Specs, please. I can't wait. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 20th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #1
Outer Circle

Specs, please. I can't wait.

I want a crystal engine and a 12X Leica lens and baked with black mamba finish on my MX400, thank you. Oh, and the CCDs have got to be big with lots and lots of video effective pixels. Did I miss anything?

It's Spring and I even saw a robin today. Here I have 2, Pana GS400 1/2 pics---one bigger than the other---so there's got to be specs out there somewhere. Where's the little birdie? Tweet tweet?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Gimme a black mamba and I won't complain; but I'll settle for some GS4 specs.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #2
Outer Circle

The possible good news is that I may have them tomorrow night, or at least some of them. If anyone comes across any links, with the beef, post them!!
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #3
Outer Circle

This is just what I have so far:
  • 4 mega pixel still picture recording (PAL)
  • mega OIS
  • pro cinema mode
  • high picture quality wide mode
  • multi manual ring
  • air soft grip
  • 12X optical zoom
  • USB 2.0 (HS mode)
  • built-in flash
  • motion video/still picture (1 meg) simultaneous recording
  • MPEG 4 internet mode
So, no beef yet.
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:52 PM   #4
Major Player

does the gs100 have the crystal engine?
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:08 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Yes, the GS100 has the crystal engine. Allan has written about it in some past posts.
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:11 AM   #6
Major Player

i thought so, i just didn't want to try to dig thru a bunch of past posts, thanks Frank.
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Go, Frank! (I think that air soft grip is going to be my favorite advertised attribute of this cam. Almost as good as magic strap on the 100k.) So, no "soft skin" function evident yet? No "smoothing" or "night view" mentioned yet? I'm just wondering if this will be stripped in any way (though I love the 12x zoom) vis-a-vis the 100k rather than improved on. I hope not.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 01:36 AM   #8
Outer Circle

Yes indeed, the "air soft grip" sounds comfy. I hate the hard strap on my DVL9500s---hopefully the GS400 will come with a stabilizer too. -))

Just to add, does the 12X optical zoom require a larger lens housing that the 10X GS? Oh, oh. That could mean a slim long body style.
Old March 21st, 2004, 06:02 PM   #9
Major Player

Since the release of the GS100, the Crystal Engine has become a standard feature in Pany's 3CCD consumer cams, but they may call it differently outside Japan.

How do they call the engine of the GS200 and GS120 in the US or Europe (Clear Engine)?

What's multi-manual ring?

The lens housing does appear longer in the picture.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:32 PM   #10
Outer Circle

Thanks for the info concerning the "crystal engine." Regarding multi-manual ring, I can only make a guess. I assume this ring has more than one function.
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:35 PM   #11
New Boot

Frank,

You sure "pro cinema mode" is included in GS400 ? That is a flag ship feature Pana usually hide from overseas model.

Pana's history record is not that good, you know.
Oliver Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:42 PM   #12
Outer Circle

That's what I got from Pana; it could mean better than GS100 pro cinema mode or worse. I don't have further information yet.
Quote:
Pana usually hide from overseas model. Pana's history record is not that good, you know.
I know. :-))
Old March 21st, 2004, 09:07 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
What's multi-manual ring?
I had a Sony DSC-F717 digital still camera that had a multi-function ring. By flicking a switch it could act as either a zoom or focus ring. Maybe the GS400 will allow even more manual options to be controlled by the ring.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:40 PM   #14
Major Player

Hopefuly one can change also the shutter speed/aperture through that rign or other dial on the outer body (not behind the LCD door)
:))
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #15
Outer Circle

Darn, still no specs. Pana really wants this to be kept a secret until they get their stock from Japan, I was told. The funny thing is that there's a number of online dealers taking pre-orders, but they don't have any specs or even a picture posted! Just the price. How silly. Do consumers really pre-order a cam without knowing what they're buying? Wait! Don't answer that. :-))

Hmmm. Now this is purely speculation. Could the GS400 be the consumer version of the AG-DVC30U? I should have another look at those DVC30 pics and compare them with the GS400 pic. Maybe I should just e-mail Pana and ask and see what happans.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant