953 backup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 26th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #1
Major Player

953 backup

heh all. i don't know if this will suit these forums but i don't know where else to ask it but does anyone know of any software for pc that you can use ur cam through firewire to back up drive. i have heard of one written for mac and am hoping that there might be a similar one for pc. just imagine how much you could fit on one tape you could fit around 10 gig on one tape. beats buying a backup drive and the tapes would be a little cheaper too.

justin
Old March 26th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #2
Major Player

except that you'd put excessive wear on your heads i'd think.
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #3
Outer Circle

If you want to back up your HD, then I suggest not even thinking about using your cam/miniDV tapes. What if you get drop-outs? Ooch! :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Wrangler

Its cheaper to backup to DVD and like Tavis mentioned you're not putting wear on your tape assembly. I recently bought a 8X multi-format burner for $99 ($1200 invested on my camcorder).

Spending $60 will get you either 50 blank DVDs or 15 MiniDV tapes:

50 DVDs = 235GB
15 MiniDV = 195GB

Mileage may vary as I got these prices from BestBuy (DVD) and B&H (Fuji MiniDV).

DVD = 4.7GB
MiniDV = 13GB
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #5
Go Cycle

MiniDV=Native DV

DVD=MPEG2

You can see the loss in quality if you archive on DVD and then send it back to your NLE system.

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : Its cheaper to backup to DVD and like Tavis mentioned you're not putting wear on your tape assembly. I recently bought a 8X multi-format burner for $99 ($1200 invested on my camcorder).

Spending $60 will get you either 50 blank DVDs or 15 MiniDV tapes:

50 DVDs = 235GB
15 MiniDV = 195GB

Mileage may vary as I got these prices from BestBuy (DVD) and B&H (Fuji MiniDV).

DVD = 4.7GB
MiniDV = 13GB -->>>
Old March 26th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

They're not talking about backing up video footage this way. There is a program for the Mac that turns your miniDV vid cam or deck into a tape backup system.

I've not seen one for the PC, yet. I've seen the one for the Mac used and it's pretty cool, but it's more like a "wow toy" than anything else! :-)

If you want tape backup (although I don't know why, CD/DVD takes up less room), then get a dedicated tape backup drive and keep your cam/deck for what they were originally intended.
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 12:54 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
I've not seen one for the PC, yet.
I've seen a few PC hopefuls fizzle over the years but DVStreamer Pro is for PC and seems to be well marketed at least.

http://www.dvstreamer.com/index.shtml

Also it looks like you can't use the entire 13GB on a MiniDV tape as most sites quote 10GB. The $60 comparison would now be 235GB for DVD and 150GB for MiniDV.
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #8
Major Player

I think curtis summed it up. I was just wondering as a matter of interest. i already have two burners and i have 2 80 gig hard drive one being external. i don't think i will be needing any extra space. one argument however for dvd's vs mini dv however is that the idea of backup is that you are keeping them current so it would be no big deal about re writing over a minidv tape and using it again and again. and since dvd-rw are twice the price of normal ones i guess you could say that the camera is a cheaper way. another thing is that tape wear would not be a big deal beacause the fact of the matter is it is not too often that you have to back up 10 gig of anything unless you are into video editing and are doing a lot and in that case you could justify investing in better ways. I can tell you right now that i would much prefer to trust a mini-dv then dvd-r because dvd is still new and the burn on a lot of dvd's still isn't too good. another thing is the suggestion of 1200 vs 100 for investment for cam vs burner, most people have cams already and not dvd burners so unless you are doing several backups a week then you aren't gonna wear out ur tapes overly fast. this in mind it could be a great and convenient alternative. The other good thing is because more people have cams then burners, providing that other people have the program on their computers then the compatibility would be better. If anyone hears of a program i would still be interested purely for curiosity.

Justin
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:32 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
I can tell you right now that i would much prefer to trust a mini-dv then dvd-r.
Odd, I've had several bad MiniDV tapes but I've never had a DVD burn fail over the last two years. DVD-R may be new but burning optical media is very well established.

Quote:
If anyone hears of a program i would still be interested purely for curiosity.
I linked to one in my last post.
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #10
Major Player

yes true tommy, if you play back on the same machine that made the copy but if you try to play it back in another dvd drive then a lot of the time you might have troubles. another thing is that if you wanted to use the disc over and over then you would have to get a dvd-rw and in that case you most definately can't use it unless someone else has a burner. this is what i was talking about when i mentioned incompatibility.

Justin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant