NTSC TV system. We suggest that you visit the US web site; www.panasonic.com.

NV-GS400 will not be introduced before July/ August in the Nordic countries.

Med vennlig hilsen / Best Regards

Panasonic Norge
Branch of Panasonic Nordic AB"

=======End of Snippet=========

I got more snippets if you think it's okay to share :)
Joby Arandela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #74
Outer Circle

That's funny. Sure, more "snippets" please. Can't hurt. The snippets are information, afterall. :-))

PS: Maybe tell Pana over the pond you want NV-GS400 info because you what PAL because it has more lines. Don't forget to post their answer here. :-))
Old April 20th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Okay then! Don't be disappointed as I did come out empty handed.

here's another one:
=======Start of Snippet=======
Thank you for your visit on our homepage and your interest in our products.

Unfortunately, we are not doing any export business and therefore, we do not have leafflets in foreign languages.

For further information we kindly ask you to contact Panasonic in New Jersey. The address is as follows:

Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company
1 Panasonic Way
Secaucus, NJ 07094
USA

Phone: 201-348-7000
Fax:201-348-7016

Yours faithfully,

Panasonic Deutschland GmbH

-Marketing Support-
=======End of Snippet=========

More to come!
Joby Arandela is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant